Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been doing some research for the past week or so regarding swapping out my G17 Gen 5 MOS trigger for an aftermarket one. I have two Glocks, a G17 Gen 3 with a 'Glockworx' trigger swap, and a G17 Gen 5 MOS with a stock trigger.

I've been leaning towards the ones I mentioned in my title in order. My understanding is that Glockworx is the same as ZEV, correct? The Glockworx website states:

The main source of products are from ZEV Technologies, the manufacturer of Glockworx equipment.

I really like the ZEV (Glockworx) trigger in my Gen 3, it has a similar pre-travel to stock (I could personally use a bit less if I had an option) and the break is more of a roll than a glass rod which I definitely prefer.

My Gen 5 trigger in comparison to the ZEV trigger is terrible. I can't really tell where the pre-travel ends because the wall has no definition and is extremely mushy/gritty until it breaks. The wall feels like it's 1mm in length and the whole pull through is putting my sights off target. The pull on my Gen 3 feels like 4.5-5 lbs, and the Gen 5 feels like 6-7 lbs, though I don't have a reader to verify. Reset on Gen 3 is a very bit shorter than stock but would prefer more reduction.

I took both to the range a week ago and quickly decided that I need new trigger for my Gen 5. I was able to hit metal targets, on average, 7 out of 10 shots at 25 yards with my Gen 3 as opposed to 3 out of 10 shots at 25 yards with my Gen 5

So with my experience with the two I would like an opinion on what I should move toward. I am looking for :

- a bit of reduced pre-travel
- a rolling break on a wall that is clearly defined
- a reset shorter than stock
- a pull weight of 4-4.5 lbs.
- A drop in trigger, trigger bar, and trigger connector
- not a huge hit to my wallet

I'm leaning more towards the Apex because most reviews show that it has a rolling break, but I also wouldn't mind the ZEV considering it's what I'm using (though my experience is with a gen 3). Overwatch is coming in 3rd and johnnyglocks in 4th because although 200USD is not a bad price for the kit, I'm not digging having to add another 90USD for a decent looking trigger shoe. I really do want to get the JG but the price is putting me off considering that a 130-150 kit would serve the same purpose for what I'm aiming for.

I tried my best to research and decide but I could use more updated opinions. Please help me decide! Thanks for your time, ahead of time.

EDIT: If you have a better option or suggestion I am more than willing to listen. Although I've done a bit of digging and research, I know I am still lacking in the knowledge area of what swaps would bring me best results.

·
I feel pretty.
3,943 Posts
Apex trigger shoe.

Notice how all the others have thick safeties. Your finger sinks in there and gets bit during recoil. Zevtech especially. After some companies have been caught defeating critical safeties, and also the event where my Zev kit started to double tap on it's own........I've gone back to OEM G35 triggers. With a flush cut safety.

Lone Wolf 3.5 connector. Lonewolf striker spring kit. OEM trigger spring only.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
“Rolling break” “Mushy Trigger” “Crisp reset” etc etc etc - those are all descriptions of the effect of the connector and not the trigger.

The effect of the trigger is sensitivity to or forgiveness of minor control issues or the efficiency of the forces it passes down the bar which results in helping/hurting trigger control issues.

Mix and match triggers/connectors to find the best setup for you because it’s a very personal preference.

I’ve tried a large number of aftermarket triggers. The Zevtech Fulcrum is far and away my favorite followed by the Pro flat face.

I was most disappointed (mainly because my expectations were SO high) with Overwatch - I’d still rank it above most others but I expected it to equal the Zev and it didn’t.

For the connectors, I personally prefer the Glock minus. I prefer to be able to feel some wall and can’t stand the “rolling” trigger feel. So you’ll have to experiment with connectors.

Summary:
Trigger - pick the one you pull (live fire) the most consistently.
Connector - pick the one that gives the trigger the feel you want.

Reactions: Recipe7

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I want to add - I keep all my self defense guns factory stock and train with heavier triggers than stock. Don’t use aftermarket stuff to cover up problems. Use it to gain extra advantage for competition.

Reactions: Recipe7

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information and opinions, they are all very helpful. Still contemplating on my end and doing a lot of reading. Will be looking into connectors now, zerodefect and mtstream, thanks.

In regards to the connectors, is it a safe assumption that a kit consisting of a connector, trigger, and trigger bar from one company is a more reliable and consistent option compared to, say, purchasing a trigger and trigger bar from zev/apex/overwatch and purchasing a seperate connector from lonewolf, ghost, or glock minus? Or all connectors 'universal' and provide different characteristics irregardless of the trigger and trigger bar?

·
I feel pretty.
3,943 Posts
No. Some of those kits take things a little too far. My Zevtech Race connector won't even function in gen4 Glocks. With the Fulcrum trigger it was fine. I gave all of that to a fellow IDPA competitor. (I didn't do him a favor)

I prefer connectors that only change the angle of the connection. More creep, less leverage required. You trade crisp, for creep. Lone Wolf and the OEM Glock 3.5 are that way.

Don't fall for the kits that promise, or even try to make major changes. "1911 like Glock trigger'', for example. Improved quality OEM type parts are best.

Don't forget to polish the connector and trigger bar. Stone the striker cross if it ever gets dinged up on it's engagement surface. A Zevtech forged striker can be handy here.

