Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a new set of sights, the Trijicon HD’s. Don’t know whether I should just get the regular or the XR’s, don’t think I’m going to be shooting at extended range but never know. The regular HD’s are bigger in the front so I’m thinking they might pick up faster but I don’t know really looking for someone opinion who owns them or ever shot them, also seems like a crazy question but what color is the best that you’ve seen never owned night sights with rings around them so again one color might pick up better, lol amateur questions but you’ll never know if you don’t ask.

·
Gunslinger
1,960 Posts
My issued Gen 5 G17 has the regular version with the red outline. They work pretty well for me at reasonable distances. My off duty/backup gun is a SIG P365 and the “XRay 3” sights on it are pretty close to being the same design, but they have a bright green outline. I greatly prefer the green outline over the red, and can shoot my tiny little SIG very quick and accurately with them.

One thing to point out... the edges of the Trijicon front sight on my G17 are SHARP. I’m not talking about a bit pointy. I mean, if a guy were wiping down the slide of the pistol with too thin of a cloth, you could lay your hand wide open on it.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I shoot with the ameriglo hackathorn sights. They are $50 bucks. Have the tritium front with the orange outline. Serrated rear black out design. They are square not U notch but I saved $130 for basically the same design. The trijicon are extremely expensive.

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
8,772 Posts
I have (7) of the Hd, 6 with orange outlines and (1) yellow.

Aging eyes prompted me and looking for sights that I could compete and carry with. I Shoot from 5-47 yards and the .140 wide fronts with the .180 openings of the rears give me abilities to still remain competitive.

I prefer the orange over the yellow as my eyes seem to catch orange quicker.

I have had the sights for over 5 years and am not thinned skin in cutting myself with the sights. I suspect some may have taken liberty with their posting.

Enjoy ......,

·
Registered
108 Posts
I prefer the standard width HD’s. As far as the color goes, it’s going to be what your eyes prefer. I’m 48 and I tend to shoot the yellow better and pick them up easier than the orange, but shoot the orange just fine. It would be best if you could take a look at both before you buy. I also have to agree with H&K 45 Auto as I’ve had 5 different sets of the HD’s in the last ~10 years, and on 2 of the sets I’ve had the rear sight had a VERY sharp rear ledge. One set was sharp enough that I filed the corner of the ledge smooth and used some cold blue to cover it as I cut my hand disassembling the gun for cleaning. The other 3 sets I’ve had were fine so I’m not sure if it’s just a QC issue on the edges or if the bodies of the sights are being milled by different sources.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have the regular HDs on my G45 in yellow - please see my notes below:

I prefer yellow over orange, as the yellow seems to have additional pop and my eyes pick it up better (human eye generally likes green over red, hence yellow over orange for me). However, the orange essentially works just as well and I would be happy with it too.

IMO, the regular HDs still allow you to see a decent amount light on both sides of the front sight and I didn’t feel I needed the smaller front post for my G45. I like the balance of quick sight acquisition along with still having some light on both sides of the front sight.

If I had a G34, I might go XR to take advantage of the longer sight radius and utilize it for target shooting/bullseyes, but then again, I might even pick something else in that case, such as a thin fiber front...

I love the U-notch and mentally prefer it over a square notch, however one does not necessarily shoot better for me.

The Trijicon HDs front sights have an additional photo luminescent ability to capture more light and glow brighter than the Ameriglo version of the Trijicon lamps.

I felt the price difference was worthy for me so i could get the bright yellow sight with a U-notch.

Also of note, the sights are dead on with my G45 - very happy with POA\POI.

·
Gunslinger
1,960 Posts
I have had the sights for over 5 years and am not thinned skin in cutting myself with the sights. I suspect some may have taken liberty with their posting.

Enjoy ......,

Suspect what you want, but I have no dog in this fight. The set of sights I mentioned are in my issued duty sidearm, and as such I have zero dollars invested in them. As I said, my front sight is sharp. If it were a little bit sharp, or had a hard angled corner, I wouldn’t even mention it.

Of the 40+ handguns I have had in my possession through either ownership or issued means, it is the only set of sights that I have ever felt was sharp. Mine came out of the box sharp enough to cut flesh without question.

Perhaps they aren’t all like that. I don’t know. My previous experiences with Trijicon sights have all been positive, but this is the only set of HD’s that I have experience with.

As I said, the sights work very well in terms of design, although my eyes prefer the green outline of the versions on my SIG pistol over the red on my issued Trijicons. I only mention the sharpness because it is pronounced enough on my set to be noteworthy, and is something I would want to know to look for if I were spending my own money on a set. Perhaps buy in person so that you can inspect for yourself rather than ordering them online.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am in the the Orange camp. I think the Trijicon are great. I don’t believe they are worth double what Ameriglo’s cost. If you get a chance check out Night Fision. I have them on a couple of pistols and I really like them.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I fall squarely in the "regular Trijicon HD with yellow front sight" camp. I find the yellow easier to pick up, and the front post width on the regular HD is just about perfect. Best sights I've ever used on any Glock, hands down.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Unless it’s a long slide I prefer regular HDs bc the dot is larger. The yellow dot HD were on sale on amazon for $80 for some models. That’s a deal. I paid $90 for my orange dot on my 43x but last I checked they were sold out and only had them at $115-120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts