Glock Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new RMR and had the slide milled out by Battlewerx(awesome job by the way). It's on a gen4 22. I am now having troubles with the slide locking to the rear on an empty mag. I am not limp wristing it. I have tried 10 different mags, with all different kinds of ammo, and all the same result. I was thinking about a lighter recoil, to a 15lbs. Anyone have any other thoughts how to fix this?

·
Registered
25,092 Posts
My guess is the slide is light enough now that it is traveling faster than the follower can engage the slide stop. You may need a slightly heavier spring to slow it down just a tad

Reactions: ffg

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
So, there was an issue where people were putting WMLs on G22 pistols and cranking the screw with a screwdriver instead of finger tight. Caused a similar problem where the slide was cycling a bit faster because the super tight WML made the frame stiffer and flexed less when it cycled. Slide forward on empty mags. Glock's solution was the 11 coil mag spring instead of the earlier 10 coil mag spring. Seems to have resolved it. I'd suggest verifying you've got the 11 coil springs. If not, I'd upgrade them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
call tom at battlewerx and ask him.... super nice guy......
I have talked with Tom about the situation he is definitely a good guy. says could be a grip issue, limp wristing, or with a higher purchase on the frame, i could be hitting the slide. I'll be going back to the range tomorrow. All the master are the ambi release mags.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would suggest a new slide stop lever.
My understanding is that can and will wear after time, especially if using it to release the slide.
Super cheap item so it wouldn't hurt to try a new one.....

·
Super Moderator
20,284 Posts
I would think if the various 9mm Glocks can successfully cycle with an RMR installed, that any similar .40 should have plenty enough energy/momentum to do the same. You didn't mention any failures to extract or eject, just not locking back. Based on that...

I would suggest a new slide stop lever.
My understanding is that can and will wear after time, especially if using it to release the slide.
Super cheap item so it wouldn't hurt to try a new one.....
The quoted post, above, might be right on-point. If it's cycling well enough to reliably extract/eject, but NOT locking back, then it's probably not a slide-travel-distance-related problem, it's a getting-the-slide-to-stay-locked-back problem.

Only other thing to check is if you are inadvertently "riding" (touching in any way) the slide stop lever during shooting. That's why I asked about the extended slide stop level, above; it's very common for folks to accidentally interfere with operation of the extended part by touching it while firing. The smaller stock part is far less likely to have this problem as most folks simply cannot reach it while firing, but if you have big hands, long thumbs, or a two-handed grip that puts any support-hand digits near the slide stop lever, then that could still be the problem.

An easy test is to shoot a few 2-shot mags left-handed with a solid grip. If it locks-back when fired left-handed (when you CAN'T accidentally touch the slide stop lever with your thumb), then you should closely examine your gripping technique to find out how you might be interfering with the slide stop lever when firing.

·
Super Moderator
20,284 Posts
So, there was an issue where people were putting WMLs on G22 pistols and cranking the screw with a screwdriver instead of finger tight. Caused a similar problem where the slide was cycling a bit faster because the super tight WML made the frame stiffer and flexed less when it cycled. Slide forward on empty mags. Glock's solution was the 11 coil mag spring instead of the earlier 10 coil mag spring. Seems to have resolved it. I'd suggest verifying you've got the 11 coil springs. If not, I'd upgrade them.
I don't think the same problem could cause the symptom the OP is seeing. I would think there's a big difference in the amount of time it takes for the magazine spring to push a large stack of ammo up high enough to get the top round into feeding position, vs the amount of time it takes for the follower on an empty mag to move the last few millimeters into the lock-back notch on the slide.

The follower actually pushes the slide stop lever up into a position just below the notch (dragging on the bottom of the slide) when the last round in the mags is FED into the chamber, not when it is extracted. You can see this demonstrated by feeding a single dummy round into the chamber by hand, and slowly easing the slide forward while watching the slide stop lever. You'll see the lever moved upward by the follower as the slide is closing on (chambering) the last round, so it only has to move upward the depth of the notch to actually lock the slide back during operation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.