Trijicon rear sight removal

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Isaiah1412, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

I'm trying to replace the factory night sights on my G19 with XS Big Dots. I quickly found that the night sights are WAY harder to remove than the standard ones! I got the front sight off, though the pin broke in the process, but I am lost on removing the rear sight. Tapping is doing nothing, is this sight pinned on as well? What do I do to remove it?

2. ducati

ducati

Just replaced my sights today. Unless you see holes in the top of the sight it is just friction. One set of the sights I replaced were big dots. They have the holes for allen screws in them..

3. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

They just slide into place. If they are Trijicon, they may have a little rust built up making it harder to get out.

4. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

Sliding them into place is an understatement. Find someone who will use a sight pusher and do it the right way. Front sights are easy and rear sights are easy, to screw up. It's worth the $5-10 to pay someone to do it right!!

^^ike

5. hoffy

hoffy

The profile on the Glock rear sights are as you know are tapered and are difficult if not impossible to drift out. I have an MGW rear sight pusher that has the same profile as the factory and Trijicon and Meprolight and it will fit both frame sizes . It is basically a screw press, works like a snap. Most shops that install sights will drift them in, with the exception of Glocks. If a sight to be installed is really tight I will file a very little bit off of sight, never the gun.(worked at a gun shop years ago and have installed dozens of sights, have yet to wreck a pair. Have had to file sights on a couple of XDs and a Sig. I prefer a friction fit, tiny set screws can be trouble.Bought a G-20 that had some no name night sights that were spent and I had to drill the darn screw out. To the matter at hand, I paid 60$ for my MGW tool but that was a long time ago, I think they are closer to 100$ now. You may file or dremel(file might be better, dremel easier with a cut off wheel) a flat on the sight so you can get a punch on it, get your flat as low to the slide as you can w/o dinging the slide. A local gun shop might remove it for you, but make sure they have a Glock specific tool.Glock makes a tool but I believe it is more expensive than the MGW one. The gun shop here is hopeless for such things. If a sight is loose,you can dimple it carefully with a sharp center punch, or you can use loctite, blue first, then red if that does not work. I got a front sight on a military rifle to stay put with red loctite(it was originally silver soldered on). If you have a lot of Glocks the pusher is very handy, for installation and adjustment. If you have friends near with Glocks by or belong to a gun club you may be able to get people to go together and buy one. You can spend hundeds of dollars on sight pushers that will fit many applications, but the MGW is a good deal comparatively. Good luck.

6. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

The angle of the trijicon sights makes the punch tool include with the kit useless. I had to use a smaller, metal punch and VERY carefully tap/bang them out. It took about an hour but I finally succeeded with no damage to the frame (my fingers weren't entirely so lucky). My New XS sights are now in and the red locktite is drying as I type. I'll be hitting the range tomorrow to try them out.

Thanks.