close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trouble upgrading vid drivers on your laptop? Read here.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nephilim, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Baby Face Off Lifetime Member

I've got a sony laptop and they are slow as hell to update their officially supported drivers. The driver for my ATI video card hasn't been updated on Sony's website since 2003. Compounding the problem the install program supplied by ATI won't recongize my video card.

Turns out I wasn't the only one with this problem. If you've had trouble upgrading on your laptop (sony or otherwise) check out this link:

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

Its the only thing that worked for me :)

2. BOB THEDOG

BOB THEDOG Member me?

That happens a lot with legacy hardware or "non-typical" operating systems.

I go to driverguide.com a lot.

Use this username:drivers
    And this password: all

And you wont have to register...

3. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

You know you have just branded yourself as a techie, don't you? How long has that username and password worked? I know I've been using it for at least 6 years, maybe more. I don't know how many times driverguide.com saved my butt when someone with an ancient computer wanted it fixed.

4. Blue59

Blue59

Many times if you can find out (online) what video-processor your videocard is based on, you can get updated basic drivers right off the video-chip manufacturer's site. Doesn't matter if it's a desktop or laptop.

Another trick to remember (for older computers) is that computer models that are sold in both the US and Europe are often kept in the available selections in Europe longer than in the US. So the European sites are often still supplying updated drivers long after the US sites have stopped--sometimes 2-3 years or longer. If the latest drivers on the US site are old, try looking around on the "UK" version site of the same company for newer drivers.
    ~

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Baby Face Off Lifetime Member

Well the whole point of this particular trick is the Sony hasn't updated the driver on their website, and the mobile drivers (Catalyst 6.3 in the case of my chip) on the manufacturers website won't install on sony laptops. If you download them it just flat out says the computer is incompatible. So the above program is pretty much a patch for the download from the ATI site to allow it to be installed.

6. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I've been using Omega drivers on my lappy without a problem. Heck I couldnt even get COD1 to work before the drivers, i could play BF2(not well) after.