close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Travelling to California for GSSF question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by The Box, Jul 1, 2012.

1. The Box

The Box

I am in AZ and for some reason there is only one GSSF event per year here. (and it's not even in Phoenix). If I travel to California to compete do I have to buy all new "low cap" mags? I don't want to show up with evil 15-rounders and get thrown into jail.

2. PM720

PM720

In theory you may run afoul of the "importation" ban on standard capacity mags here. In reality, you would need to be stopped and searched first. I don't think anyone is going to give you problems at the match. The consensus in the forums I have read has been no one has been prosecuted for possessing standard capacity mags alone. It was always an add on charge to another gun violation.

Now, the being said depending on what you are shooting I might have some extra 10 rounders for loan at Piru. :supergrin:

Scott

3. HexHead

HexHead

Simple answer, Don't.

4. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye

Pretty much what Scott said. Unless you owned them in Cali prior to the ban, than you cannot bring them into the state. Now, the burden of proof is with the state, but if you're a resident from another state, it might not be that hard to prove.

Your best bet is to either borrow some if you want to try a Cali match or make the investment if it's something you plan to do for years to come.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  5. humphreys19

humphreys19

Buying a hundred bucks or so worth of 10 round magazines sounds to me like a much better investment than lawyers and bail money. I live in Oregon, and if I want to venture south into the PRK, I will definitely only have ten round mags with me.

Tom

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There are a lot of States with no matches, so don't feel too bad. I live in Virginia, and there are none here or in Maryland or Delaware. I have to travel to PA, WV, OH, NC, SC or GA.