close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trout Recipes?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Wulfenite, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Cross posted from Food Forum.

Any good trout recipes? My neighbor brough some over. I'd prefer something that involves grilling to avoid smelling up the kitchen.

2. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

soak 1-2 hours in dilute brine solution w/lemon juice added.

lay fillet on 1/2 inch apple or mesquite plank that has been soaked in water overnight.

sprinkle on basil (fresh best) and s&p, and more lemon juice (you can add a little lemon zest if you like)

lay plank on medium heat grill and cover for 20-30 minutes (vent open for draught) depending on the thickness of the fish. (try not to open the grill lid, you want all that smoke in there.)

or for very simple: my favorite is just grilled w/butter and lemon pepper. A little sea salt at the end for taste and chow down.

3. Skyhook

Skyhook

One of my old Mohawk male relatives taught us to pack the fish in fresh clay, toss it in the coals, wait about 15 min,(tapping the clay with a dried maple stick until the return noise kinda rings), flick the trout from the coals, let it cool a little, then break the 'packaged trout' container and eat. Outstanding fish!

4. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Trout?

I trade for a Hershey bar, then just peel and eat.

Steelhead (sea-going trout) are good, grayling OK, Dolly Varden are...well nasty. It is hard to find anyone to trade me a candy bar for a dolly.
    Just my opinion.

I like my fish baked or fried gently and never smothered with a sauce that will ruin the flavor of the fish. The simpler, the better.

5. pdxbubba

pdxbubba

Hate to see anyone forced to eat these easy to catch over-grown minnows.

Like carp, if you batter 'em and season the heck out of 'em... they may be edible.

6. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

Depends on the size if there the size were you can cook em whole, i like to clean them whole, and scale, then place on a sheet of tin foil, take butter or margerene, and spread it along the back bone, then take salt and pepper and season, next take a beer, any beer you have on hand dump it on the fish inside and out, wrap up the fish in tinfoil, and put on the grill, over a medium low heat, you can also use wine if you dont have beer, or for a different flavor, hell use what ever alcohol you want, just dont catch it on fire.

7. jeager

jeager

in the backcountry, FRESH off the line, lemon pepper and dill in foil

save the beer or wine (or tequila) for afters

J
    M