GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
NRA Life Benefactor, GOA Life.
209 Posts
Excellent choice!
I have a few rounds under an RMR. I’ve been using them since 2014. I now have Type 2s. One is on my EDC...it’s fun and fast!

17A4ACD8-9C50-4130-AA3E-3F21ABAD1C22.jpeg

I made a short video the other day for some of my past students that I had in a rifle course. I occasionally shoot handgun. ;)

No, I’m not overly Impressed with the Gen 5 finish. A little over 11,500 k through this Glock.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Great choice. I only have direct experience with the Sig Romeo1 and Vortex and tge RMR type2. Tge Trijicon is expensive but it has a great reputation.

Just know that with any red dot optic, it takes time and practice to appreciate how good they are. But it’s well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great choice. I only have direct experience with the Sig Romeo1 and Vortex and tge RMR type2. Tge Trijicon is expensive but it has a great reputation.

Just know that with any red dot optic, it takes time and practice to appreciate how good they are. But it’s well worth it in my opinion.

·
The Kindly Curmudgeon
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Another question... I'll have to change the existing sights for taller ones if I need to use them, I assume. Any recommendations on that?

And a mounting kit is recommended also. It relatively inexpensive so I'd probably get that too. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I personally would want a larger window like the DeltaPoint Pro, Trijicon SRO or Romeo Max on a large pistol like the G40 but the RMR is definitely at the top of any list of durable, carry oriented red dot sights.

You need the mounting kit to seal the completely open bottom on the RMR and for the correct length mounting screws.

·
209 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Another question... I'll have to change the existing sights for taller ones if I need to use them, I assume. Any recommendations on that?

And a mounting kit is recommended also. It relatively inexpensive so I'd probably get that too. Thoughts?
I prefer all black sights and about as low as I can get but be useable. Ameriglo 429s are about right.

On my G17 -my original RMR equipped pistol - the one that I quit counting after 18k rounds through it (in 2015) I just had a line scribed on the rear of the RMR and a gold bead front sight installed. Admittedly, it’s my favorite.
EBEB1BA0-2565-419B-8DF2-A5D7795BE086.jpeg

It makes for a clean look to the gun and moves the RMR further away from the ejection port.

E638EFE7-6619-46EA-8011-F079B1E0BC9A.jpeg

Edited to add: I've had to 2 RMRs back to Trijicon that we’re on the G17. One 3 times, one twice. They were early RMRs. Twice it was for losing power in between shots and the other 3 times, the sights lost their ability to hold elevation. With Trijicon’s excellent service, they replaced them both with Type 2s. No problems since!

Edit 2 - Just for comparison, the G17.4 has a LOT more rounds / holster presentations through it than the G19.5MOS in the previous post. Note the difference in the durability of the Gen5 finish compared to the Gen4!

·
209 Posts
Do you mean that the RMR is adjustable fore and aft?
No, the RMR isn’t adjustable fore and aft, it’s just that the RMR footprint could be milled further to the rear, away from the ejection port. The reason that this can be done, is there’s no need for room for the rear sight.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Howdy. I'm new to optics. Want to put one(red dot) on P365XL I just got.

Bought the $200 Romeo Zero with 3 moa dot. Never opened the pkg. and returned the Romeo Zero. I liked the overall size of it but it looks fragile; the housing and the lens(glass) is polymer/plastic.

What is a good size moa for handgun optic? I am finally starting to see the advantage of optics on sidearm. Yep,slow learner.

What RMR(?) would be good on the P365XL?

·
Registered
19,498 Posts
Howdy. I'm new to optics. Want to put one(red dot) on P365XL I just got.

Bought the $200 Romeo Zero with 3 moa dot. Never opened the pkg. and returned the Romeo Zero. I liked the overall size of it but it looks fragile; the housing and the lens(glass) is polymer/plastic.

What is a good size moa for handgun optic? I am finally starting to see the advantage of optics on sidearm. Yep,slow learner.

What RMR(?) would be good on the P365XL?
The 365xl has a skinny slide so you would be looking at the romeo zero, shield RMSc, or holosun 507k to be fairly flush. Trijicon just introduced the RMRcc but I'm not sure it'll fit the XL foot print

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you for the responses,gentlemen.

Between 3moa and 6moa which might be better for concealed carry/self-defense?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Over the 9 years I have carried an RMR'ed gun I have used dots from the 3.25 up to the very old 8 moa on my oldest RMR. When you start working with a dot the larger size like the 6 moa will seem better but the better your presentation gets the size of the dot matters less. You will develop the skill of presenting the gun so the dot is just there. Having said all this, since you are putting it on a smaller gun I would op for about the 6 moa size. Still small enough to make 20 yard head shots and maybe a tick quicker to pick up, especially when you are new to using a dot gun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts