trip to local range ...ruger lcp 380 ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by wallyglock, Jul 30, 2018.

1. wallyglock

wallyglock

went to local range friday . took my ruger sp 357 & colt 1991 45 acp. got some meaningful practice with both bout 25' with the magnum & 30' plus for the full size 45 . one hand shooting & semi-rapid fire was accomplished with both guns , decent results ..... even the 357 with magnum loads ! near center target hits 80 % of t he time
    met some new folks , nice people . the wife of a guy there had bought her a lcp 380 . she was practicing from around 20 ' . her shots where widely scattered even in very slow fire . yep , we have all had this with a new shooting iron i would guess ! when she came over to shooters bench i had a good look at her new gun , those lcp's are tiny . i took out my glock 43 & showed her , my glock looked huge in comparison & it is only an 18 ounce gun ! i just was thinking that i would not like to try & train someone on that tiny of a carry piece even at close range . i bet given 10 minutes with her i would have her shooting my 45 much better than the lcp .
    we talked a bit and i departed , wishing her luck with her purchase.

2. David2015

David2015

I have a LCP with Crimson Trace laser that I sometimes carry when my larger guns aren't appropriate for what I'm wearing or where I'm going. LCP's are pretty much a belly to belly gun, but I have no trouble at all putting rounds in center mass at 20 ft using the laser. I use Hornady Critical Defense rounds. It does have a bit of a snap, but its a nice mouse gun for pocket carry. Any gun is better than no gun. A .22LR would certainly not be my first choice, but I'd carry one if that was all I had or could afford. I don't knock anyone for what they carry.. even a High Point. I don't know their financial situation or if they had a immediate need for something to defend themselves and didn't take time to save up for something better. Some people aren't gun savvy.. I'm not gonna hold that against them if they chose something I myself wouldn't carry.

glock1097, GlockyQ, Teecher45 and 2 others like this.

3. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

It was more difficult for me to shoot well with my LCP then many other of my guns.

But now I can reliably hit an (empty) propane tank at 40 yards with it. The holdover is about 2 feet. lol the sights aren’t exactly zeroed for much over 7 yards.

happie2shoot, glock1097 and treg like this.
  4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

LCP carries better than those other guns, and weighs half as much.

I think mine will shoot 6" at 25 yards when benched. That's plenty accurate. Off hand, delivers that same size group at 21 feet :)

CBennett, pgg00, TxGun and 4 others like this.
  5. tjpet

tjpet

With a Hogue grip, some paint on the front sight, and learning to manage the trigger the lcp can do some impressive shooting out to the 21ft standard for hideout/defensive handguns.

TxGun, edellson, banger and 4 others like this.
  6. Dave.1

Dave.1

I bought a LCP II last year when Palmetto had them for $199 with free shipping.

Haven't really shot it much but at 25' one handed it shot right where I was aiming. Nice pistol for the money and a real improvement on the original LCP trigger.

Dave

Caver 60 likes this.
  7. DAKA

DAKA

And, it's something you can ALWAYS have with you.

Teecher45, Caver 60 and David2015 like this.
  8. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

LCP II all day long at 7 yards with quality ammo !

glock1097, Teecher45 and Caver 60 like this.
  9. David2015

David2015

A propane tank like this?

[​IMG]

or one like this?
    [​IMG]

:kidding:

10. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

had a similar experience when i started shooting handguns..

had a ruger lc9s (nice, but small).. i could keep my shots on the paper but that was about it. no real grouping at all.

then i borrowed a friends full sized sig 1911 45.. now THAT baby i can shoot!

11. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I totally agree with your observation and conclusion. An LCP can be a terrible choice for a first gun (or any other tiny ultra light gun).

12. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

First guns should be a .22. Not as loud, no recoil. You can consent rate on grip, sights, trigger pull, breathing....and shooter is not distracted by recoil, flash, noise...
    A nice size one. I used a S&W 422 to good effect. Rugar makes some excellent choices. (Not longer bull barrels please)
    Ideally if they are getting protection gun for immediate concern... Find a .22 with similar controls, function. And transition quicker.
    I had one idiot.. So I became a idiot. I loaded 2rds is 38 lite loaded wad cutters. Then 2plus p 38. Finally full house .357 mag for last 2.
    I handled it totally wrong. He kept removing hearing protection. It was outside. I told him that for a .22 it's not bad outside but for 38 you must wear hearing protection..
    First two "told you they are not loud...." Next two "ok maybe" last two, only fired one "my ears"
    I had told them they would get louder. It still was a wrong thing to do.
    The proper thing is to kick them out.

13. Caver 60

Caver 60

Guy at work (not a close friend) a long time ago was not a shooter. He kept talking to me about handguns. He was convinced he needed a 357 magnum. I tried to talk him into starting with a 22.

He said he only had money for the 357. I forget what he bought, but I think it was a Smith? I talked to him about the basics of shooting, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, etc.

I also strongly advised him to start with light 38 special loads. One day he brought a standard 25 yard slow fire pistol target in to work that had 6 holes in it. About half the holes were in the black with the rest scattered around.

I commented something about 'not bad for a beginner, but he needed to work on tightening his group up.' He said, 'I fired a 50 round box at that target and only hit it 6 times at 25 yards.' I asked what caliber? He said 357. I asked if he had tried 38? He said, no.

So I finally did what i should have done in the first place. I took a Saturday to meet him at our local uncontrolled range with some of my guns and ammo.

Started him off with one of my 22's of course. Then moved to 38 special with his revolver. Soon he was shooting nice groups.

I left him with the advice to keep practicing with 38's until he felt confident, then try to graduate to plus P then 357.

Lost track of him when I moved.

Teecher45, willie_pete and WeeWilly like this.
  14. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

My BIL does the same thing. Calls me to fix his gun; something happened to it and he he can't hit anything with it.

I have him shoot a target, then I take his gun and shoot a target the same way with his same loads.

We compare targets. i hand the gun back to him and say " It's not the gun ".

I love my sister, but she married an idiot,

He always drifts away from the fundamentals.

15. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

16. Teecher45

Teecher45

My LCP can go many more places the 43 can. And you know what I mean.
    I ended-up selling my 43 because it wasn’t enough of a difference to me between it and my 27 (as far as carrying it).
    The 27 (or 26 or 33) is perfect for me.
    But the LCP isn’t going anywhere. It goes in the pocket when I’m going places I don’t want anyone to know I’m carrying.
    But, I agree, not a good choice for a new shooter.
    Just FYI, for those of you carrying an LCP, make sure you’re doing tour research.
    Maybe start here:

View: https://youtu.be/GNtPHYwcDts

I personally carry the Hydra-Shoks because I got a really good deal on some. Back-up mag holds FMJ’s.
    Just trying to help, we’re all on the same team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeeWilly likes this.
  17. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

The second one lol

David2015 likes this.
  18. MJB

MJB

Painting the front sight, using a Hogue Handall grip and using the Ruger 7rd magazine ALL help in shooting the little LCP accurately. I was amazed at how accurate this little gun is. That said, just like a snub revolver, it's not the best choice for a new shooter.

Caver 60 and hogarth like this.
  19. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

I also agree that the LCP would not be a good choice for your very first gun to start practicing shooting with. For more experienced shooters, the LCP can serve its mission very well as a close-range personal defense weapon that you can conceal carry in our pocket like no other handguns of larger calibers.

Since getting a Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP later, I no longer have to resort to my Taurus PT-22 for pocket carry. ;)

Caver 60 and WeeWilly like this.
  20. Charlie5320

Charlie5320

I bought a LCP a few weeks ago from my neighbor, it was his wifes CC. She past away a few months ago, so I bought it to CC. It took me several rounds to get used to it, terrible trigger. I ended up buying a LC9s and will switch between the 2. They both have a CT laser on them and I can use the same pocket holster. The LC9s has a much better trigger, and I have a much better group with it. That LCP has more kick than my Glock 17.

ithaca_deerslayer and -JCN- like this.