Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
do you guys polish your trigger? if so does it actually help? Cany you cause problems polshing the trigger?
You can certainly cause problems over polishing your trigger parts. I guess the question I have is what are you looking to improve?

If your trigger is rough you may have rough edges on stamped parts. You can fix that with a fine stone or fine sandpaper.

Otherwise, polishing parts with a q tip and something like Mother's Mag Polish can smooth things out. There, you are basically hurrying the process that shooting a lot will also accomplish, just taking longer.

If you want to actually lighten the pull you probably need to do it mechanically with springs and in Glock's case a lighter connector.

Dave

·
MacGyver
8,244 Posts
Yes, and I have NOT noticed a difference that is outside of placebo range. (once you have done it, there is no way to compare before and after, side by side in the same gun....So OF COURSE!!!, it feels better because of the stupid wasted effort and time you spent getting there). Unlikely to be measurable by any scale unless you are also changing other mechanical parts (connectors, springs, trigger bars and trigger shoes)

Grinding and smoothing the front of the trigger shoe so that the trigger safety is flush with the rest of the trigger makes more difference to me on how the trigger "feels".

·
Registered
37,618 Posts
I shoot & dry fire a lot, so yes polishing correctly will have an affect in feel It wont be lighter but feel better on the press. Which is really all I am looking for. I am fine w/ a 5# trigger if it is smooth & predictable.

Reactions: Iceman8

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Swap out the factory striker spring for a reduced 4lb one and the glock trigger isn't bad at all. Polishing never seemed to do that much from what I've felt.

·
Registered
9,422 Posts
Swap out the factory striker spring for a reduced 4lb one and the glock trigger isn't bad at all. Polishing never seemed to do that much from what I've felt.
A couple of hours performing secondary operations is all it needs, and this way you can keep the stock spring or at least a 5 pd. And I see folks putting in the reduced power plunger springs, not necessary.

4 pd spring may cause some problems down the road and does not address the underlying problems, which are heavy burrs on the sheetmetal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As someone else has said, polishing the surfaces will result in a smooth and reliable trigger pull if done with care. I have found no improvement to the weight of the pull, but a noticeable difference in the smoothness when firing.
Be careful if you decide to try it. It is easy to cause problems if you get too aggressive.

·
USS Texas BB-35
4,583 Posts
I notice a much smoother pull, not lighter.
I found the firing pin plunger, to trigger bar ramp makes by far the biggest difference, and you would have to be a blind one handed gorilla (No offence intended to any actual blind one handed gorillas) to cause ANY safety issues by too aggressive polishing on those surfaces.
smoothing out machine marks on the hook of the striker, polishing the cruciform edges, and the rounded portion of the trigger bar, along with ensuring no rough stamping flash on the connector will fix any roughness from the factory (as will 1000 rds live fire or dry fire).
One thing it will truly do for the shooter is teach you exactly how the fire control system of your pistol works.
You don't want to "remove metal" just smooth any roughly finished sear/ friction points.
But that is just my opinion.

FWIW I picked up a brand new S&W 686-6 revolver that had a pretty bad trigger out of the box, a wee dab of semichrome on the sear engagement points with 300 rounds dry fire, then cleaning all the polish out, and oiling the sear surfaceses, transformed that pistol. Same springs, no stoning, no parts changing, just marrying the parts with some ultrafine polish, and 3 drops of oil.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a new glock 34 gen 4 that is pretty gritty and rough on the trigger pull so, I thought about polishing the trigger parts according to some youtubes I have. I can't find any Flitz or Mother's Mag locally I just want to smooth out the trigger pull not lighten it. Would my Dremel with felt polishing wheels/cone shaped pads maybe work using this stuff which I already have? Thanks! https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G10...fK&pd_rd_wg=Upkjo&refRID=MY298W9B29E2W5MRK6MD

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
p5200, before you polish anything, make sure you don't have rough edges on the stamped metal parts, like the trigger bar. Those can be smoothed with a very fine sand paper backed with a small piece of wood.

When it comes to polish, if you're going to order from Amazon, you can get Flitz and Mother's Mag Polish for about the same price as the Meguires.
https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-BP-035...pID=4172oJUJZmL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-0510...1-1&keywords=mother's+mag+and+aluminum+polish

Once you're sure there are no burr edges on the stamped metal parts try polishing with a q-tip first. See if that will shine things up.

Remember, other than burrs, you don't want to remove any metal, just smoothing contact points. When polishing, you're just trying to mimic the wear that shooting a lot would do all on its own.

Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a small I think, hard Arkansas stone I thought about going over the trigger bar and connector etc. lightly just to remove any burrs at contact points that rub together first before any polishing using a Qtip helps me find burrs pretty quickly. I appreciate all the detailed info and the link! Thanks! :flag:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts