close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TRP first range report, mixed reviews

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Loudcherokee, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Loudcherokee

Loudcherokee SouthPawGlocker

Ok. So, I went to the range today. 310 rounds were sent down range. I fired 60, then field stripped, cleaned, lubed, and greased the gun. Fired 150 more, field stripped, cleaned, lubed, and greased the gun again, then fired another 100. Here were the results.

First magazine through the gun, slide didn't lock back on empty. This was a springfield mag that came with the gun. No issues after this, and they locked back every time. 60 rounds of Blazer brass FMJ 230 grain.

After the first cleaning, I had 3 failure to feeds. Each time, it was on the last round of the magazine, and it was both of the springfield magazines that came with the gun. This was 142 rounds of Federal 230 grain FMJ that came in a bulk packaging box of 250. Just loose rounds in a bag. The Chip McCormick powermags functioned flawlessly. I did also fire 8 rounds of Winchester Ranger SXT 230 grain, out of one of the Chip McCormick mags, and they all fed with no problems.

Stripped the gun the second time, and in the last 100 rounds I had 2 more failure to feeds, both out of the springer mags. None of this failure to feed stuff happened with the Blazer ammo, but it also didn't happen with the Chip McCormick mags. By my logic, I'm thinking maybe it's the springer mags.

All in all, it was a good day, regardless of the FTF problems. I did get to shoot my gun, and it shot 305 rounds with no problems. It feels great, and my rough slide problems loosened up after the first cleaning. I did get some grease too, so that may have helped. The front strap checkering is going to take some getting used to. That stuff is sharp. I'll see how future range trips go before I break out the file.

Accuracy was good for the most part, from 15 yards and in. 25 yards? I need some practice. I'm convinced you guys that are shooting 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards are using scopes, gun vises, and robotic fingers to press the triggers! :biglaugh:

Here's some pics.

My first try at 25 yards. I am a lefty, so I think shooting to the right might just be me. Not sure though. It was consistently to the right.
    [​IMG]

More 25 yard shooting. This was after the second cleaning. All those holes on that board are NOT mine, lol. I think the big chunk gone to the right of the target was me though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Time for a bath!
    [​IMG]

These are at 25 yards, and I was hitting them consistently -
    [​IMG]

So, I now have a dilemma.

I was going to spend $100 and send in my loaded coupon for 10 blued 7 round mags. Now with the problems I was having with the springer mags, I'm not sure. I'm thinking maybe I'll use the $100 for 3 more Chip McCormick mags. I'm just not sure yet. Did I just get dud mags? It was both mags though, not just one.

Thoughts? Opinions? Criticism welcome!

LC

2. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

Take the gun and fire another 500 rounds through it before you clean it. That first cleaning after 50 rounds was IMHO unnecessary. Number your Springer mags and see which one functions and which does not. You need to break this thing in. TRP's are fairly tight guns and they need some shooting to loosen up some. Let that carbon build up a little and the metal surfaces on the inside do their thing. I has a TRP (regret selling it) and it was a great gun. Once mine was broken in it feed any ammo and shot fine with any mag I put into it. Wilson, Novak, CMC, Tripp, etc.

As for the checkering, it is sharp, but provides a great grip. The only thing my wife did not like about the gun. It will soften some the more you use your gun. You could lightly sand it down, or send it into SA and have them do it.

Good luck and congrats on your gun.
    :wavey:

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I would suggest Wilson Combat 47d or Wilson Combat ETM.
    I have had the best success with these mags. Tripp mags are great as well.

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

first failure of the slide not locking back could have been your support thumb holding the slide stop down.

you were cleaning too often, should've let it go longer than 60rounds before the first cleaning.

definitely sounds like a mag issue. didn't have an issue with my TRP mags, but one of my Loaded's had a FTF on the last round problem. switched to some cheapo mags (i think i got them from midway 10 for $50) and it worked fine. the SA mags that it had problems with had a little dimple on the follower.

with break-in i use a slurry to lap the frame & slide before taking it to the range. never had a problem, except for my EMP which was an overly tight extractor, but that was easy to fix at the range.

5. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Edit until more info....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  6. Starbelly

Starbelly

First off all I have to vent for a sec because I'm getting more and more upset with myself for selling my TRP:steamed: .... ok that's over. Ok, the stock springfield mags didn't work in my TRP either, the Wilsons ran fine. I like the ETMs. Second, the gun has a tight match grade chamber and so you may get some ftf's on even slightly out of spec ammo until it is well broken in. Third, check the extractor tension. Mine was too tight from the factory and the casing would bind as the round was being chambered. I loosened it and did the shake test and everything was 100% (just not with the factory mags) Last, I am also left handed and would say from your targets that you have too much finger on the trigger. Try just the pad directly behind the center of your fingernail. I was able to hit an eight inch steel plate from 50 yds 90% of the time. And never missing from inside 30 yds. I certainly can't do that with any of my plastic guns. Enjoy your Gun!!!!

7. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

I agree.

OP: as for shooting to the right, that's common among us lefties. As trigger prep and press is vital, I've also noticed that finger pad placement varies somewhat from gun to gun to get zeroed in. Try the (dry fire) wall drill and you'll see what going on with the sights. :wavey:

8. Ruggles

Ruggles

Good review, nice work. :)

I agree the mags sound like the issue. I also agree too much cleaning but I do not agree with the whole break in stuff. I really do not see why a gun needs that many rounds to "break in". My Baer did not nor did my Brown and my Kimber I shot for the first time last month did not either.

I think the whole 100s & 100s of rounds to break is silly, but then I have been known to be wrong before. :wavey:

9. CMG

CMG

My Springfield mags are still new (waiting on new springs from Wolff) as I rarely have good performance from issue mags without changing the springs.

The Kimber Tac-Pro mags worked great in my TRP, no feed issues at all... and they are not terribly expensive.

10. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Quoted for truth. Springfield should make the Powermag the official magazine of TRP.

MF

11. BubbaShoots

BubbaShoots

My TRP doesn't like Blazer. I use Remington and Winchester White Box. for target and Corbon JHP for defense.
    Load your mags and let them set for 48 hours...worked for me.
    Wilson ETM's work flawless in my TRP. My Springfield mags work better after I loaded them for 48 hours. I am not an engineer so I can't explain it other than personal experience.

12. watarski

watarski

I echo above statement. CMC mags FTW in the TRP.

13. Loudcherokee

I'll give this a try this weekend. I plan on getting another box of 250 to go through on Saturday. I was about to number my mags, as I set the first one aside, but then the other springer mag did the same thing. That's how I determined it was both the stock mags.

I was following a break-in procedure suggested by someone else. Did cleaning it cause the malf?

I'm not sure what caused the first issue. I'm a lefty, so it wasn't my thumb. Probably just a fluke, because every mag after that stopped open just fine.

My mags have the dimple on the follower as well. Hmmm. Wonder if Springfield will replace them?

What do you mean by slurry?

How do you check this, and what is a shake test?

Yeah, I noticed this with my other guns as well, just never this extreme. The trigger is definately going to take some getting used to. I'll mess around with my finger placement on my next range trip, as well as the dry-firing trick.

haha. This isn't the first I've seen this. When I get some more rounds, I'll load my mags up and let em sit, lol.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I appreciate it. Learning more and more about this 1911 stuff every day.

LC

14. Quack

Quack Rent this space

a slurry is a mix of JB Bore cleaning compound and gun oil.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=53090

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  15. Loudcherokee

Thanks Quack! Something else to look for at the gun store on Saturday!

And also, thank you again for the advice on helping me pick out my first 1911. Much appreciated.

LC

16. Starbelly

Starbelly

I'm not an expert, so that's just what I call it (and experts feel free to chime in or correct me if this isn't the case and there are better instructions available online that I'm sure you can find.). How I understand it, the extractor should be tensioned enough so that it controls the case while stripping it from the chamber, but not so tight that it causes the case to bind either while it is being fed or extracted. If it is too loose you get ejection problems like eratic ejection or stovepiping. If it's too tight, the case has a hard time slipping up under the extractor while being chambered, because it is being fed at an angle. An easy way to check the tension without a scale or gauge is to field strip the gun and manually slip a round (I use a live round, not an empty case...just be very careful and follow safety rules) under the extractor. It should require a little push but not a lot. The extractor should hold the round in place, even with a little shaking. If you shake the slide a little harder it should fall out. That's why I call it the "shake test." It's basically just an easy way to test the tension while you are at the range. If you need to adjust the tension, you can just bend the extractor a little, and I mean "a little." To do that, just pop the extractor out about half way and push to the left to tighten or right to loosen. for example, when my TRP was new the round would stay put even with violent shaking. ....or just get an Aftec (spring loaded extractor and forget about it)

17. hatidua

hatidua

I've had 100% perfect luck with the $9 Springfield mags in every model Springfield I've owned (Mil-Spec x2, MC-Operator, TRP x2, Professional x4). If the OP doesn't want the mags on the Loaded form, I'll buy 'em!

18. coal

coal

How to check and adjust your extractor

I've had luck just bending/adjusting the extractor via the "extractor channel" method (remove partway to the extractor lug, then bend). I'm sure some will gasp over this practice. So, you can also buy the tension tool that does the same thing, or have a 'smith do it. Whatever works.

My SA Loaded ran with any mag. Of course that gun was loose, and not super tight with groups. But, it would not jam.

I do prefer skirted mags so the follower does not hammer the feedramp. I've been pleased recently with the Kimber Tac mags. Of course Wilson, Tripp and CMC Power Mage are nice, too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  19. MastiffMan

MastiffMan

Nice report and I agree about the mags..

20. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Make sure you didn't put the spring on the guide rod backwards. Small thing but can cause major problems.