Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I called Trijicon Tech Support about this set up because I've been reading that i need a mount sealing plate but Trijicon confirmed that i don't need extra hardware for the RMR to function properly.

After the installation today, the RMR functioned properly but you'll notice on the picture below that the rubber o-ring is actually outside the slide, will this eventually damage the o-rings and will affect the functionality of the RMR?

To my understanding, the function of the o-rings is to protect the battery compartment for water penetration, and for sure, if water penetrates the battery compartment, it may cause short circuit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You absolutely need a sealing plate on the MOS but shouldn't on a milled rmr cut slide. Also, sometimes the O-ring will slip out of the channnel.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, I have two Glocks (17 & 19) and an M&P, all milled by L&M Precision and all working flawlessly. The G17 was done first with an RMR02, does not have the sealing plate (though honestly I thought it did until I just looked with a magnifying glass). The M&P and G19 both have RMR06's and the sealing plate and do not show the bulging O-rings.

The G17 was put together originally circa 2010'ish while I was overseas, initial plan was to shoot it on another G17 frame, but ended up getting a dedicated G17 frame for it in 2012 and since then about 1,100+ rounds though it (much of it 115gr FMJ, but substantial quantities of 124 &147 Corbon and Gold Dot), same battery, no flickering, or dot problems at all.

The M&P .45 4" has an RMR06, w/plate, put together in 2015, 700 rounds through (500 230gr FMJ and 200 GD or CB). same battery, no flickering or dot problems at all.

The G19 is a higher mileage Glock, but the RMR w/plate has only been on since March 2017 and only about 200 rounds (about half 115gr FMJ and the rest mixed 124 & 147gr GD or CB), obviously the same battery, no flickering or dot problems at all.

OK, three examples, one w/o the plate, two with, all relatively low round counts and all kept and shot in a dry desert environment. Two have been nightstand guns, one is still in the process of being modded with a KKM barrel due in Monday.

Do you need the plate? Maybe not, but I'll pick one up for the G17 and fit it when I change the battery. My thoughts are that for $10 a copy, with all the rest of $$ dumped into the guns, it's worth it to me to have it there. Not sure where you are or what conditions you carry or shoot under, so YMMV.

Good luck

·
Registered
282 Posts
My thoughts are that for $10 a copy, with all the rest of $$ dumped into the guns, it's worth it to me to have it there.
^ yeah. It's like $10. Oughta just come included with the RMR, really.

My son's RMR screws were too long without the sealing plate, so that's worth checking.

I've had the plate on all three of my RMR'ed Glocks.

Why cheap out on a little thing like that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ yeah. It's like $10. Oughta just come included with the RMR, really.

My son's RMR screws were too long without the sealing plate, so that's worth checking.

I've had the plate on all three of my RMR'ed Glocks.

Why cheap out on a little thing like that?
Thanks for the advice sir, $$$ is not the issue, its more of "the necessity of the part being installed".

I'm doing my research that is why i asked this question here. If you pay attention closely on one of the customer review with picture on the link below, you'll notice that the sealing plate is actually wider than the RMR, that's another point that I have to consider. Provided that $$$ is not the issue, you would expect that after paying $5++ on a product, it should run smoothly without any problem. and paying additional $$ to a product that is supposed to be included on the main product and not getting it right is more than worse. I mean, don't get me wrong, im a diy guy and a simple polishing will eliminate the extra 1mm of the plate, but for a large company like Trijicon, they should get this thing right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T31NK86/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

@B0308 Thanks for the comprehensive comparison and suggestions, It definitely make sense, and not only that, as i mentioned above, the moment a liquid penetrate the battery compartment, it is susceptible to short circuit, either from excess gun lube, carbon cleaner, de-greaser, blood or a simple water

So the consensus is install the sealing plate to be safe.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Naw, you're right, though.

The mounting plate should come with the unit, and should fit perfectly, or better yet, the unit should be integrally sealed and waterproof.

It's still the best thing out there as far as MRDS go.

My plates do protrude ever so slightly, surely less than a mm, though I only notice it at all if I'm really looking for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naw, you're right, though.

The mounting plate should come with the unit, and should fit perfectly, or better yet, the unit should be integrally sealed and waterproof.

It's still the best thing out there as far as MRDS go.

My plates do protrude ever so slightly, surely less than a mm, though I only notice it at all if I'm really looking for it.

Thanks for pointing that out sir! see, im more worried that the plate might cut me while racking the slide (not that i have a very sensitive hands, :) )

In connection with this topic, i found this very useful youtube video, (best illustration of the RMR flickering issue); Price is about as much as the trigicon plate and more effective as per the guy on the video.

http://www.battlewerx.com/anti-flicker-sealing-plate-for-trijicon-rmr-stainless/

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't think (my) mounting plate would cut me, though I also perform all slide manipulations from the front/top of the slide these days. The g19 pictured is in line to be sent to Robar for front serrations (and refinishing).

Some folks use the rear, or the RMR itself. I prefer to avoid getting mud, sweat, blood, etc on my optic. *shrugs

(Edit: your post got me curious, so I grabbed the digital calipers and tried to measure the plates overhang, and...it's not there. I can feel the transition, barely, on one side only, and it's juuuust enough to catch my thumbnail on, if I try.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
You do need the sealing plate for water, as the MOS has two screws which hold the adapter plate to the gun. These fall outside the perimeter of the o-ring on the sight. Obviously tolerances are tight on everything, and water will not "pour" through, but if you want 100%, or as close to design, go with the plate.

As to the video and dot flicker, I have seen this with all three of my RMR's. My fix is a tiny dab of RTV cement on the bottom of the batter, and di-electric grease on the battery contacts. Even with no flicker, the grease is always a good idea on any electric connections that are subject to weather. Just like vehicle light bulb sockets.

Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts