Trijicon files complaint about cheap Chinese knockoff (Holosun)

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by Justamessenger, Aug 5, 2020.

1. A45acp1911

A45acp1911

I’m also still looking for the “innovation” se6 seems to point to. What I see so far is not having to recoup R&D costs plus slave-labor rates equals lower prices. That quote an innovation on Holosun’s part.

I get it. I want cheap stuff that’s almost just as good. But it’s the price we pay to make sure that great stuff keeps getting invented.

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

They should be complaining about the cheap Chinese knockoff that actually say Trijicon on them and come in a fake Trijicon box. These days, you had better know what you are buying to get the real thing in any kind of sights or scopes. Fake Aimpoints are just as common.

When I was in Afghanistan, the whole country's economy seemed to be based on fake knock-off goods from China. I'm still using my $20 Beats Bluetooth speaker with the audio-commands read by a Chinese girl who clearly didn't speak Engrish. Fake ACOGs, fake Benchmade knives, fake Grip-Pods, fake Belleville boots and Asics running shoes, etc., etc.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    buster55, Pepiot, GlockPride and 2 others like this.

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Only the government can save us...

evlbruce likes this.
  4. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  5. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

You're exactly right. Many years ago when we were under the Clinton administration, China continued to fail in getting a successful missile launch. I was working for the company that made guidance systems. Our CEO was a major donor to Clinton. He petitioned the state department to "sell" technology to China, which of course 'ol Bill approved. Once the "transfer" of technology happened, China no longer had launch failures. Their system was now a virtual duplicate of ours.

China is great at copying and tweeking after the fact, but not so good at inventing and innovation. We foot the bill for research and development, then they steal the technology and manufacture it with low cost labor and most times, with inferior components and material.

Yup, you're right on the money.

GlockPride likes this.
  6. ronin.45

ronin.45

Personally, I think the Holosun is a better product. I buy what fits my needs better. Trijicon has always been an elitist company that charges way more than they should because they have military contracts. Much like Aimpoint raising the price on their Comp series by a few hundred dollars with every new release. I was a die hard Aimpoint fan, but over $1000 for a red dot is just stupid. The technology hasn't changed enough in the last decade to warrant the drastic price increases.

bigoldbuck likes this.
  7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Like many others, name recognition and brand loyalty seems to trump actual performance. Looking at you Surefire.

evlbruce, BC42 and ronin.45 like this.
  8. Firearmjunky22

Firearmjunky22

Trijicon is just pissed that holosun is doing it cheaper and stealing customers... in all seriousness though they’re both great optics. Trijicon has a reputation similar to that of Glock. Not the best at everything but reliable and works without question. There’s no reason they need to step to this level unless they’re scared of decreasing sales. I will admit I won’t buy an rmr over a 508t or even 507c for that matter unless the rmr is the same price. Do I want an rmr, yes, but damn are they pricey and I don’t abuse my stuff to the point I absolutely NEED a bulletproof rmr.

9. laramie50

laramie50

Interesting that, according to the TAG article, the only versions of the 508 series they're going after are the V2 titanium models, that also allow battery changes from the top. Does Trijicon have a top loading titanium sight, or does it have a patent on those features but doesn't produce such a sight?

10. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

What Trijicon is going after is the "concave shape of the top surface 70" (see attached). This is what makes the RMR so durable and the one aspect that's unique to the 508 (open red dot sight) as compared to the rest of the Holosun product line.

From looking at the 508, it would appear Trijicon may have a case.

upload_2020-8-8_17-17-25.png

11. railfancwb

railfancwb

Based upon history, a Stateside/European company which invents and patents something then sublets the manufacturing to China (and probably other Asian nations) will find the knockoffs arriving promptly.

OXMYX likes this.
  12. thomgetch

thomgetch

The 508t appears to be square not concave and has a solar panel/sensor on top as well.

13. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

I’m fine with patents, if you want to import, gotta go by our rules and show up in court if you need to. If you lose you write a big check. It should not however be handled by Politicians political appointees or back room deals.

buster55 likes this.
  14. laramie50

laramie50

True. All the version 1 507s and 508s actually had a convex top with the solar panel on it. The version 2 series, which allows topside access to the battery, went with a visibly thicker -but flat- top.

15. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

It's not the cosmetic housing, but rather what's going on structurally under the covers. We shall see.

16. laramie50

laramie50

Judging by the responses in this thread, this suit is at least as much about politics as it is about tech, a feature which I'm sure was not lost on Trijicon. I'm curious as to whether Holosun patented any of its "advanced" features, which it managed to pack into a device with the same footprint as Trijicon's, and thereby two-blocked Trijicon from improving its product.

Ranger357 likes this.
  17. Taz

Taz

None of the V2 have top battery access. The battery is accessed from the right side of the optic.

The v2 difference is the big buttons on the side wall of the optic just like the adjustable RMR. The customer feedback asked for bigger buttons and they obliged. Seems they may have missed the first independent claim in one of those patents that describe things to adjust brightness on the vertical post. I think this is why there were no suits on V1 nor any suits against Vortex, Burris... All those models have the brightness adjustment buttons on the main body aka the thing that’s parallel to the barrel.

18. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

Good point! All of the V2's have big buttons on the side wall. But, a previous post suggested the lawsuit was limited to the 508?

upload_2020-8-8_20-53-8.png
    upload_2020-8-8_20-53-33.png
    upload_2020-8-8_20-54-21.png

19. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

I still contend this is slightly concave ...

upload_2020-8-8_21-1-2.png

20. Fyrfytr998

Fyrfytr998

Only the 508 is straight across and not concave.

Holosun got my dollar, because for the money, they do everything Trijicon does exactly the same, for half the price. I watch Sage Dynamics torture test a lot of optics. Holosun always passes.

It is what it is. Trijicon should get its act together and realize they will be priced right out of the market and only contracts and fan boys will buy their stuff.

bigoldbuck, GlockPride and TexFarm like this.