close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Traveling to Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by KK40384, Mar 31, 2010.

1. KK40384

KK40384

I'm leaving in the morning for an unexpected trip to Pennsylvania and I'm wondering if there's any carry laws specific to the state. I know they recognize my MI license. Due to lack of time I cannot research it as much as I'd like to. I will only be there for no more than 8 hrs and most of the time will be spent driving. Any info you guys can give me is appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. dgg9

dgg9

Read through this:

http://reference.pafoa.org/

ETA: I'm going from memory here, and it's all in those links, but: I think the main "gotcha" is that a long gun is not treated the same or defined the same as a "firearm." The bottom line is that you should not carry a loaded long gun in the vehicle....while, oddly enough, your CCW sidearm can be loaded. I might be remembering this wrong, though.

The other main takeaway is that you are not legally obliged to reveal your CCW status to a LEO upon a traffic stop, BUT as always use common sense in any police encounter: you're from out of state and the patrolman won't appreciate surprises in case you're made to exit the vehicle.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

3. KK40384

KK40384

That's the same here in MI with the long gun. I'm only taking a pistol with me so that won't be the issue.

Thanks for the link. It has some good info

4. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota

for the most part, stay out of courthouses and schools (and, of course, anywhere that carry is not allowed by federal law) and you will be good to go.

(the school thing is actually only a gray area, but being from out of state and, thus, having to come back for court dates, etc. it might be best for you to just avoid the issue.)

5. PlanForTheWorst

PlanForTheWorst

We'll watch over ya while you're here in PA!

6. WCrawford

WCrawford OC Zealot

Actually, PA law requires courthouses to have firearm lockups available. So carrying to a courthouse isn't a problem.

7. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

All the above is true, enjoy your trip!

8. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota

you are correct. however, not all courts actually do provide them (we sometimes have issues with the government not following its own laws here in PA). and some magistrate's don't have any security. so, you could carry into their courts without having to pass security and be breaking the law without realizing it.