close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Truck food for Texas

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Annhl8rX, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

The EDC bag thread got me thinking. Actually, this is something I've been thinking about for a while. I have a supply of emergency food at the house, but I'd like to keep some in my truck as well.

What could I put in there that would be stable in the heat and cold? I'm in north Texas, so the summers are hot. 100 degrees are the norm, with temps inside a vehicle being much higher. It can also get cold here. Nothing extreme, but I'd need something that could withstand freezing temps.

Will MREs handle this job? If so, I imagine they'd have to be replaced more frequently than when stored in a climate controlled house.

2. gigab1te

gigab1te

I've got similar weather to you here in Northern AZ. I keep a half dozen cans of Stagg Dynamite Hot chili in my truck, and rotate it out once a year. I've been doing this for years, and the chili always tastes fine after a year in the truck.

3. cesaros

cesaros

MRE's will last through pretty much everything..they're packaged so well, and have so many preservatives, the climate won't hurt them.

4. bmoore

bmoore

I would imagine that if MRE's can go to Iraq and Ahfganistan they can handle Texas. We keep them on our fire engines year round with zero problems. Our district see's temps from 32 or so during winter up to 110 some days in the summer

5. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Anything canned...sardines, potted meat, vienna sausage, etc. The same stuff you'd carry camping or hunting.

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Half opened jars of mayonnaise should work well.

7. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

German potato salad I'm thinking.

8. Adjuster

Adjuster

Also any completely dry foods would not be harmed by temperature up or down. Maybe something like a box of oats or a bag of rice. Granted you would need water and fire or engine heat but a box of oats or a bag of rice would be a lot of food energy in a very small and easily stowable package.

/
    /

9. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

I don't think they're required to last very long in Iraq and Afghanistan, though. The fact that you keep them on the fire engines year round tells me more about how they would work for my uses.

10. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

If you're eating emergency food out of your truck, I would skip food that needs to be cooked.

I keep 2 cans of hormel turkey chili, 2 packages of those peanut butter/cracker snacks, jerky and 4 bottles of water in my truck.

I haven't had the chance to deploy after being caught in a nuke or EMP attack yet, but they come in handy on the road a lot.