Tried a berreta 92FS...wow, I couldn't shoot it..

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Unicron, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Unicron

Unicron Millennium Member

converted over to glock about a decade ago. and have only been shooting glocks other than a 1911.

I got to shoot a 92fs for the first time the other day. i consider myself to ]not be a horrible shot...but wow, i was all over the place. high center, low center, and to the right. it was a close target also; 5 yards or so.

anyhow; i was surprised how badly i shot with it. i dry fire all the time with my glocks. i have always thought the 92FS trigger was a long one...maybe i was slapping/jerking the tigger?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. rem2429

rem2429

I think they are hard to shoot myself. The balence is all wrong to me.

3. G31

G31 Millennium Member

You're too used to the Glock system. Nothing wrong with that, but I bet it's the problem. If you spent the better part of a decade shooting a 92FS, you would be dead on with it over the other stuff out there. It's all about trigger time and familiarization.

4. hk_shootr

hk_shootr NRA Life member

My wife shoots one ragged hole with an M9 or her 92fs.
    It's all about trigger time. :supergrin::supergrin:

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

It's the singer not the song. Learn how to shoot and then you don't need to worry about what gun you're shooting.

6. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

I love my 92FS. I have been shooting it since I was fourteen (got it back in 1998 for fourteenth birthday). Thought I'd never master the long DA pull. I've since put the D model mainspring in and noticed a change in the DA pull. Only thing I hated about my Beretta, I had to learn to shoot it using the ban 10rd magazines back in the day of the AWB... As soon as that lifted, I bought a dozen fifteen round mags. Has some heft to it too, compared to the Glock's I shoot now. I shot Beretta's solely until 2005 when I got the Glock bug. Used my 92FS in USPSA matches. My 92FS is now a relic to me. I won't part with it since it was my first gun ever. It goes out to play from time to time.

7. DaverZ

DaverZ

I used to have a Taurus PT92 which is pretty close to the Baretta that was reliable and a well made gun,but the trigger was awful.The PT92 had a long trigger pull and i was never sure when it was gonna break,as a result I never shot it well.If it's anything like the Barettas trigger pull I'd prolly be the same as you.It would be interesting to hear from someone who's done a side by side comparison.

8. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

I am not exactly a fan of the Beretta 92.
    I have one, hand have shot a couple competitions with the M9.

I find them to be pretty much POI at 25, but you really need a tight grip on them.
    They are a little snappy shooting one handed bullseye but not unmanageable.

Tighten your grip up and try again.

9. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

5 yards?

even trigger jerk shouldnt cause u to be all over the place at 5 yards.

Did anyone else shoot it?

10. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I have 5 of them, and one is my everyday concealed carry gun. Not every gun works for every person...

[​IMG]

11. 93GT

93GT The Ogre

I don't shoot one very well either. I managed expert this last time I qualified, but I could have shot in the black nearly every time with a Glock or 1911. Since I can't deploy with either of those, I guess I need to go buy an M9/92 and start practicing. The 200 rounds a year I am getting right now isn't cutting it.

12. gatorglockman

gatorglockman

Don't loose hope. The 92 is a kick butt pistol! Much like the Glock, the trigger may be something to be an acquired taste. Once done, it is a great shooter IMHO. Carried one in the US Army and would love to own one at some point.

13. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Now you know why the late Jeff Cooper railed so against the "crunchenticker" format (TDA).

Stick with it. Slow down. Dry fire. Thousands of times.

Glocks aren't for everybody. Neither are 1911's or wheelguns or even traditional DA pistols.

Good news was you were on paper at 5 yds so you know it'll work for SD if ever the need arises. Might not be ready for bullseye competition yet, but if you want to master it, you know you can.

They are great pistols. Maybe a tad big for the round... maybe.

14. AustinTx

AustinTx

I have thought that Beretta had finally designed a gun that showed what a really good pistol should look like. I thought that was the finest looking gun that I'd ever seen.

I have always liked the Taurus equivalent models better, though. The original Beretta design had the safety, on the frame. The US Army had it moved to the slide, for their use. I read somewhere that was so it could be used as a de-cocker. I don't think that's right, because the original Beretta 92 used the frame mounted safety, for a de-cocker.

15. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I carry a Glock. I also own a 92FS. I don't shoot it much, but i did last week and had no problem keeping rounds where they were supposed to be.

You need more practice.

16. Mungrol

Mungrol Wanabe Like RTN

It took me a while and still takes heaps of work to be accurate with the 92FS/M9. It just does not fit me well. Yet with a G19 or G23... it is very natural and easy to be accurate. It is all about what works for you. I have some friends that can't miss with the 92.

That is why I always say... find what works for you and stick with it.

17. Unicron

Unicron Millennium Member

my buddy and his buddy (owner of the 92FS) was shooting it fine. i am probably exaggerating about "all over the place". I just wasn't shooting a tight group.

that's right. A good mechanic doesn't blame his tools...heh.

18. sugerwater

sugerwater

My 2 9mm's G19 & 92fs Centurion (shorter barrel). The beretta is more accurate but not by much. If I could only have one, I'd keep the Glock.

19. oldnoob

oldnoob

There will not be a single gun model that will be able to fit every shooter in the world. You find your like and dislike, then move on from there.

I'm not a 92/M9 shooter neither.

20. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I wondered about that too.

The 92 is a great shooting pistol.