close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trip to Chicago

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BMPregler, Jan 30, 2010.

1. BMPregler

BMPregler

I have been in charge of putting together the agenda for our North America meeting in Chicago in March and need some input. I would like your opinion on where to go for an original Chicago lunch and a nice dinner. We are staying downtown.

I was thinking maybe of a chicago style dog or pizza for lunch and a good steak house for dinner. I would like them to really represent chicago not some chain we could get in LA or Dallas.

Also any ideas for an evening group activity, this is a mixed crowd so no strip clubs, I was thinking a blackhawks or bulls game, but am not really sure.

Thanks

BP

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

Well, there are Chicago chains that are pretty famous (and by that I mean Chicago and suburbs area only, but with multiple locations) like Pizzeria Uno. Edwardo's, Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, Gino's... I'm personally partial to Malnati's but they're all good.

There are a lot of good steakhouses in the Chicago downtown area, but I'm going to get my vote in early for Morton's.

3. jpa

jpa CLM

If you want steak for dinner, go to Gene and Georgetti's. Excellent steaks.

For pizza I second dd's recommendation. Love Lou Malnati's for deep dish, Connie's pizza for regular. Where are you going to be when you break for lunch? The downtown area is fairly large, I might be able to recommend something close to where you'll be.

4. Glenn129

Glenn129

Carson's Ribs is a good place to eat.

5. PHXOD1

PHXOD1

Another fun lunch option is greek town. The Parthenon is awesome. The lady that owns/runs it (Yanna) is great.
    Dinner would have to be Chicago Chop House - 60 W. Ontario.
    Enjoy!!

6. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

Whenever we met our quotas we always went to th Chop House. Awesome food.

7. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

8. 2952

If you really want to "experience" Chicago you need to go to the South side and try some of the local food there. Try around 87th and Blackstone or 74th and Racine. That is if you have a pair. If not stay in the Gold Coast area. For a real fun activity go to a White SOX's game. For sight seeing of the local natives and the way they live take the "EL" to the South Side.

The whole City of Chicago is a s*it hole. The only difference between Haiti and Chicago is a major Earthquake.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  9. 1sharpedge

1sharpedge

Lou Malnati's for pizza #1 in chicago

Then go to David Burke's Prime House for steak, hard to beat.

10. HEMI 27

HEMI 27

Sorry you have to go there. I hated my time there.

But Chicago Chop House has an excellent steak.

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

12. pakettle

pakettle

Make sure nobody in your group has a gun, Daley don't like em.

13. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

And running water, and electricity.

14. speedsix

speedsix

Since nobody mentioned hot dog places yet, I will. Portillos is my favorite. They are very good for hot dogs and Italian beefs. Get on of each.

I grew up in Chicago and moved out when I was 15-16. I miss the food. Some of the best places to eat on earth are in Chicago. Best hot dogs for sure.

I could spend a few weeks back there just eating. Good Mexican places, good China town, good pizza, great hot dogs, great steaks. Try to find a German pancake house and get an apple pancake for breakfast. Maybe someone knows a good one? I haven't had one since I was a kid.

I grew up eating Chicago deep dish but to be honest it is not my favorite. We also had Italians and other people who made pizza and I actually preferred the most New York style pizzas. I grew up across the street from one and would play with the kids of the owners. We would get free pizza all the time and that was great because I was often hungry as a child.

Chicago is a dirt hole in a lot of ways but it is filled with some of the best people on earth. Everyplace has bad apples but if you stay out of certain areas, you will love it there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBAQtgMwAA

15. jpa

jpa CLM

If your only experience in Chicago is on the southeast side, I can imagine why you think it's a craphole. However if you actually visit places in the city where the culture doesn't involve hand to hand transactions with strangers and standing on a corner looking out for 5-0, you can find a whole lot more the city has to offer.

Although I will agree that some of the best fried chicken and bbq is served through 4 inches of bullet proof glass... :)

16. 2952

I was born, grew up and lived in various areas North , South and West in the town. I watched nice neighborhoods all over the City turn to human garbage dumps. The whole City is corrupt. The Daley machine has controlled every neighborhood in the city since the 1950s. The Town is dirty, it is a place whereby nobody is safe anymore. Most tourist look at the Gold Coast and say what a pretty town. The City wants their money so they provide a lot of cops to protect them in that area as they blindly wander around thinking they are safe. Venture 2 blocks blocks away from the Gold Coast and you put your life in peril.

The only reason the food is good is because they use real good meat in their recipes. The meat is all corn fed. The great majority of people in the USA eat meat from huge feedlots that is fed recycled crap and slurry along with steroids.

Every dollar a tourist spends in Chicago helps prop up the political criminals of the Daley Machine.

17. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

When I went to Chicago in May, it was one the best times I've ever had in a big city. Have to look past the silly gun laws etc. I never once felt in danger, and I was out at midnight by myself. In fact several people asked me for directions, lol. I guess I blend in well.

18. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I grew up near Lawrence and Pulaski, but haven't lived in Chicago/Skokie for 30 years.

My wife laughs at me when I go back. When she asks "who" I'm going to visit, I always reply, Poochies, Hubs, Lou Malnati's, White Castle, Barnaby's...

If I still lived there I would have been dead long ago.

19. 1sharpedge

1sharpedge

UMMM!! White Castle for some SLIDERS!! Pick up a Crave Case!

20. Dandapani

Dandapani

PORTILLOS for Chi-dog!