Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an OD Glock 26 for Xmas, had to have something other than just Sigs. Shopping around for night sights and I’m between Trij HD’s and Ameriglo Spartan Operators. I’ve had HD’s before for a carry gun and liked them except they did dig into my stomach a little as I carry appendix. Should have that resolved with my holster now. Have no experience with the Spartans. What are everyones opinions on the two?

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
I like the HD Night Sights. It provides a better sight picture.

·
Registered
488 Posts
All my Glocks and my Shield run Spartan Operators. I tried Trijicon HDs and didn't like them as they are taller that Spartans. I also like a square notch rear and not a U shaped one. They have Trijicon markings because Ameriglo uses their capsules. I also buy mine directly from Ameriglo as opposed to Ebay or another dealer to be sure I get current dated sights,not sights that might have been sitting in a dealers inventory for a year plus. Use the code GSSF for 10% off.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The HD XR's are awesome.

Trijicon also produces their own lamps, uses silicone cushioned aluminum cases for said lamps, and uses sapphire windows to protect the lamps. It's a very well thought out system.

I also like Heinie brand night sights equally well.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have both those sights. One on a G27 Gen3 and another on a G26 Gen4. Both are carry guns, and both are used a lot in practice and in matches.

Short Answer: For a pistol that will be carried a lot, I'll take the Ameriglos. If it won't be carried a lot, I'll take the HD's.

The biggest single reason is that the top edge of the HD's are sharp and high profile. They dig into my sides when carrying and yes I feel them a lot.

The HD's are a more solid, tank-like build. The Ameriglos are lighter, lower profile and have more beveled edges, thus making them more carry-friendly. Their sight picture is not much different, as the front dots are almost exactly the same between the two, and the rear notch are comparable in width (they are wider for faster acquisition). The HD's feel higher in quality, and should be so because of the price difference.

If you time it right, you can find the Ameriglos at almost half the price of the HD's. This may not be a very big deal for one gun, but when you have to fit more than one, the Ameriglos are probably the way to go.

Hope that helps, good luck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have both, like both. You can't go wrong, although I prefer the yellow front more than the orange, which tends to wash out.

I will say a sliver of the front colored dot is covered by the rear sight on the spartan's. Not by much but it's there. However, I mainly use the top aligned ledges for alignment. I like the wide square rear and u-shaped rear alike.

I just shot expert with the HD's on both the bug and ccp divisions on the idpa classifier. So the .144 width on the hd's can still be used okay at 20 yards, as opposed to some people saying they need a .95 or .105 width in the front to shoot 20-25 yards. In fact, this past week I shot a G26 stock with the exception of HD's at 50 yards slow fire and kept them in a outstretched hand area on the target (I'll take it!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have both, like both. You can't go wrong, although I prefer the yellow front more than the orange, which tends to wash out.

I will say a sliver of the front colored dot is covered by the rear sight on the spartan's. Not by much but it's there. However, I mainly use the top aligned ledges for alignment. I like the wide square rear and u-shaped rear alike.

I just shot expert with the HD's on both the bug and ccp divisions on the idpa classifier. So the .144 width on the hd's can still be used okay at 20 yards, as opposed to some people saying they need a .95 or .105 width in the front to shoot 20-25 yards. In fact, this past week I shot a G26 stock with the exception of HD's at 50 yards slow fire and kept them in a outstretched hand area on the target (I'll take it!)
Do you know if the center mass hold stays on the G26 with HD XRs? Or does it change to a combat or 6 o’clock hold. It’s been a while since I’ve had HDs on a Glock

·
Registered
272 Posts
Do you know if the center mass hold stays on the G26 with HD XRs? Or does it change to a combat or 6 o’clock hold. It’s been a while since I’ve had HDs on a Glock
I have not had the HD XR's, I have 3 pairs of "original" HD's. I can say the HD's are very much a "top ledge" to center of mass (almost imperceptibly leaning towards 6 o'clock), a hold I prefer. If memory serves they have a .91 difference in front and rear sight height. I have read the XR's are more geared towards combat sight picture, which is why I shied away from them. Purely a personal preference. I would have went with the XR's for their more narrow front sight but my POA wins out over front sight width.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts