Tried Zero Filter...Ugh!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MGGLOCK9, Aug 17, 2018.

1. MGGLOCK9

MGGLOCK9

We have used Brita filters for years. Seemed good. Kept seeing the ads "Oh dear" Brita leaves undissolved solids.

Well..I cleaned the new container, rinsed well. poured water, waited, waited -finally gave up and put it in the fridge. Next morning tried a drink OMG!

The last time I tasted water this bad was as a kid drinking from a garden hose. The same chemical soup taste.

Oh well, their ads sold another one. They made money.

It reminds me of the time I was somehow inspired by a Wendy's ad to stop at the one in town. Cold tasteless and crushed to a flat mess. Why do. I still listen to marketers?

orangejeep06, catman71 and Inyo Tim like this.
  2. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs

3. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

As I get older, I resent being advertised at more and more.

Beyond that, though, you don't necessarily want to be drinking what is essentially distilled water. Water likes to contain minerals, and if the water you are drinking doesn't have any minerals, it will extract them from YOU.

It's sort of analogous to putting zinc pucks on your boat motor to prevent the water from corroding your expensive cast aluminum motor, or putting sacrificial anodes underground near steel tanks to prevent corrosion.

gatorboy likes this.
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I could probably drink swamp water and not notice the difference.
    Drank too much treated water in the military, burned out my taste buds.

cbetts1, powernoodle and TBO like this.
  5. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

A couple years back wanted to get a filter. Did a lot of reading around. Looked to me like Zero takes out too much. Settled on Pur because it filters a good bit more than Britta and the filters are reasonably priced and available everywhere. Been real happy with it.

powernoodle likes this.
  6. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

I'm curious as to why you buy/use these filters. Is your local water supply bad in some way or are you trying to protect yourselves from potential problems? Not being critical at all, I just don't get it.

powernoodle and catman71 like this.
  7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Water quality can vary greatly from area to area. I've been to places it's undrinkable.

One cafe I would stop at when traveling north always had poor coffee. I out why the first time I had a glass of water... yuck, their well water was awful.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  8. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    TBO likes this.
  9. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

I have a tremendous amount of iron in my water, and it's from a well to boot. We're using the fridge filter for now, but at some point, we're going to have to check into something for whole-house filtration. I'm not looking forward to this, at all.

21 shooter, Lt. Donn and TBO like this.
  10. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

Try a Culligan "Good Water Machine". It is simply an RO filter that does a real good job at making water better. The local water here sucks but after filtering it, our ice and water taste very good. Filters can be had on eBay for around $50 and I change them out maybe every couple years.

TBO likes this.
  11. quasii

quasii

I filter my water through my workout socks, after my dog is done chewing on them... I want my immune system to be tip-top, so I can drink out of cow ponds when necessary.

12. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    We have been using a Berkey for years, with excellent results....

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I used to drink from garden hoses everywhere. Just let it run so you don't burn your lips. Now it goes thru a multi pure. Maybe drink off hose couple times a yr after running hundreds of gallons thru.
    Bought a "as good as" multi pure filter. Black carbon dust type stuff in water. Guess extra $$$ worth it.

14. drumgod

drumgod

I'm on high iron well. Without treatment the water is nasty. My place had a pretty nice setup when I bought it. Water gets hydrogen peroxide added then it goes into a mix tank where sediment drops to the bottom to be drained off. (Mud comes out.) From there it goes through a water softener sized carbon filter which gets back-flushed periodically. Then, into a regular water softener. Water for the kitchen sinks and ice machine then goes through an RO filter. (The ones that look kinda like a scuba tank setup. I can get filters at the home improvement store.) It's basically "purified" bottled water by that time... I have no idea how much it would cost to reproduce that setup but it sure makes tasty water.

15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

So true.

We lived in SF a long time, we had some of the best tasting water available anywhere almost the whole time. My in-laws live in Las Vegas, holy smokes, it is undrinkable. The largest aisle at Smith's is the bottled water aisle. Filtration just isn't going to do it. Even Starbucks is undrinkable.

When we first started searching for a place to move to from SF, water quality was the first item on our list. People would be amazed how many places became a "no go" because it didn't pass the water taste test on our first visit.

I think we made it out of SF just in time (as it pertains to water quality). There is a very powerful and wealthy group of activists in SF that hate the whole idea of Hetch-Hetchy water (Yosemite), they are now starting to pump well water for drinking supply in SF. Not good.

TBO likes this.
  16. Bruce M

Bruce M

17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    [​IMG]

Bruce M likes this.
  18. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

the Culligan R/O units are reasonably priced, easy to install and do a good job...just my 2 cents

19. 308M1A

308M1A

Zero water? I’ve had one of their pitchers for years, it’s great. Clean fresh water, no chemical taste at all.

20. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Who drinks water?

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

RenoF250, cbetts1, KWalrad and 2 others like this.