True....Coronavirus Gun Stories....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by V Gehts, Mar 29, 2020.

1. V Gehts

V Gehts

So....Here in the Land of Lincoln,...our elected officials believe that any Illinois resident who wants to defend himself with a firearm must first jump through several “hoops” to attain a Firearms Owner Identification Card or better know here in Illinois as a *FOID* card.
    Once this card/authorization is attained, a resident can now purchase a firearm and ammunition.
    (Sorry my California Bruthers....I know “use guys” have many many more hoops to jump through than Us here in Illinois, but our officials are really trying hard to catchup to ya’s.)
    Another silly “Hoop” we here in Illinois must obey is the *72 hour wait*....better known as the “Cooling Off Period” for us before we can take possession of our new firearm purchase.
    (They claim it takes that long for back ground checks to be completed)....most other States 10-15 minutes tops???? Hmmm...me thinks Illinois gov’ment ain’t greasin’ the right palms....

Anywhooo,.....fast forward to “Today’s New Illinois PANIC Gun Buyer” who’s gotta have a Gun NOW, No Questions asked.

Last week, I visited my LGS while the “Coro-Panic” was full on. The manager (good friend) begins to tell me stories almost to good to be true, and thought I’d pass on a few.....

Several customers wanted to “refund their firearm purchase” because of the *72 hour wait* they were reminded of after the transaction went through. (again, during Illinois FOID application, you are made aware of “Certain Laws”,....and one of them is this *wait time Law*, before you take actual “POSSESSION” of any new to you Firearm.

One guy so *crazy*,...took a 60% loss selling the gun back to the store for ‘store credit’ because he couldn’t take his new gun home with him that day. The friggin’ idiot only handled the gun once for about five minutes during his shopping before he settled on that model.

Others mad because no ammo was to be had for their new purchase, when they came back for their new firearm after the 3 day wait .
    Rushing through the parking lot only to find *No Ammo* signs on the doors.(and shelves completely empty)

Then again, some wanted a refund, until they read the fine print of “No Returns on Firearms or Ammo”.
    Store credit offered on trade ins only. Which is about 40% of the guns value NOT what it sold for.

(Last one I promise)
    Back ground check wait times went from normal 10-15 minute to 7-10 days as of last Tuesday.
    Buyers had to call every day to see if their background check was approved before taking possession.

Long winded I know,....maybe some of you have some good stories to share?
    Anyways,....
    I just shrugged my shoulders and laughed, but am glad I was already prepared....

apmcdaniel, Chui, MedicineBow and 3 others like this.
  2. cciman

cciman

Another gun will not help anyone during this Cov19 pandemic.

Best thing you can do is not to get infected, or to infect 2.5 people, one of which may need to be taken care of using up valuable medical staff, and resources, or potentially infect another 2.5 people......endless mirror. Any of those sick that hit the hospital may possibly infect me as I work there helping those with the infection, then I carry back to my family, and the mirror continues..... The more you splash, the bigger the ripples which turn into waves.

If the trained and qualified frontline workers get sick and can't stand, who will help the sick coming in?

Hopefully we Americans are doing the right things, and this thing becomes a BFD/hoax/hahah thing, but if we don't do it right, then...it will be very ugly, and very long.

familyman357, Jcmg27, Chui and 5 others like this.

3. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

If you are buying when all this started, no matter the qualifications or oddball self fulfilling laws of the state, You are under the bus.
    Buying ammo after the fact and during the panic, same thing.

Chui, 6Actual, jimcorbin and 3 others like this.
  4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

The only good thing to come out of this is that now there are more gun owners and that could make it harder to pass more gun laws because gun owners are now a larger "Constituency" and that means more people with a dog in the fight.

Jcmg27, Speleothem, chemboy and 12 others like this.
  5. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

If things get ugly, another gun will help. I see where you’re coming from, but it doesn’t have to be one or the other. A wise man would do both.

45caldan and -JCN- like this.
  6. Deltic

Deltic

Another gun won't help me because I have guns. For a first time buyer having 1 gun could be a real help.

Jcmg27, Chui, 45caldan and 4 others like this.
  7. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Cooling off periods. . .

