close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Triple dipping

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by southernshooter, Feb 25, 2010.

1. southernshooter

southernshooter

I know someone who is getting unemployment, military retirement and social security. I asked if that is legal and they say that it is. Had to google that. It looks like it is legal. Only 19 states have what they call an "offset" where unemployment is reduced by the amount of social security-and of those 19 some are only 50% offset. Seems somewhat amazing, although I can see that the person has "paid in" to these programs one would assume that you could not collect both s/s and unemployment at the same time.

2. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Thank them for me for serving a career in the military.

3. chuckman

chuckman

It is legal. I know a few in the same boat.

4. coondog22554

coondog22554 Lifetime Member

And unlike 40% of Americans I bet he pays federal income taxes on his income.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I have no problem with it,..........
    He EARNED his Military retirement.
    He EARNED his Social Security.
    He EARNED his unemployment.

Please tell that Soldier/Sailor/Marine/Airman I said thank you for his Service. :patriot:

6. rd3

rd3

Just a point, you don't "pay into" unemployment, the employer pays the unemployment unless something has changed recently.

I don't have a problem with it either

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I was not aware that you can collect social security, and unemployment simultaneously.

I have zero issues with him collecting his military retirement, unemployment and social security.

Military retirement = he did his contractually agreed upon time
    Social Security = he worked for a minimum # of years
    Unemployment = Tough assed old salt is still working

:)

'Drew

8. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Pulled his weight better than any congress critter!!
    :supergrin::supergrin:

9. Flatulence

Flatulence 5X EMU Champion

Military retirement = he earned it
    Social Security = he paid for it (SS must end though, not for him but for future generations)
    Unemployment = Is he looking for a new job? I hope he finds one, sounds like he likes to work. More than I can say for many people.

10. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Military Retirement? Yep, you bet he earned it.

As for "earning" any part of the other two, that is exactly the train of thought that will sink this Country, greedy son of a guns we are.

11. okie

okie GT Mayor

This:supergrin:

12. shortstack

shortstack

damn right.

13. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

It may sound like splitting hairs to you but I DO "pay into" unemployment.

Every employer counts your unemployment insurance as part of your "compensation package." Trust me, it's listed right there on my "Total Compensation Summary," along with Medicare and SSI.

If one could elect not to have the employer pay unemployment insurance and instead take the pay increase AND still collect unemployment which the employer had to pay out of their own pocket, I would agree with your premise.

So, but for my working my butt off for my employer, there would be no "pay" to put into unemployment insurance.

That's like saying people who get health insurance at no cost from their employer don't "pay" for it. They do, the cost of the program is deducted from your hourly/weekly/monthly wages, it just happens before they offer you a wage.

By the way, I don't have a problem with people collecting from programs they've earned either. Anyone who did a long enough stint to retire from the .mil, is old enough (and hence worked long enough) to collect SSI and who has had a job recently enough to get back the UI he paid in is "aces" in my book.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

We not only "earn" our social security - we pay it for ourselves and for some other people who have never worked and paid in. Since he worked long enough to retire and is still working, he paid in what he is getting back as well as what a family of ghetto thugs are drawing.

And, as said above, we pay into unemployment as well, even if it is not as directly cut out of our checks as social security.

Sounds like the guy is getting nothing back but his own money and the interest it has earned over the years.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  15. Steve0853

Steve0853

I think the guy is doing just fine with keeping all the balls in the air.

But for some of you who seem to think that because he's retired military, that he's well into geezerhood, you do realize that its possible to retire from the military at age 38???

16. racerford

racerford

Well, unless he is really on SSI disability, he is at least 62 years of age. I don't know if that is geezerhood (as i get closer I would say no:supergrin:), but it would seem to at least be on the way.

Depending on how hard your 20 years in the military were, 38 may be close to worn out.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  17. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

If he's collecting SSI disability he wouldn't be eligible for unemployment because he would have been unemployabe. Unless the reason for his unemployment was a permanently disabling accident or injury.

It's safe to say he's a geezer.

18. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

I don't have a problem with someone receiving unemployment while receiving military pension and social security. As long as they can prove they're willing to work, and looking for work.

What I do have a problem with:

In SC, anyone who participates in the state pension program who makes less than $50K per year can retire without leaving their job. They, then, continue to work, continue to get paid, and draw their state pension. This was done to help retain experienced teachers. But, due to the fact that everyone has to be treated the same, anyone who is eligible for a state pension can do the same thing. This includes law enforcement.

If that's not bad enough, you have people like the sheriff of the county in which I live. He made too much to qualify, so he asked the county council to reduce his pay. They dropped it to $49,999.00. He retired, and started drawing his pension. Then, the following year, his pay was not only raised back to what is was previously, they gave him another 12 or 14 percent on top of the previous salary. (I don't recall the exact numbers.) This is wrong. I don't care who you are.

19. Kith

Kith

The quickest way to deal with that would be to spell it out to a reporter. If they run a column on it giving the blow by blow on what happened, there should be some sort of local backlash.

Just send in an anonymous letter with all the details, the reporter will do the rest. Just make sure you pick the right reporter, and send the letter to them directly.

20. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

I thought employers paid into the Unemployment fund... not employees.