close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Travel through Washington , D.C.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by terrythorsen, Feb 4, 2010.

1. terrythorsen

terrythorsen

I am going on a road trip that will lead me through D.C. Can I legally carry a pistol for protection I may car?

2. DonD

DonD

I don't know for sure but I doubt it. You had better be certain what their dysfunctional regulations are, that rotten city is definitely anti gun and you DON'T want the possibility of running afoul of them on a routine traffic stop. Don

3. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Only if you are OK with committing a felony.

4. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

I'm going to go with No.

I bet you can't even use the letters "G" "U" and "N" in the same sentence while in the District.

Look at the bright side though, at least their gun crime rates are really low because of their fabulous gun laws, right?

Right?

right?

5. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Ok, I spoke too soon. If you are LE then yes, you may carry... sometimes. And only if you say please.

6. terrythorsen

terrythorsen

So. What does a person have to do with his personal guns if he is in the military and gets stationed there?

7. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

I think you've just violated a rule about asking two different questions in the same thread...I'll bet you're in a heap of trouble now.:faint:
    Here's a tip...don't take guns into WDC.

8. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

No. The single strictest gun control in the country. You remember the question: Which US city has the highest murder per capita? Oh, right, D.C., the same city inwhich it is illegal to possess a firearm. Perfect.

9. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

You check with your post's, base's, etc. policy regarding personally owned firearms. I guarantee you there are policies on this that will answer your questions.

10. hogarth

hogarth

Ask Gilbert Arenas.

11. hogarth

hogarth

If you will only be on the Capital Beltway, I don't think any part of it goes through DC (I could be wrong....check a map). However, it won't matter, b/c in Maryland you cannot carry a loaded gun in your car unless you have a CC permit from MD....no reciprocity here.

12. 20South

20South

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. vafish

vafish

Depends upon which way you drive around the beltway. Technically the Woodrow Wilson Bridge is DC property. Other than that I see no reason for a road trip to take you through DC. There is no interstate that takes you through DC, you have to get off the interstate and take side streets though DC which is absolutely stupid if you just want to drive through the area and not stop in DC.

If you want to visit DC come and stay on the Virginia side of the Potomac and leave your gun in the hotel room when you go into DC.

14. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Let's just get this straight. It's a VERY BAD IDEA TO CARRY A LOADED GUN IN OR ANYWHERE CLOSE TO DC.

It just is. It's bad. This is why I will NEVER live in DC. And I work in DC.

And to answer the military question my brother was stationed at Quantico for a while (Marine officer) and before getting his VA CC permit, they had a nice discussion about how they'll be thrown into the sea if they even think about violating DC gun laws... which states that you can't so much as eat a cake that is in the shape of a gun.

15. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

The same thing you'd do if stationed at Fort Drum.....leave your guns at home, and once you get the permits for them, have them FFLed to ya........or do what I've heard some idiots do, and just keep them at their house without a permit for them. :faint:

16. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member Silver Member

NONRESIDENTS
    Nonresidents are prohibited (subject to the recreational
    activity exception) from carrying or possessing a firearm
    while traveling through the District unless the gun has been
    registered with the Metropolitan Police.
    NOTE: As a practical matter, the police have advised that
    they will not interfere with nonresidents passing through
    the District with a firearm, providing the person does not
    stop, and the firearm

17. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

DC rules:
    1.10 sq. mi. of concrete surrounded by reality.
    2.Honest citizen with gun inside zone = felon.
    3.Felon can be elected mayor in zone.
    :supergrin::supergrin:

18. vafish

vafish

Military stationed in DC would be treated like a DC resident. DC residents can register and possess firearms.

But in my experience most military people in the area are not stationed in DC, they are stationed at the Pentagon, Ft. Meyer, Andrews AFB, Quantico MCB, Ft. Belvior. Actually stationed in DC would be the Navy Yard, Bolling AFB, or Anacostia Naval Station.

19. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Not true...spur interstate routes I-295 and I-395 both go through DC. When traveling between Maryland and Virginia...GPSs will frequently direct drivers through DC on I-295 or I-395.

20. vafish

vafish

I395 goes into DC and stops just past Pennsylvania Avenue. It does not go through DC.

I295 turns into the Anacostia freeway (DC Highway 295) and later into the Baltimore Washington Parkway. It is not a through interstate.

GPS receivers often do stupid things, I had one tell me that the fastest way to get from Fairfax to Annapolis was to take Rt 50 through the middle of DC instead of going around the beltway.

Anyhow you don't want to drive "Through" DC if you are on a road trip. It is much faster to go around DC.

And none of this argument changes the answer to the OP.

You cannot carry a pistol in your car for self defense while driving through DC unless you are a law enforcment officer. You can't keep a pistol in your car for self defense while driving through Maryland unless you have a Maryland Concealed Weapons Permit which are very difficult to get, or are a law enforcement officer.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010