I'm mad. . I want to shoot Mr. {x}. But I would never use one of the 20 or so guns I already own. No. . . Instead I'll go a buy a brand new gun from an FFL where the transaction is recorded to go kill Mr. {x}.

Yup

Cooling off periods are total BS.

Just a way for the .Gov to control you.

Jcmg27, Chui, Cambo and 6 others like this.
  8. anjroid86

anjroid86

Decided to go purchase a gun just a couple weeks ago. By the time I decided on what I wanted and where to buy it wait times were 4 days I was told. I went in on a Saturday. 6 days later I was able to pick up my G45. And they could only sell me 1 box of civil defense. Good times.

9. NoStress

NoStress

True. And maybe some will even be able to get rid of some existing ones.

Chui likes this.
  10. DAKA

DAKA

A couple of guns that I had for sale forever got sold for my asking prices!
    I'd decided to sell off the guns I did not enjoy shooting or had not shot in a long time... 3 altogether...(how many 9 mm subcompacts do you need? oops never mind)

jr24, Chui and jimcorbin like this.
  11. Berto

Berto woo woo

I'm glad some people are getting the "ice water to the face' in how gun laws actually work, perhaps these new purchasers will have a more educated opinion next time their politicians pipe up about gun control.
    That said...you can't shoot a virus.

12. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Hope so. Well said.

No ... But inside every virus is a mutant zombie trying to get out. :wow:

Those you can shoot, maybe more than once, and so the fun begins.
    :animlol:

Berto and 45caldan like this.
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Went out yesterday for some large pistol primers. Small pistol and small rifle were out of stock, as the tactical nerds try to figure out how to reload 9mm and 5.56, but plenty of large pistol at Sportsman's Warehouse for under $25 per 1,000, which I thought was pretty good. On the down side, they limited it to 1,000 per day, so I may go back today and get another 1,000. I have always been curious who the people are that buy primers by the hundred and I wonder if they own guns. I don't think I have ever bought less than 1,000.

On the gun front, everything at Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabela's seemed to be pretty well stocked up and very few customers. Nothing else is open on Sunday, or I'd have stopped by Bud's to see what was going on at places that actually sell guns (at Cabela's prices, you'd save 30-80% on anything by driving a couple of miles down the road to Bud's).

14. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Perhaps this will sew the seeds for some conservatives to win in districts that are on the fringe of solidly-held Democrat areas in the idiot zones of IL. I am not expecting miracles just maybe some baby steps. Methinks many of these impatient people never even considered the 2nd Amendment when voting.

orangejeep06, Chui and 45caldan like this.
  15. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

I live in one of the most gun saturated states in America. CCW permit holders do not have to undergo a background check for a retail sale, and private sales without background checks are permitted. I went to the local Sportsman's Warehouse to pick up some cleaning patches yesterday, and I could not believe what I saw. The handgun display board had very few guns remaining. The glass display cases with the higher-end handguns only had a few guns left. Long gun racks had a bunch of empty slots previously occupied by guns. There was almost no factory ammunition. There were about 3 packs of 100 primers left and almost no powder remaining in the reloading section. I imagine that the private sale and "loaner" or donation market would be similarly active. Just crazy. I never would have imagined that happening here.

Will Beararms and Chui like this.
  16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

But you can shoot the bands of scavengers who try to steal your toilet paper hoard.
    [​IMG]

orangejeep06, NoJoy, Berto and 6 others like this.
  17. Mister X

Mister X

The type of person who doesn’t own any firearms or ammunition yet suddenly freaks out and tries to panic buy one because of something like the coronavirus is perhaps the type of person I would rather not immediately be able to get access to a gun or own one at all.

18. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

I picked up an ar lower last week. I think the background check went thru in about 30 seconds....and I have a very common last name.

jimcorbin likes this.
  19. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

The waiting periods were first established due to a number of people buying a gun and then using it to kill someone that same day(didn't work). One gun a month was an attempt to limit straw buying(Once again didn't work).
    during this virus thing people are running scared as they see a future of violent people killing and stealing. When this is all over the Democrats will just revert to what they were before.

Chui likes this.
  20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Sadly true. The left will switch from "OMG! The government can't protect me" to "The government will take care of everything," like the flip of a switch. Otherwise, they'd have to admit their entire worldview and belief system is false.
    [​IMG]