close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trigger pull error targets

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Generalcarry, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I had this target but I can't find the original I used to copy for friends. A girl I know bought her first gun (.22 Bobcat) and is becoming interested is shooting. I'd like to send her a copy but I can't locate it. I've googled and searched here, but have come up empty. Does anyone have one they could post?
    Thanks

2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I've not heard of this type of target before.

Typically left and right is trigger control and up and down is breathing. If she can identify consecutive shots she can read any target and correct accordingly.

3. Skyhook

Skyhook

I know exactly to which target the OP refers- I have used it in primary instruction for years.

The target described consists of a facsimile of a B-2 target divided into quadrants. Shooter problems indicated by bullet strikes off the bullseye are diagnosed according to where they strike.

Excellent teaching aid and IF I can locate one, I'll try to identify the source.

Edit: Not exactly the target I use, but it will serve, I think.
    http://www.makarov.com/graphics/targets/anatarget.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. paul45

paul45

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I think that picture over complicates things, and takes too much thinking away from the shooter.

There are really only two things needed for accurate shooting.

- keeping the sights on target
    - while you press the trigger.

I demonstrate this with each class I shoot, using service grade ammo, shooting 1" or less groups at 21ft, with only thumb + trigger finger on the gun.

I also have my instructor candidates or students use one hand (don't trust em enough to use two fingers...if I do, it's one round in the gun only, no mag!) at 15ft.

If she's shooting a .22 bobcat (which I assume is the gun below)
    [​IMG]

then there may be a few things working against her from get go.

1st being there's not enough gun there to isolate other problems she would naturally encounter, while working on the fundamentals. While there are only two things needed for accurate shooting, you don't get to accurate shooting quickly, if

- the gun don't fit
    - there is too much recoil (does not apply here)
    - he/she is not comfortable
    - he/she is unable to concentrate
    - he/she does not have a good coach/trainer

If you start with a proper fitting gun, in the caliber she already has (.22lr), chances are she will not need much work to get to accurate shooting.

'Drew

6. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

Shows up bigger if you click it.

[​IMG]

7. zenmanxxx

zenmanxxx

"1st being there's not enough gun there to isolate other problems she would naturally encounter, while working on the fundamentals. While there are only two things needed for accurate shooting, you don't get to accurate shooting quickly, if

- the gun don't fit
    - there is too much recoil (does not apply here)
    - he/she is not comfortable
    - he/she is unable to concentrate
    - he/she does not have a good coach/trainer

If you start with a proper fitting gun, in the caliber she already has (.22lr), chances are she will not need much work to get to accurate shooting.

'Drew[/quote]"

Agreed....

and I will add that when I teach I start with a blank target....something large and close. Positive reinforcement will come with this method. The shooter will hit the target without the negative aspects of not hitting the bull...or a smallish type target.

A good instructor can identify the new shooters problems for them. Then offer corrective measures.

The "Ball and Dummy" excercise is very revealing when it comes to identifying a shooters control issues.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. BAILIFF

BAILIFF Piece Officer

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've sent the above target to a lot of folks... just make sure if she's Left handed, you send her the left handed target(yes, the left handed version is slightly different)

What I usually suggest, is not necessarily shooting that target, but shooting a normal target, say... 25x, and see where a majority of your shots are going compared to where you want them to go, then see what the corrective target tells you the problem is.

IGF

10. major

major Rejected member

I am a certified firearms instructor although I do not work in that area anymore.
    With that said, please keep in mind that the targets everybody is showing should be used as a guideline only. It is something to start with but is not always definitive. There are MANY reasons why a person's shot may have gone where it did. Just saying that these targets are a good beginning point, and definitely helpful, but not always foolproof.

11. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

THIS^^^^

For a novice shooter, this thing is all but useless. If you are at a high skill level in all other aspects of firing your gun, then, you don't need a chart.

12. Skyhook

Skyhook

The chart, as I have used it, is a good aid to assist the infrequent shooter as to why he/she is not hitting where he/she thinks the shots should be going.

It's an AID, nothing more... and it's not for everyone, obviously.

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Cptn Hook,

:cool:

I've assisted well over 100+ shooters last year - either in a formal setting or just helping out someone on the range. With every single one of them, I did impart the tools they needed for proper self diagnosis of their shooting deficiencies.

In fact, I STOLE :supergrin: something from M2Carbine. I now expect all of my student candidates to have learned the material so well they should be able to at least

• check someone else for eye dominance
    • state and explain what the shooting fundamentals are
    • state & explain which two are the most important of the fundamentals
    • shoot a string of five rounds, and articulate :whistling: at what point each of those fundamentals occur during live fire
    • Do all of the above with dominant hand, pulling trigger, then non dominant hand.
    So far, I'm batting 100. If I showed them that chart, it would be a real good/fast way to confuse the heck outta em. Heck, it confuses me!

14. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I used to work with this gal (I retired 8 years ago) and only communicate by email. She was trying to explain the gun her husband bought for her and used the words twenty-two, smaller and pop-up. I'm guessing Tomcat. My advice to her was to pay to have someone, besides her husband, show her the proper way to shoot, and call her lawyer before even thinking about her "shoot to wound" theory.
    I just wanted to encourage her and thought maybe the target may her out to the range more. I figured curiosity, if nothing else, would get her out.
    Thanks, you can always count on help from GT.

15. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

As others have already said, these charts can point out some common mistakes, but they are hardly complete, and leave many, many common issues out (cross-dominance issues, support wrist extension, ignoring the rear sight, etc.). There is truly no substitute for having an experienced instructor watch you shoot and work with you directly to correct issues.