close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trigger Back or Forward when Carrying Unchambered?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TxGlock26, Jan 7, 2010.

1. TxGlock26

TxGlock26

I know there is an ongoing debate about carrying one in the chamber, so I will not ask the same question in this thread. For those who carry unchambered, does it matter if the trigger is forward or backward? Is there any technical or mechanical advantage to one or the other?

Thanks,

TxGlock26

2. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

The only possible difference I can see, depending on the gun, would be if it changes the amount of force needed to rack the slide back. An old trick for chambering a round was to cock the hammer, thus making it easier for the slide to be retracted. But outside of something like that I don't see any advantage or disadvantage either way.

3. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I am admitting up front that this might be a bit of a stretch, but.....

If you do happen to draw and do not have a chance to rack or need to fire, if the gun is "trigger forward" and the advesary is a gun guy, at least you don't give up the fact that you are not ready to fire. :dunno:

4. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

Huh?

Not getting this.

You talking about the hammer?

:dunno:

The trigger "just is". Depending on the model. I would think the trigger on an unchambered weapon would be forward.

On some when it is chambered and the gun is "cocked" it will bring the trigger back into a single action.

However on my Kahr, since it is double action only, the trigger stays forward whether chambered or not.

5. TxGlock26

TxGlock26

On my Glock 26, the trigger can be pulled and it stays in the rearward position. If I rack the slide, it stays in the forward position. I have handled a Kahr PM9, so I am familiar with how it is always in the same position.

I have been leaving it in the rearward position so that it was easy for me to identify as being "unchambered". However, I may rethink it based on the comments from others.

TxGlock26

6. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Doesn't matter, completely moot point.

Unchambered gun = unloaded gun = useless.

You might carry around for awhile with an empty chamber and the trigger forward to assure yourself that at the end of the day the trigger is still forward and an AD/ND would not have occurred.

7. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota

unless you press the trigger to drop the hammer/striker on the empty chamber. then it will be back.

personally, if i were to carry with an empty chamber, i would carry with the trigger back. that way i would maybe theoretically remember there was no round in the chamber as soon as i stuck my finger in the trigger guard rather than having to wait to hear click when i really, really wanted to hear BANG.

not that it would likely make much difference...if you have trained to rack the slide as part of your draw, hopefully you had both hands free and actually did it by that point anyway. and, if you did not, you are probably dead either way.

8. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Welcome to GT. You should really carry with a round chambered. I've had to draw my gun twice to defend myself, and in both cases there would not have been time to rack the slide, had I needed to.

9. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Since the GLOCK cocks on the forward motion, so I don't think that would apply. A hammer pistol cocks on the opening of the slide, so there, there would be difference.

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

So, how 'bout them Cubs? [​IMG]

11. 9jeeps

9jeeps

Unchambered.... Trigger back... always

Chambered... Trigger forward... Always

Simple enough? Keeps from having to ask yourself a stupid question, pulling the trigger and getting a suprise.
    Duh,,,, BANG! Owwweeee!:wow:

12. TxGlock26

TxGlock26

Thanks!!! I was thinking the same thing...

13. TxGlock26

TxGlock26

Thank you. I probably will carry one in the chamber once I am more comfortable with the idea of carrying.

14. deadcalm4u

deadcalm4u overkill

Don't know GLOCK's huh? Thats cool, just pointing out the obvious.

15. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Good call. I carried unchambered for the first couple of weeks when I first started because I was using a cheap Uncle Mike's holster that didn't cover the trigger.

Congrats on your decision to carry at all. We need more people like you.

16. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

nope.

:supergrin:

17. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Not only that, but if the trigger is rearward on a Glock, you know it has an empty chamber and will not fire.

I used to keep my Glock like that in my truck. Once I felt comfortable with it, it was always loaded, chambered, and ready to go.

18. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

19. deadcalm4u

deadcalm4u overkill

LOL! Not trying to be a d***, just trying to be a smart ***.

I have nothing constructive to add, but to the OP, maybe try carrying around the house with one in the pipe until you gain confidence.

20. Jon_R

Jon_R

If you are not carrying with one on the chamber because you just don't want to then I say carry with the trigger pulled (rearward) assuming it is a Glock.

IF you are not carrying with one in the chamber because you are not comfortable or confident in the pistol or yourself and think it will fire without the trigger being pulled then carry with the chamber empty and the trigger set (forward) assuming it is a Glock.

With it this way anytime you remove it from the holster check the trigger is still set and that it did not get pulled inadvertently. After carrying it for a while and see it does not get pulled on its own it should help you feel more comfortable and you can reconsider if you should carry chamber loaded or not.

If you still want to carry chamber empty then go ahead and do it. Completely up to you.