Tree cutting question?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Feb 21, 2010.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I am sure we have some tree cutting guys on here but here is the question. At my family member's home there is a tree that has a large branch that broke during the first blizzard a couple of weeks ago. It is laying on the fence but still up twenty feet in the air. I was looking at the tree tonight and I noticed another large branch that has splits in the bark like it is a fat dude wearing a small shirt. :supergrin: Is this possibly a meaning that this other portion is going to break? There are about five splits in the bark in this one area and it is hanging over the garage. Thanks

2. slyoteboy

slyoteboy

Could I guess. Borrow a polesaw if you can , and just cut it up into little chunks. Or trim it back so if it does break , cause minimal damage.

3. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Can you post up some pictures? I'll tell you this though - cutting lodged trees and branches is about the most dangerous thing you can do. Assuming you're comfortable with a saw, you still have to watch out for the limb popping or barber chairing when you start a cut. Sometimes they go as soon as you touch the bark. I recommend you have a tree service come out and look at it, or you can wait til it lets go and hits the garage and your insurance will probably get it. If you do something and it falls, chances are you won't be covered. Usually if there's big wood hanging we'll bring a crane and pick it off. They can also be roped and what not, but I don't recommend doing this. For sure don't climb up with a ladder. Most people don't realize how incredibly easy it is to get hurt this way.

4. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Need to use the Pole Saw to get all the small branches then cut everything else in 3 foot increments to alleviate damage to fences and other structures. Pictures would be nice. We are trying to help because we all watched Bob Villa and we know everything. :supergrin: