close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trouble configuring Wireless Network Adapter under Win98

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by AC37, Nov 17, 2006.

1. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

I have a Netgear WG111v2 Wireless adapter I'm trying to install on a computer right now, running under Windows 98. I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the darned thing to work. The drivers/wireless utility get done installing, then an error message of "Your system allows only 1 instance(s) of IEEE 802.1X Protocol" comes up, and even though everything looks like it installed fine, the wireless adapter won't work, the light on it won't even turn on, and there's an error message of "Code 28" in the hardware profiles section, which says the drivers for the device aren't installed. I know the wireless adapter is good as I've used it quite recently on another computer, and I know this computer can do wireless, as I recently had another Wireless Adapter, a Belkin, installed on the system I'm having problems with right now. And I've tried resets, believe me...the system has already forced two dozen or so on me so far in my attempts to get this working. It seems to follow that even though I removed the Belkin utilities using the Windows "Add/Remove Program" section, that somehow not everything got de-installed properly, and somehow the Belkin wireless utilities have permanently altered the registry or somesuch, and one of those changes is preventing the Netgear utility from configuring itself properly. Any ideas on how to fix this, short of a complete wipe and reinstall? I'm at my wit's end on this, and to add insult to injury, every time I've starting de-installing the new Netgear wireless drivers, Windows starts looking for a couple DLL and a few other miscellaneous files it says it can't find, even though a simple search turns them up on the hard drive in Windows directories, then, even after pointing Windows to them (or not - tried skipping the files too to see if it made any difference), the system resets itself automatically and when the system starts back up my display drivers for my video card have apparently been deleted by Windows, and I'm stuck in 16 color mode until I manually re-install the display drivers from the disk...which requires 2-3 more forcible resets, and then the cycle repeats if I try to deinstall the Netgear drivers again. Arrrrrggggh. Please help. TIA.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Netgear says Windows 98 SE but not older windows 98.Even with the so called SE updates in the older version there is still a difference between the two.The CD that comes with it I think only has driver version 1.3.Driver versions 1.4 and 2.0 are out now.Driver 2.0 is suppose to have fixed the Windows 98 SE graphical interface hanging problem.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wg111v2.asp

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Windows 98 lacks some needed software that MS never added or even fixed what is there.Here are some really needed Windows 98 programs that make up for what's missing.

Ccleaner makes up for Windows 98 "Disk Cleanup" which DOES NOT WORK.

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

Diskeeper Lite is a faster and BETTER defrag program for Windows 98.It's so good that MS bought it for use in Windows XP and a few other newer versions of Windows.

http://majorgeeks.com/Diskeeper_Lite_d1207.html

4. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

It is Windows 98 SE, sorry for the confusion.

5. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

Looks like the drivers on the site were mislabelled and I somehow ended up with the wrong one, I just downloaded the correct 2.0 driver and everything works beautifully now, I'm posting/browsing online via the wireless connection on it right this very second. Thanks so much for the help (again), Washington,D.C.! :)

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Try those two programs in Windows 98 SE.The defrag program is the same one MS bought for ME,2000 and XP.It's not unistallable but is 100 times better than the 98 defrag program.It will replace it so the old original defrag program won't work after installing.Ccleaner makes up for a flaw in 98 Disk Clean up that doesn't work and MS never fixed it in 98.