close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Triumph Tiger

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by NDGlock, Mar 28, 2006.

1. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

What is your opinion of the Triumph Tiger?

Sometime down the road, I want to trade in my VTX 1800 C for something a little more versatile¡Ksomething that can be ridden on gravel roads w/out a problem.

My VTX has a 4.8 gallon tank. The Tiger has something like 6.5 gallons¡K.giving it over 300 mile range.

I checked out the local Triumph dealer today and it rides comfortably. I am tall so the height is just right. There is an option to put on that has the forward highway pegs so that is handy.

My only complaint is the chain drive (my VTX 1800 is shaft drive) and maybe the dated design. The dealer told me they have a chain to belt conversion available and that a new model might be out in 2008¡K.

Anyway, what is your opinion of the Tiger? It is certainly cheaper than a BMW 1200 GS, which would be my other choice for the role I seek. The nearest BMW cycle dealer is about 250 miles away. The nearest Triumph dealer is about 4 miles awayļ

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Its offroading capabilities are extremely limited. Just so that you know and don't expect more of it than you would, say, a BMW R1200GS or a KTM 950 Adventure.

It, along with the Aprilia Caponord and Suzuki V-Strom are a lot cheaper than the Beemer or the KaToom for a good reason.

3. MatGlock

MatGlock

I've got a 98 tiger I have put about 66,000 miles on. Very versitile machine. Too heavy and expensive to do true off roading with. I have ridden mine coast to coast a few times as well. Excellent value- fit and finish better than jap bikes. I would argue that at least in my experience they are more reliable than jap bikes or BMW. Parts availability SUCKS, though. Luckily mine has not needed anything but oil filters and bearings (wheel and steering head) and tires and chains. Chain drive is a pain, but simple to fix. Mine has tube tires which are impossible to fix in the field if you get a nail. I think the new ones are tubeless.

4. BikerRN

BikerRN

I'm partial to the Kawasaki KLR 650.

Of all the bikes mentioned here I think it's on par with the big GS's but not as "dirt-worthy" as the KTM 950. I went and looked at a 950 today, if I was rich I'd have one. Right now I'll just stay with my Evangelina and the wife will stick with her Fabio The Itallion Stallion.

HT, notice the name? ;)

5. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

While I'm not looking for a true-offroader, I'm looking for something that can handle loose gravel roads better than a 704 lb cruiser:)

Given that the nearest BMW dealership is 250 miles away and the Triumph dealership is in town, I may have to look at Tigers more.

The 6.5 gallon tank and 300 mile range (highway) is pretty attractive.

I'd have to get the highway peg/guard installed and maybe a chain to belt conversion.

Or, I could wait a couple years until the rumored redesign comes out....

In the meantime:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64652

6. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

One of the Brit magazines tested the BMW and Tiger side by side.
    They liked the BMW slightly better overall, but both were very similar. I think the dealer proximity would definately overide any slight advantage the BMW has over the Tiger.
    The Kawasaki KLR 650 is nice, but the 650 single cylinder is very buzzy at 60+mph, and is not near the highway bike the others are.

7. BikerRN

BikerRN

Very true about the KLR not being a highway bike, but I'd use it for dirt roads and "Adventure Touring". :)

I like the KTM, seems a little more "dirt worthy" than the BMW, to me at least. I'd say the Tiger is 75% street and 25% dirt road. I like the look and range of the Tiger, but I'm partial to the KTM. I want one! I know I won't be getting one though. Evangelina and Fabio need to be paid off, and then I need to get an SV 650 for the track. :)

Take care and have fun, whatever you ride. :cool: