Tried a red dot RMR the other day and now I get it

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by G26-Has-my-6, Mar 8, 2018.

1. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I tried the Trijicon RMR "red dot" sight the other day at the range on a G19 and now I get it. It's the future of pistol sights. It's miles better than iron sights. I would think Glock would have recognized this and would have offered an MOS version of every handgun. It's surprising that that they only offer a few models in MOS. Just curious how many of you have tried red dots and what you think of them. I'm really disappointed the G23 and G32 are not available in MOS.

2. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Yes, it’s like cheating. I wish I could put one on my 26.

porschedog, ValueMan, LOOT and 2 others like this.

3. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I dont mind cheating when threatened with lethal force!

Willard, LOOT, starfish86 and 2 others like this.
  4. A6Gator

A6Gator

It's a lot quicker for me to shoot with a dot. I really like the Vortex Venom. Pretty clear why Glock came out with the MOS. I see where the G34/5 is now MOS. Might be just the ticket for Carry Optics division.

LOOT, Sherlock Glock and Kaw999 like this.
  5. norb5150

norb5150

They'll release the MOS in more models as they gain popularity. I don't own one but do like the concept. I have a red dot on an AR and love it. I shot a red dot Glock and it was sweet for very quick target acquisition in my opinion. For those who want to put a red dot on a non mos glock there is a plate you can buy to put in place of your rear sight https://www.strikeindustries.com/sh...ies/glocktm/glock-universal-optics-mount.html the link may not work because the leftist A hocs are overloading strike industries web site right now

6. Cracker007

Cracker007

I have two mos Glocks and both are wearing dual illuminated trijicon rmr red dots. I like the green triangle reticle because it gives a fine aiming point at the tip and a large triangle for hurry up and shoot. Have been looking at the new shield rms sight though. They now make a mini version that would be cool on a Glock 43.

LOOT likes this.
  7. Out West

Out West

19X RMR in black. I'll take one!

8. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

You can. Just get the slide milled. Just got back my G20SF from Jagerworks and could not be more pleased.

I've seen a number of G26s that were RMRd. A red dot makes a lot of sense on a short slide, solves the short sight radius issue with irons

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. billy b

billy b

i
    i have put several RMRs on different glocks using mount that goes into the rear sight dovetail. never once if properly installed did one come loose. this is a less expensive way to see if you like it. for me, I never put one on a carry gun. too slow in my opinion.

10. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I have noticed I am slightly faster on follow up shots at distance, but no faster at typical self-defense range.

I am still a little slower draw to first shot at self-defense range.

Accuracy at all ranges is greatly improved.

I have a JPoint on mine and the stock Glock sights. I think I'm going to put a set of Trijicon HD's on it. Maybe they will help me pick up the dot faster.

I'm about six months or so into this red dot experiment and so far I think it has a lot of promise, especially for those of us who are ocularly challenged.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

LOOT and Just_plinking like this.
  11. FLSlim

FLSlim

I've been running an RMR on my 19 MOS for about 3 months. I do like to shoot it and have been carrying it lately. I find that I have to be very deliberate in my presentation to be able to immediately see the red dot. The first shot tends to be a little slower than with iron sights (but then I've been shooting with irons for about 50 years), but follow-up shots and shots on different targets tend to be much quicker once the dot is acquired. All things considered, I like the RMR set-up but there is still work to be done to improve my use of it.

Another side benefit: as your eyes age, it is much easier to get a clear sight picture with the RMR (actually it is just seeing the target with the dot superimposed).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. The Father

The Father

After using both RMR and regular sights, I have determined I shoot just as bad with either. Traded off the Gen3 17 with RMR for new Gen 5 17. Now I can shoot bad with a Gen 5
    Using the point method of target acquisition, have a RMR to "aim" with kinda defeated the purpose. The getting older and having crappy eyesight RMR theory for me, thought it would work out, but pointing and shooting makes up for this. Do 90% of shooting inside 10 yards, so anyway, RMR didn't do the trick for me.

LOOT, MIckeyR, DavidEnt and 3 others like this.
  13. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC 0369

I have a milled G17 Gen4 with a Leupold Delta Point Pro 2.5 MOA Dot installed. A blessing for old eyes. With the milled slide the RMR sits lower in the slide and helps me pick up the dot more quickly than when mounted on an MOA Glock.

LOOT likes this.
  14. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

which mount did you use? I reached out to Glock and they told me that a) I cannot custom order a G23 or 32 with an MOS slide, and b) if I send my slide out for machining to accept an RMR it voids the warranty. I know I like the RMR, but it seems that Glock doesnt provide a means to do it properly for all of their available pistols. not that it makes so much sense on a subcompact that can be used as a pocket gun, but for the compact and full size frames, it makes a lot of sense.

LOOT likes this.
  15. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

http://blog.krtraining.com/red-dot-study-key-points/

Pretty good study on how use affects performance. Guy who did it was on the American Warrior Society Podcast 135.

I’ve had a couple, now down to one just because my current eye prescription setup that works best for everything else does not work well with dots on handguns. Also since I can’t carry one at work, going back and forth between systems seemed to cause me issues.

16. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Lots of good info and experiences in this thread.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Bewater likes this.
  17. billy b

billy b

there are 2 mounts that I know of. J point mount & burris makes one. I like the J point, its a little stronger.

18. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I like them. I have a Red dot on my G41 CCW and a Red/Green dot on my .22 Caliber target pistol. They are very easy to use on the range.

I also have suppressor sights on my G41 because the delay in turning on the Red to is too long to be comfortable to me in case of an emergency.

I continue to have it on the pistol for the case where I "might" have the time to turn it on. and range times.

I can't carry enough batteries to leave the sight on all the time.

19. davethehiker

davethehiker

You are preaching to the choir, we are behind you. See my Avatar. That's a Glock 29.

happie2shoot and Just_plinking like this.
  20. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

As a lot of comparisons may fall short because of comparing shooters with tons of iron sight experience and muscle memory to them trying out a relatively new to them red dot system.

It’s not self defense based, but I did think it was interesting comparing USPSA match scores of the very top limited and carry optics division winners.

It’s kind of complicated to describe the rules differences between these divisions but basically “limited” you get most of all the goodies except comps (mag wells, major scoring, weights ok, race holsters etc..) but NO red dots. Carry optics is far more limiting in what you can do to your gun, and you score “minor” power factor, but you can have a slide ride red dot. The match scores seem to show among the very best shooters in each division the scores are often very compareable.

Of course you could also look at open division (although those are mostly frame mounted dots). You can run a dot or irons, exactly 100% of top competitors chose to run a dot. :cool:

happyguy likes this.