Glock Talk banner

Truck eye candy, 1978 F-250 Lariat with 139mi. They don't build'em like they used to.

1589 Views 21 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Borderland
They really don't build'em like they used to, and this video is proof that's a mixed bag. The fit/finish on this truck and paint quality ... is pretty bad. Because it has fewer miles on it than some cars sold as new do when buyers take delivery, and it sat indoors and untouched for 42 years, it's a rare time capsule look at exactly what a loaded 1978 F-250 was like right from the factory. Beautiful from across the room, but crude and fragile to deterioration on closer inspection.

Unfortunately the video plays a little like a commercial for the car care products made by the company that posted it. But I just watched for the eye candy and the nostalgia. They don't build 'em like this anymore, which is a shame. And a good thing.

edit: corrected to F-250. I originally titled thread as F-150. Not that it matters a lot, but for the sake of being correct.
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Values. Can't be bought.
16,204 Posts
Just found this thread. Here is a pic of me with the truck from 1981. I bought this 77 F150 for my construction job.
300 CID 6 cylinder and a three on the tree. 2wd, no big deal as I worked in DC area.
I once noticed the gas mileage dropped, but the only symptom was rough idle when cold. The carb was loose, 2 of 3 attachment nuts were missing and the last one was loose. It was reliable.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

· Registered
5,681 Posts
Just found this thread. Here is a pic of me with the truck from 1981. I bought this 77 F150 for my construction job.
300 CID 6 cylinder and a three on the tree. 2wd, no big deal as I worked in DC area.
I once noticed the gas mileage dropped, but the only symptom was rough idle when cold. The carb was loose, 2 of 3 attachment nuts were missing and the last one was loose. It was reliable.

View attachment 1122935
Deleted. I saw I already posted in this tread.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts