GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just bought a new trijicon rmr type 2 led adjustable. I have just one question... Is the dot supposed to look like a perfect solid circle, because mine doesn't. Mine is not a perfect circle, and it's not solid; it's more like a bunch of speckled dots trying to make up one giant dot, and it's lopsided.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I’m going to go ahead and suggest it may be your eyesight (perhaps astigmatism like me) rather than the dot. I think you can take a photo with your cell phone and confirm it. If it still looks funny a call to Trijicon may be in order.

I tend to turn down the brightness slightly and that helps clear it up.

FWIW, I have “old eyes”, so there is that.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I have astigmatism (farsighted) and if I wear corrective lenses, I see a oblong glowing caterpillar in the red dot.

Reactions: Toocool45

·
Yippee ki-yay...
3,782 Posts
Mine look like Halley’s Comet
:fist:

·
Registered
211 Posts
An astigmatism may will cause this, which I have and notice it with all of my RMRs 1 moa all the way up to 6 moa.

However, I ONLY notice this when I’m inside my house looking at specifically the dot. When you bring the gun out to the range in the daylight and are focusing on the target, the bloom is not noticeable. You shouldn’t just be staring at the dot anyways.

I hear a lot of complaining about how the dot isn’t perfect and how rmrs suck. It’s not the dot, it’s the shooters eyes.

·
NRA Life Member
63,378 Posts
So, I just bought a new trijicon rmr type 2 led adjustable. I have just one question... Is the dot supposed to look like a perfect solid circle, because mine doesn't. Mine is not a perfect circle, and it's not solid; it's more like a bunch of speckled dots trying to make up one giant dot, and it's lopsided.
That's your eye, not the dot. Congratulations, Trijicon has diagnosed you with astigmatism.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
In order to find witch red dot you can see better just have to look through them, in my case the RMR is one I can actually see the dot quite well but like today just purchased a Holosun and it is more of a blur than a dot. Unfortunately I can't spend the money to get an Trijicon MRO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
An astigmatism may will cause this, which I have and notice it with all of my RMRs 1 moa all the way up to 6 moa.

However, I ONLY notice this when I’m inside my house looking at specifically the dot. When you bring the gun out to the range in the daylight and are focusing on the target, the bloom is not noticeable. You shouldn’t just be staring at the dot anyways.

I hear a lot of complaining about how the dot isn’t perfect and how rmrs suck. It’s not the dot, it’s the shooters eyes.
Yes, you are right. I do have astigmatisms in both my eyes, but if I do as you say, it's not as bad. Plus, if I look at the dot through my phone's camera lens, it then shows up perfect... Wow, I can't believe how bad my eyes are... I don't even wear glasses. That's not to say I couldn't.

Good lord, trijicon must get phone calls up the ying yang, and have to argue with customers telling them they have bad vision, Lol!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Easy way to tell if it’s your eyes or the optic is to look at the dot and rotate the gun/optic. If the streak remains the same, it’s your eyes; if it rotates with the optic, then it’s the optic. Red dots are designed for your focus To be on the target and the dot superimposed over the target. I have an astigmatism and the dot is perfectly round when my focus is on the correct object.

·
Registered
34,794 Posts
Yes, you are right. I do have astigmatisms in both my eyes, but if I do as you say, it's not as bad. Plus, if I look at the dot through my phone's camera lens, it then shows up perfect... Wow, I can't believe how bad my eyes are... I don't even wear glasses. That's not to say I couldn't.

Good lord, trijicon must get phone calls up the ying yang, and have to argue with customers telling them they have bad vision, Lol!
Sounds like glasses will help your shootng, go see the eye doc.

·
Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)
2,806 Posts
As others have suggested, take a picture of the dot. At first, I argued that the phone cleans it up and perfects the circle, but then I had some kids with good eyes look at it and they said it looks like the pictures...

PS: I finally got readers and, of course, they didn't help with astigmatism (but turning the brightness down a notch does). :)

RMR.PNG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts