close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling for Trout

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mattyk6, Jun 3, 2003.

1. mattyk6

mattyk6

My dad and I just started trolling for rainbow trout and we are hooked (literally, never knew how hard it was to un-hook a treble hook from a flannel shirt). But we're not really sure what setup works best.

We have been using a 4" Dodger, then a 24" leader, and then a variety of lures. I really like the Yellow Roostertail.

What are you using?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Gunlawyer

Gunlawyer

For years up in the clear lakes of Northern Vermont I have had great luck just hooking a shiner through the lips and letting it out maybe 80 yds at most and then simply paddling around in a canoe. Very peaceful. And in the spring just after ice out, man the Lakers would really fall for it. Really quiet, simple and subtle. It tricks the ones well used to trolling motors and noise as well as the standard tactics.

3. fajizzle nizzle

fajizzle nizzle

I like trolling flies. You can do with or without a dodger. A lot of things will work behind a dodger: worms, flies, small spoons, spikes.

4. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

Try ditching the dodgers and flashers and other junk...last two times I went boat-fishing, I was with a friend, and while we were moving, we trolled rooster tails. Nothing else on the line, just the rooster tail. (Okay, we did use one Blue Fox too, in raindow-trout color)

Last trip we boated 6 fish in a total of 2 hours trolling. Time before that was 3 fish in an hour (the rest of our fishing time was spent casting spinners/lures toward shore while drifting, or anchoring near shore and fishing lures/baits/flies close to shore)

Other guy we talked to on the lake was trolling with the dodger/flasher setup in front of the spinners, and he didn't do as well as we did.

Our trolling setup was really spartan...my rod is a Lurh Jensen 6 foot ultra-light, with a Shimano 4000 reel, loaded up with 4 lb line. I was fishing yellow or bright green rooster tails. My friend was fishing a 7 foot ultra-light Quantum Teton rod with 2000 series Shimano, loaded with 4 lb line. Lure choices were the rainbow colored Blue Fox, and a pink rooster tail. All those lures produced fish. Trolling speed was slow, maybe 2mph? We were fishing from a 12 foot fiberglass boat powered by Minn-Kota trolling motor (not sure on the lb thrust, I want to say 35lb thrust, but not sure exactly) I was driving, and would keep it on the first speed of the motor. Occasionally bumped it to 2nd, then cut the power, then back to 1. Kinda varied the action on the spinner. Caught a couple fish this way.

We'd let out approximately 70-130 feet of line out (to vary depth) Our fish were all in the first 10 feet of the water column, and we were fishing water that had an average depth of 20 to 30 feet. Weather was overcast, about 65 degrees, with a slight wind.

5. PhatGuru

PhatGuru Kydex Member

Small pop geer with about 18" leader and a wedding ring tipped with white corn soaked in anise glo-scent. Absolutely kills em!

My latest fishing pics can be seen at my fishing site