Tried sellig a handgun face to face today. Got arrested...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mixflip, Jan 16, 2010.

1. mixflip

mixflip

Well, the guy who tried to buy my gun got arrested that is.

I put an ad on backpage.com for a handgun for sale. A guy called and said he wanted it really bad. I told him we MUST meet at the police station so I can ensure that he actually registers the gun in his name. (thats the law in our county but not in the whole state)

He said he had no problem with that since he had no felonies or domestics or mental issues. So I said great lets do business.

Many folks just do a face to face sale in a parking lot and let the buyer register the gun on their own (they have 60 days). I personally like to stay present until its actually registered 100% to the buyer, then I leave.

Well, I hand over the gun with his ID to the police and a few minutes later...the cops come out and want to talk to him. They take him away. A few more minutes later the cops come out and inform me that he is actually a felon and that I need to make a report of how our whole deal came to be and that he was being arrested.

Unfortunately they confiscated my gun for evidence but said it will be returned as soon as possible.

The good thing is that I did everything by the book and did nothing wrong. I figured that no one who has a criminal history is stupid enough to come to the police station and try to legally buy a gun.

Well I guess I was wrong because he was a felon and was that stupid. I still cant figure out how he thought he would slip by the background check?

The only thing that made me nervous was that I forgot to remove some black tape that I had put over the serial numbers. I am one of those folks that covers the serial numbers when I take pictures of my guns. They thought that was suspicious at first but I explained it quickly. I just forgot it was there.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. txgunguy

txgunguy

Wow! What state do you live in?

3. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

4. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Never "misunderestimate" the stupidity in some people.:supergrin:

But if this guy had any record and was willing to make a gun sale at the police station I think he hits very high on the Richter Scale of ""Tard".:wow:

Reasons like this is why I stopped selling any gun via the want ads a long time ago and now do consignment sales at a local gun shop. Yeah, maybe I lose a couple bucks, and it takes longer for them to move, but one less headache for me to deal with for a sale.

5. raven11

raven11

glad you did everything by the book !

6. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

Yeah, that guy was a drooling, ear chewing, helmet wearing, other-people-cut-my-steak-up-for-me retard.

7. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I started a thread today. Well no I didn't.

8. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I hope they don't beat your gun up too bad. ASAP could be awhile. Keep on 'em.

9. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

I'm going to guess Michigan or someplace with no state premtion like Ohio.

10. okie

okie GT Mayor

I sure hope you get your gun back my friend, stay on top of it for sure:alex:

11. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

MI requires a purchase permit for handguns and statewide registration, veiled as a safety inspection.

12. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

So, you went the extra mile to make sure everything was done legally, and YOUR gun was confiscated for it?!?!?

Wrong message being sent by your county, there.

13. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

It wasn't a state law that screwed the OP. It was a local thing in his county.

14. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

just for the record, there's a significant difference between *I* got arrested, and *that other guy* got arrested.

Seriously, like, it's one of the rules. However unlikely you'll get your gun back in short order and unshot, it's not the same as being arrested. It's more like your gun being arrested. And then POSSIBLY molested.

But at least your on the street unarmed, with no evil GUN that might go off and hurt some city folks. They can count that as a 'gun crime' and 'one less illegal gun' and don't you love when the newspaper mentions your name and address and then says 'has not been charged' like you snuck away and they didn't notice you..

I'm not sure what requirement there is for the police to maintain custody of the weapon, when video and depositions exist, but law hasn't caught up to technology yet, and may not ever. IF they take your gun they should be forced to give you a loaner till it was returned..

15. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

...impossible, since there is no such thibg as a 'gun show loophole'

16. groovyash

groovyash

Yep, to reward him for being such a stand up citizen they should return his gun and blow the felony arrest.

If you want to convict for a gun charge you need to establish that it was an actual firing weapon, meaning it has to go to the crime lab and be tested. Yeah, it sucks for the OP. Thank a defense attorney.

17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    :goodpost:

OP, to find out if there's a way to speed up your gun return, find out who will be prosecuting the Felon.

That Prosecutor can okay the early release of your gun (if possible). It may take a week or two before there is a Prosecutor who can speak as to this.

As noted above, the gun "makes" the case, and is why it was retained in the first place.
    The Prosecutor needs it until he's comfortable it's not needed in open court.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  18. happy seal

happy seal

I am usually not on Troll alert, but in the title and the strory I smell shennaigans! I could be wrong! Here if the guy has a permit to carry pistols or revolvers he is good to go, No permit = no sale. If you receive a felony or even a protective order you must turn your permit over ASAP.:dunno:

19. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

listen to tbo on this one ..

although it could go as far as not getting a prosecutor till a couple days before trial ..

20. mixflip

mixflip

Hey, sometimes life is stranger than fiction buddy. It happened today at 9am and I just had to tell the good folks here at GT about a retard and my gun confiscation.

As for the state? I live in Nevada in Las Vegas (Clark County) Its a gun friendly state with open carry support but Las Vegas/Clark County is goofy. All handguns must be registered if purchased in the county. Anywhere else in the state, you can meet, trade cash for handgun and go, I am pretty sure? I have never sold a gun outside the county.