close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trigger Safety Damage Test

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NewGlocker28, Feb 9, 2010.

1. NewGlocker28

NewGlocker28

I'm a rookie gun owner and made a rookie mistake. I was cleaning my Glock for the first time and was trying to figure out were to put lube "where the connector and trigger bar meet". I couldn't figure out where exactly that was so I either googled it or looked it up on a forum. Someone had responded to pull the trigger and where you see the parts moving, that's where it was. So I did this, only to later read from my Glock manual to NEVER pull the trigger when the slide is off b/c the trigger safety MAY be damaged.

Any way to check to see if I have damaged my trigger saftey? I've since dry fired it and it seems to work fine. I've tried to pull the trigger without pushing in the trigger safety and it does not fire (as it shouldn't). Any other thoughts on how to tell if I've damaged the trigger safety?

Thanks for the input and advice

2. G36_Me

G36_Me

Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing, this picture explains the trigger safety. If you think you might have damaged it, have an armorer examine it. I would not venture to guess if damage was done without looking at it. Good luck.

[​IMG]

3. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

Do a function check, like the manual says. You probably did not break it just by doing it once. Even if you did, glock would probably fix it free.

At worst a trigger assembly costs $15 and if you are halfway good mechanically, you can change it in 10 minutes.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=195

You can see the lube point just by wiggling the trigger. A drop of oil (your favorite lube, break free, or some people even use mobil 1 car engine oil with good results) or one drop of grease. Automotive grease works well, and is the same stuff as the fancy stuff from the gun store that costs 5 times as much. I squeeze a drop in at the point where the two parts touch

[​IMG]

4. michael88

michael88

woah what happened to just lubing in the 3 2 1 spots?

5. xp100

xp100

I'd be careful with grease. I used an automotive wheel bearing grease which ended up preventing the trigger assy from holding the striker in the firing position. This in turn made it very difficult to field strip to clean out the grease.

6. Noponer

Noponer

Wrong place!

The critical point on the connector is not the small tab marked in yellow, but rather the sloped surface to the left in this photo... where the tip of the trigger bar rubs. See the area circled in black below. (Lubing for the tab should be done on the cam on the inside of the slide.)

[​IMG]

7. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

I may be wrong, but, thanks to gravity, if you put a drop of oil on the spot in the first post, it should coat the whole connector and trigger bar interface. Just dry fire it a few times after you get it back together, to spread the oil.

8. Noponer

Noponer

Yeah, gravity will probably get it there. But why not put it where it is needed most in the first place? Glock says this is the most important lube spot in the gun.

Besides, the factory uses a light grease there when doing armorer work. So do I, usually (Mil-Comm TW25B). Gravity does not help much then.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  9. Noponer

Noponer

Why would grease "prevent the trigger assy from holding the striker in the firing position"... & why would it ever hold the striker (firing pin) there? (Does this mean firing pin forward?)

And what does the position of the striker have to do with field stripping the gun?

Wheel bearing grease is too heavy & sticky to use anywhere in a Glock.

10. geo57

geo57

NewGlocker, do you mean with your slide off, you pulled the trigger back some from it's already fired / uncocked position or you some how manually reset / cocked the trigger and then pulled it all the way back and dry fired it ? Not sure exactly what he means either. I understand the part about Glock not wanting this latter maneuver done. To be honest, I really don't even know how one resets the trigger with the slide off, but Glock warns against it, so obviously it can be done.

11. Willybone

Willybone

Whoops. I have definitely reset and then pulled the trigger while the slide was off. Everything seems to still work fine.
    In the future, I'll remember to not do that.
    That's what I get for not getting a manual with my G26.

12. BadAndy

BadAndy

It's very easy to reset the trigger with the slide off. Once it's reset, the trigger safety is very tight and takes a lot of pressure to disengage which is likely why it can become damaged. However, you can safely pull the trigger after resetting by applying forward pressure to the arm that connects to the trigger. Forgive my crude use of calling it that but I'm not sure what the correct name is.

13. whitey4311

whitey4311

No harm in doing this and its how I cycle the parts after applying grease to that area when I detail strip. As mentioned forward pressure on the trigger bar while pulling the trigger is what you have to do to simulate the slide being on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_2ykakOgU