Traveling Thru Illinois...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KentuckyPatriot, May 17, 2018.

1. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

For the love of a distant relative, my wife is dragging me to St. Louis from parts of Kentucky for a wedding. I know that if I stay in my vehicle during the travel thru Illinois I will be fine with regards to CCW reciprocity, BUT what about my typical carry ammo? Typically carry either Speer or HST JHP rounds. I would hate to change to FMJ but can obviously do that...if HP is a problem what about Critical Duty with the flex tip?

Thanks guys!

2. Jakestir

Jakestir

Ammo is fine. No state laws against them.

Joshhtn, janice6 and msu_grad_121 like this.

3. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

^^^agree

New Jersey is the only state I am aware of that has criminalized possession of JHP ammo.

Caver 60 and janice6 like this.
  4. powernoodle

powernoodle

Patriot - is it your understanding that you may possess a loaded weapon in your vehicle in Illinois if you have a KY CCW? That is my reading.

430 ILCS 66/40 (e): Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident: (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law; (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

Caver 60 and janice6 like this.
  5. allanh

allanh

Yes and if you exit your vehicle the weapon must stay in the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Caver 60 likes this.
  6. allanh

allanh

Luckily for some of us, LEOSA covers Ammo so it doesn't effect us.

wprebeck likes this.
  7. KentuckyPatriot

Yep...Last stop will be Evansville, IN to drain fluids, fill the tank, get munchies, and then non-stop to St. Louis. I hate that we have to live with a patchwork of CCW laws but at least I don't have to deal with CA, NJ, NY, and a couple other NE states!

Thanks for the input!

larry_minn and R_P_K_ like this.
  8. R_P_K_

R_P_K_

Yeah, just put in the console before you cross the border. You do not want to forget and just get out of your car while carrying. Very easy to do if you routinely carry. I would definitely have it back in the holster by the time got to
    St. Louis. Just saying.

9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I unload, case in trunk before crossing border. I also buy lunch first. The only thing I do in IL is use bathrooms. I refuse to spend a cent in that state. (With few execptions). Same for NJ, and NY

10. R_P_K_

R_P_K_

That's how I used to do it before the law changed. Now I just put it in the console or glovebox. Loaded and ready.

Caver 60 and allanh like this.
  11. allanh

allanh

This! Although he might want to keep it closer when traveling through East ST Louis.

Caver 60 likes this.
  12. BMyers

BMyers

It sounds like you are traveling through southern Illinois, which southern Illinois is much more gun friendly than northern Illinois. Like anything, there are a few pockets where you could get yourself in trouble, but for the most part southern Illinois officers and State Attorneys are not going out of their way to try to charge people with gun crimes unless you are doing something else stupid too.

If you have a CCW from your state, you are allowed to carry in your vehicle. There are ammo restrictions: Prohibited any metal piercing, dragon’s breath shotgun shell, bolo shell, flechette shell, or explosive bullet.

Yet, you can see from the list your self-defense ammo and pistol rounds as a whole are fine.

Your trip through East St. Louis will be a blur, because you will be on the interstate. Don't stop and gas up there, do that before or afterwards. Although, I haven't had any issues during the daytime there, out of towners do stand out there and not a place to drawer attention to yourself.

You are heading to St. Louis. Like any large city, there are areas you don't want to wander into. Downtown and the tourist areas are fine and most areas are fine during the day. If you like the night life, that is when things get rough. During the day, never had any problems in St. Louis.

Missouri has good gun laws, but realize that St. Louis is a large Democratic controlled city and they would like to have stricter laws, but haven't been able to succeed with that. Get outside of St. Louis you will see a few people open carrying, but most conceal carry.

Overall, St. Louis and southern Illinois are nice, laid back places, with a few no go zones.

PS-My wife and I both carry Federal HST rounds, no problem with law on those or Speer or Hornady.

isp2605 likes this.
  13. jmohme

jmohme

I check the laws for changes any time I go to that awful state.

I sure am glad that I move out of there!

14. KentuckyPatriot

Thanks!

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I did not know that had passed, was law inIL. Thanks. I normally avoid that state as much as possible. Constant law changes do concern me. Over decades I have been legal in some states, two yrs later I am not (to carry loaded firearm concealed). Then am...
    As I have never been questioned/noticed....but I try to follow law.
    I had one time I HAD to have been noticed by LEO. Hardee's near mental hospital. (Found out later resident on off campus pass) had seizure. Manager freaked out. On 911 "she's not breathing..." (It was rainng HARD. Part of reason I stopped). I took phone, told 911 "she is breathing just fine, it's a seizure, tell them to drive careful, likely no transport..."
    I had gal on floor, nothing close, kept those wanting to stick "something" in her mouth away..
    Well local Officer did not hear follow up. "Non emergency".
    So he is there, I am explaining, seizure ending.. My shirt gets pulled up me getting up, down. I am talking entire gun visible. (Back when CCWP in MN rare). EMS shows, I hand over pt care. They lose control. (Some people are not cooperative after seizures, maybe mental issues? I don't know)
    So I get her from Hardee's KITCHEN. (EMS refused to follow her past "Hardee's employees only sign"...)
    I KNEW he was going to ask about gun. I said "time for me to go, do you want me to close your trunk as I go past? He swears. He carried O2 in trunk, failed to close it, trunk soaked.
    He thanked me, I left. I figure he didn't want to ask incase I was not legal. If he never noticed... I fear for his safety.
    Odds of me needing gun while driving few thousand lbs of ar, truck is slim. While limping down sidewalk MUCH higher. Only in movies are drivers robbed while doing 70+ mph on interstate.

16. powernoodle

powernoodle

I made it in and out of Chicago without issue this weekend. Left my 442 in my vehicle (and I never leave a gun in a vehicle because its stupid and unsafe). Broke the 2.5" knife law by carrying a Victorinox multitool in my pocket. There are 1,000 car jackings in Chicago every year - three per day - but at least you cannot legally defend yourself. Paid about 6 tolls to get in and out of that stink hole. Even the armpit of America - Gary, Indiana - looked inviting on the way out of town.

17. isp2605

isp2605

As do millions of people around Chicago everyday without a problem. You are very unlikely to be traveling thru the areas of Chciago that make the news and where all the shootings occur.
    IL law does not have a restriction on knife length. That's another internet rumor that is not true.

18. as400guy1

as400guy1

Actually, I've lived in chicago since 2000. Haven't been shot, stabbed, robbed or carjacked.
    I avoid the tollways in my version of tilting at windmills.
    I think you are wrong about knife length, though.

19. KentuckyPatriot

I made it through both directions. Most fun I had was offering my leatherman at the reception dinner for a guest at the table to open a wrapped candy that he was struggling with for several minutes. Luckily for me he was not struggling with anything that needed shooting! :-D