Tree falls on neighbors house, wife buys new SUV, husband buys late model dually, house isn't fixed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LEO/Dad, Oct 28, 2015.

1. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

What the hell is happening to our society? Where is people's priorities? Our community suffered a severe windstorm/thunderstorm this summer. Wide spread city damage, sustained 70 mph winds. Contractors with a good reputation are booked with work. We have seen workers from out of state working from the pickup trucks. My neighbor had a very large tree fall across a corner of his house. Busted several 2 x 8's at the wall studs. Interior walls buckled. The underhang is exposed to the ambient. I asked the neighbor how he was going to get his house repaired, insurance etc. He said it was hard to get a contractor to look at the damage, and that he would probably just do the repair himself. It is now November, winter approaching, and two new vehicles showed up..........My wife tells me this is none of my business and I should just shut up.........It is pretty obvious that the neighbor has received a payout from their insurance, and their priorities were to spend the money on new vehicles, and we will get to the house repair when we can.......I wasn't raised like this, but this I guess is the mindset of a new society.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

This is why you let your insurance company handle things.

3. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Same same in the Ghetto. They drive a 40K SUV, with a 10K sound system that you could eat off of the floor. Yet they live in apartments that would turn your stomach just walking into them. Rats, feces, foul body odor are the norm.

TBO, cowboywannabe, kaisooba and 8 others like this.
  4. Bruce M

Bruce M

For more than a few people their auto is the priority. Locally we have one of these
    http://www.rentawheel.com/
    because you really have to be seen with cool wheels even if you cannot afford to pay cash for them and do not have credit.

TBO and PBCounty like this.
  5. PBCounty

PBCounty

Aren't you the guy who was worried about the truck keys the other day?

LEO/Dad likes this.
  6. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

Two years ago I had my roof replaced due to hail damage. They never gave me any money. It went straight to the contractor. I thought the days of trusting people with insurance money was long gone.

7. kiole

kiole

Be glad your neighbors don't deal drugs and or have a loud barking dog.

Maybe the insurance company is dragging their feet? Maybe they really can't find a contractor because everyone is booked. Maybe they happened to buy two new cars at the same time.

Or maybe they decided they don't care and would rather drive a nice car.

I was raised to mind my own business and not dwell on other peoples affairs. I think your wife has it right.

8. Rotn1

Rotn1

Sir,
    You don't know that.
    You assume that.
    Most insurance companies today won't issue the check without some proof of invoice or proof of repair.
    If you neighbors have a mortgage on their home then the bank will insist the money goes to repairs and protect their loan collateral.
    As well, after a big storm many contractors are booked up, hence the out of state folks coming in.
    There could be a backlog / lead time of many many months for things to get done
    It may not at all be as you think.

Gregg702 likes this.
  9. Resqu2

Resqu2

Yep even our hail damaged car check went straight to the dealer fixing it. Seems like the bank would have a major problem with the OP's story if they hold the mortgage on the damaged house.

10. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Your wife is right, mind your own business.

Edit: Not that I agree with them, they're dumbasses. Or maybe they're perfectly smart/sane people who inherited two new vehicles and are still waiting on the insurance to pay out before fixing their house. Either way, unless you have some kind of stake in the house being repaired, not your problem. Let it go.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  11. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

I think people mind other people's business to much . folks need to mind their own hen houses

cowboywannabe and kiole like this.
  12. kiole

kiole

I think it depends. I've had checks come straight to me and some straight to the repair company. Some in my name some in the lien holders name and some in the repair companies name. This is with vehicles and property with liens.

cowboywannabe likes this.
  13. kiole

kiole

If it was me I'd grab a few beers, a chop saw and some nails and offer to help.

cowboywannabe and droidfire like this.
  14. papershoot

papershoot

If it was me, I would try to do as much of the repair as I am capable of myself. I kind of enjoy working on my home, except for plumbing. I don't replace my ride until it is ready for the junk yard, or close to it. My wife gets the new cars. I have not bought one for myself in ~20 years.

15. Lazy R

Lazy R

Had a flood in my basement this spring, pipe busted in the wall. Insurance company cut check straight to me. Worked out well, I then paid a contractor for drying everything out and doing some plumbing, then I took it from there and took care of carpet-paint-trim work.

16. waawaaweenie

waawaaweenie

if their house is too cold or wet, they can live in their nice new vehicles

cowboywannabe likes this.
  17. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I think the majority here has summed it up........

18. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

I am an insurance guy

My theory

They're letting the house go, were behind before the incident, and with the like of payments they are using that to buy new rides.

I can't speak for other places but in California they make check payable to both insured/contractor AND lien holder in some cases.

How do you know it's their house?

What if they were long term squatters? and the property is banked owned, one of the thousands that has fallen threw the cracks.

What if the house title is in the name of a trust or will and in dispute?

Too many factors that could come into play for the insurance company not to pay out if in fact there was even an insurance company in the first place.

I would stay out of this one listen to your wife

19. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

Some of the advice is to not worry; it's none of your business. However, a certain amount of stuff like this in a neighborhood (homes getting run down) can affect your property value, so I can see your concern.

20. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Normal process on an insurance claim for replacement cost policy.
    Adjuster looks at the damage and determines the cost of fixing damages. He may work with a contractor to come up with the price.The estimate is depreciated by age and condition. This is the initial check (ACV payment) that is sent out. Likely around 60% of the total amount. Check is usually made out with the lien holder on it. The bank will hold onto the money and pay the contractor. Once the work is done the insurance company sends out the rest of the money (RCV payment).

If it is under a certain amount the insurance company may send out the full amount just to be done with it. There are variations on it works, but this is fairly standard.

The bank and the insurance company have a vested interest in seeing the work done, so they usually make it fairly difficult to use the money for something else.