·
18,942 Posts
I've been doing some research for the past week or so regarding swapping out my G17 Gen 5 MOS trigger for an aftermarket one. I have two Glocks, a G17 Gen 3 with a 'Glockworx' trigger swap, and a G17 Gen 5 MOS with a stock trigger.

I've been leaning towards the ones I mentioned in my title in order. My understanding is that Glockworx is the same as ZEV, correct? The Glockworx website states:

The main source of products are from ZEV Technologies, the manufacturer of Glockworx equipment.

I really like the ZEV (Glockworx) trigger in my Gen 3, it has a similar pre-travel to stock (I could personally use a bit less if I had an option) and the break is more of a roll than a glass rod which I definitely prefer.

My Gen 5 trigger in comparison to the ZEV trigger is terrible. I can't really tell where the pre-travel ends because the wall has no definition and is extremely mushy/gritty until it breaks. The wall feels like it's 1mm in length and the whole pull through is putting my sights off target. The pull on my Gen 3 feels like 4.5-5 lbs, and the Gen 5 feels like 6-7 lbs, though I don't have a reader to verify. Reset on Gen 3 is a very bit shorter than stock but would prefer more reduction.

I took both to the range a week ago and quickly decided that I need new trigger for my Gen 5. I was able to hit metal targets, on average, 7 out of 10 shots at 25 yards with my Gen 3 as opposed to 3 out of 10 shots at 25 yards with my Gen 5

So with my experience with the two I would like an opinion on what I should move toward. I am looking for :

- a bit of reduced pre-travel
- a rolling break on a wall that is clearly defined
- a reset shorter than stock
- a pull weight of 4-4.5 lbs.
- A drop in trigger, trigger bar, and trigger connector
- not a huge hit to my wallet

I'm leaning more towards the Apex because most reviews show that it has a rolling break, but I also wouldn't mind the ZEV considering it's what I'm using (though my experience is with a gen 3). Overwatch is coming in 3rd and johnnyglocks in 4th because although 200USD is not a bad price for the kit, I'm not digging having to add another 90USD for a decent looking trigger shoe. I really do want to get the JG but the price is putting me off considering that a 130-150 kit would serve the same purpose for what I'm aiming for.

I tried my best to research and decide but I could use more updated opinions. Please help me decide! Thanks for your time, ahead of time.

EDIT: If you have a better option or suggestion I am more than willing to listen. Although I've done a bit of digging and research, I know I am still lacking in the knowledge area of what swaps would bring me best results.
"EDIT: If you have a better option or suggestion I am more than willing to listen. Although I've done a bit of digging and research, I know I am still lacking in the knowledge area of what swaps would bring me best results."

A much better option which is to leave the stock trigger alone and learn how to use it. Glock triggers are not meant to feel like a single action 1911 trigger or any kind of precision target trigger.

Glock triggers are more like a DA revolver trigger and take the same amount of training to be able to shoot well and the way to do it is to focus ONLY on hitting your target, and increasing your speed of accessing your target, and ignoring things like "pre-travel" and "the wall" and the trigger having no definition and being extremely mushy/gritty until it breaks.

If you focused on all of those sorts of things with a DA revolver trigger, you could never learn to shoot it well. Those things are all in your mind. It's your body that needs to learn how to operate the trigger through practice and repetition until it becomes automatic, and not to use aftermarket hardware to make it how your mind thinks it should be, and end up making it less reliable and less safe to carry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A lot more great information, thanks for the input. I'll be looking more into 'upgrading' what's currently in the system or using OEM parts.

@Borg Warner: I really didn't think about the glock being a DA, but it does make sense considering that much more is going on from the first pull to break compared reset to break. I've been concerned about my first shot and how the trigger has been affecting my performance. My standpoint is due to the fact that I have another G17 with a swapped trigger that is pushing me towards aftermarket parts. I do agree that I should get acquainted with a stock glock and practice constantly. I also have been considering a G19 to appease my goal for performing solid on stock. Next time I am out on the range I will keep on the reset zone and see how I can perform. Appreciate your input.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
As far as mixing triggers/connectors - you do want to avoid trigger with Pre/post travel adjustments mixing with connectors that can do the same. It’s easy to get “non-functioning” as a result. Other than that, you should be fine but will have to experiment to know for sure.

If you are changing the trigger parts to “make” you shoot better - that is a mistake. The result is that you will remain a poor shooter forever. If I want to lift weights and want to feel like I’m good at it, I can buy weights that look heavy but are actually very light. It might look impressive. But no matter what I do with them, I’ll never become stronger. The only way to do that is to put the work in.

Same goes for the muscles related to being a good marksman. If you haven’t developed the skill, changing/lightening triggers just keeps those muscles underdeveloped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tip on mixing triggers and connectors, mtstream.

I agree with your sentiment mtstream. I have experience with 4 different handguns and find the stock glock trigger to be something I am really uncomfortable with. I suppose I should have mentioned that I suffer from carpal tunnel (which I continue to exacerbate as I work with a keyboard for a living), and although the weather is warming up, I do have issues when the temperature is colder. It's not painful to shoot, but I do have very slight tremors when squeezing anything by hand if I have to exert much effort.

Great information and I love hearing it from both sides!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts