GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Other than a lower price point, what would you like to see in the way of a Trijicon adjustable LED TYPE 3 ¹ RMR?

Longer Battery Life?
Solar Panels?
Shake Awake?
Side-Loading Battery Compartment? ²
¹ - Assuming the physical dimensions and mounting footprint will be identical to that of the original type 1 and (current) type 2 RMR.
² - In order to incorporate a side-loading battery compartment, the RMR would need to switch from a CR2032 to something like a CR1632. You can't slide a 20 mm diameter CR2032 out between the mounting screws and recoil posts.

Personally, I'm more than content removing the RMR and replacing the battery once a year.

I'd like to see an ADJUSTABLE MOA LED! I'd like to see an LED that can be adjusted not only in terms of brightness, but from 1 MOA to 6.5 MOA. This is what I have in mind ...

I envision three "nested" LED's. You'd be able to select between a 1.0 MOA LED, 3.25 MOA LED and 6.5 MOA LED.

I see no reason why the RMR couldn't maintain the brightness setting corresponding to each LED. In other words, when you select a different MOA LED, the RMR would automatically restore the previous brightness setting for that LED.

Maybe you're new to MRDS's and you're not sure which dot size to get. How many times have you seen someone post, "Should I get the 3.25 or 6.5 MOA RMR?" This solves the problem.

Maybe you're a first-time MRDS shooter and you want to start with a larger dot and then decrease the dot size as you gain more experience.

Maybe you want to increase the dot size as you age (I'd expect a Trijicon RMR to last a lifetime).

Maybe you have an astigmatism.

Maybe you want to change the dot size between the range, defense and competition.

How difficult can an adjustable MOA LED be?

Thoughts? Game changer? Novel, nonobvious, and useful?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I would like to see the correct mounting screws and base plate included.

That’s about it. My RMR type 2 is perfect.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I selected the dual illuminated version, no problem with astigmatism, no battery to change. The MOA is large, but presents no issues out to 25 yards - which is about as far as I would employ a pistol for practical purposes.

It would be nice to have a more accessible battery, and an adjustable dot, but the RMR is pricey enough that I don’t plan on buying another.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Larger window, please.
That would be an SRO.

"I'm assuming the physical dimensions and mounting footprint will be identical to that of the original type 1 and (current) type 2 RMR."
A larger window would imply something other than an "RMR".

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
That would be an SRO.

"I'm assuming the physical dimensions and mounting footprint will be identical to that of the original type 1 and (current) type 2 RMR."
A larger window would imply something other than an "RMR".
Sorry, I read it as the physical dimensions OF the mounting footprint...

Something with a larger window doesn’t have to be an SRO.

The RMR is old news and old tech. Other companies are going to eat Trijicon’s lunch if they don’t innovate.

They could make a RUGGEDIZED miniature optic that was more designed for the way most consumers actually use them.

I like RMRs, but honestly I would never buy another one with the same physical dimension as the original no matter what other “features” they would add.
055ABC58-0FC1-49F9-BF26-EFA0C33F3FD5.jpeg

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Longer battery life or a battery that can be replaced without removing the RMR.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed! But it likely wouldn't be an "RMR". Maybe a RMRbw (big window), analogous to the RMRcc.

The RMR is old news and old tech.
Agreed! It's been the gold standard for a decade.

Other companies are going to eat Trijicon’s lunch if they don’t innovate.
I do agree Trijicon needs to innovate. That's what I'm looking for.

They could make a RUGGEDIZED miniature optic that was more designed for the way most consumers actually use them.
Can you help me understand how most consumers use them? You mean they don't drop them on concrete from shoulder-height or rack them against a tree or door frame (ala Aaron Cowan / Sage Dynamics)?

I like RMRs, but honestly I would never buy another one with the same physical dimension as the original no matter what other “features” they would add.
I can't envision buying another RMR that doesn't share the same physical dimensions as the original.

·
Crusty Member
10,754 Posts
Sorry, I read it as the physical dimensions OF the mounting footprint...

The RMR is old news and old tech. Other companies are going to eat Trijicon’s lunch if they don’t innovate.

View attachment 875732
That's a lot of dots. It looks like you have RMRs, SROs, Holosuns, and some others. I just bought my first MOS today (G34 Gen5), and am curious your thoughts on the various dots you have. I figure this will be an IDPA CO gun eventually. I may shoot it in SSP initially (until I've got a dot on it).

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Duly noted! How long would you like the battery life to be?
I'm not an electronics whiz, but Aimpoints can go years without being turned off. I'm sure it has something to do with the size of the battery that can be used. I know removing the optic once a year doesn't seem like a big deal, but after several years, that's a lot of Loctite build up. A battery that is accessible without removing the optic would be a better solution. I'm not interested in the SRO.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm not an electronics whiz, but Aimpoints can go years without being turned off. I'm sure it has something to do with the size of the battery that can be used. I know removing the optic once a year doesn't seem like a big deal, but after several years, that's a lot of Loctite build up. A battery that is accessible without removing the optic would be a better solution. I'm not interested in the SRO.
ETA: After further review of the play ...

In order to incorporate a side-loading battery compartment, the RMR would need to switch from a CR2032 to something like a CR1632. You can't slide a 20 mm diameter CR2032 out between the mounting screws and recoil posts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts