close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tree limb fell on my SUV

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SoBored20, Mar 21, 2010.

1. SoBored20

SoBored20

Short story with a question:

While helping a friend move, parked at his residence, a tree limb fell and crushed the roof of my Xterra. I have full coverage insurance, but should I call my insurance company or have the friend file the claim with his homeowners policy? I know its not his fault the limb fell, but I just wanted to follow the proper procedure. Any help from GNG?

2. paulbow

paulbow

3. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Call your insurance company and give them all of the information including your friends name address and telephone number. Also include your friends homeowner insurance info if he will give it to you.

Your insurance will process the claim and go after the homeowners insurance to recoup.

Option 2 would be to call your friends homeowners insurance carrier direct (if he will give you the info) and file a third party claim without involving your insurance. That way you won't have to pay your deductible until your insurance recovers it from the homeowners carrier.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  4. Lady Glock

Lady Glock

Most homeowner policies I've heard of only have a coverage to damage of other's property at $500, and usually does not cover wheeled vehicles.

Your auto would be covered under your comprehensive coverage as it would be considered an act of nature. I don't believe your friend would be liable for the damages unless it was a noticeably damaged and/or rotted tree.

Still, check with your agent and see what they suggest.

5. SoBored20

SoBored20

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics taken after limb and glass from sunroof removed. (homeowner does have those pics) Any idea on repair cost?

6. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm so sorry that happened my friend. I hope you can get your SUV better than new:angel:

7. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Hhmmm.... are you sure that's not from some of this year's Spring Break frivolities?

j/k! :tongueout: Good luck.

8. Lady Glock

Lady Glock

I have a dent in the side of my van that is about that size, the damages were estimated at $2500

9. RichJ

RichJ

Did you get any pics of the limb on the truck for the insurance co.? You will probably have to prove what happened.

10. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Not sure, and I've never filed a claim for falling tree limbs, but was told that if a tree limb comes down from a healthy tree due to wind, snow, ice, lighting, etc, the home owners will cover the damage. If the tree was dead, or the limb known to be a danger of dropping, then the homeowners won't cover it.

That's why I paid a couple grand last year to have one big pine tree that was pretty dodgy dropped and a couple more tall pines near the house limbed last year.

Hope your ride gets fixed, and just be glad it was the roof of the SUV that got took the hit, and not your noggin!:wow: That would have hurt!!

11. oogway

oogway

Unless the tree limb fell due to negligence (dead tree) or was intention of the owner, I don't believe the friend is liable. His homeowner insurance will decline your claim, check with your auto insurance.

12. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

You know you were bringing a fat chick home

13. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Just joking a fellow Nissan owner

14. SoBored20

SoBored20

Well you guys were right. My insurance company says unless its neglect (known dead tree) that I have to file a comp. claim. I got three estimates today that all range between $4,000 and $4,200. Thanks for the replies.

15. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

As long as you were not driving it then it is covere by comprehensive. I had that happen to me..not fun.

16. vart

vart

You will be responsible for the comp deductible, but it is usually lower than the collision deductible and it's a no-fault claim.

What action or inaction did your friend take that caused a tree limb to fall on your vehicle?

None? Then why try to make him and his insurance company pay for your damages?

17. gbambeck1

gbambeck1 Tinfoiler

That wont be easy to fix... That reeeeaaallly sucks.

18. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Minimum of 2000.00

19. SoBored20

SoBored20

As my first post stated, I know its not the friends fault. I simply asked a question to see if a typical homeowners policy covered this situation because I did not know.