Trauma kit

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Stevethebutcher, Feb 2, 2019.

1. G29guy06

G29guy06

I buy the $15 ish kits at Walmart for the case it comes in lol. Seriously I do. Most of the kit is useless fluff to me but I do use the carry case

2. G29guy06

G29guy06

Super glue! I forgot super glue.

Saran Wrap is also good as a bulk item but not in a carry kit.

3. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Man if your really worried about this then you need education. I suggest a EMT course. Your kits for the city are really different then being in the rural areas. Access to Emergency medical transport is your big clue. The further out the better your kit needs to be.
    In town I pack a CPR mask, set of 4X4's, 2 ABD's, 4 inch Ace wrap, and 3 inch tape, and a small plastic sandwich bag.
    Back packing is a different story, especially while hunting.

Paul53 likes this.
  4. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

Sounds like what I have in my kit. I would add latex/nitrile gloves and bandage wraps. I know the op asked for trauma stuff but I also add liquid skin or Krazy glue for the small ouchies.

MAGA 93 likes this.
  5. G29guy06

G29guy06

If we’re talking about rural and remote areas skip the regular EMT course that centers around care in a climate controlled environment. Also it’s an expensive 4yr cert to maintain on your own. WFR course or AWFA as I previously mentioned is almost just as good and much more useful when 911 isn’t down the street or there at all.

6. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

[​IMG]

i stow various sized olaes bandages in all my edc/range bags along side couple pairs of nitrile gloves. not much involved with their use and that's about the limit of my comfort level. always have a few large, laundered car drying towels in trunk as well.

7. G29guy06

G29guy06

Why gloves?

You don’t need them for yourself, or family...

8. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

the guy is not asking how to perform surgery, he asking about basic items to deal with serious cuts, punctures or gunshot wounds. Why not simply answer the question regarding what you are using. If the attitude of this forum is going to be one of "get some training and you wont have to ask".. there really wouldn't be a purpose for GT at all.

I think most people can figure out how to use a compression bandage or gauze, CATs or wound closure strips. Sure, training is a great idea but I would rather someone have a NAR compression bandage, a tourniquet from ITStactical and some 3M wound closure strips which forum members have vouched for as opposed to them using some off the wall items that may or may not work well.

I get my stuff from adventure medical, dark angel medical and ITStactical. I like 3M closures (large), north American rescue bandages and Israeli bandages. I don't fool around with quit clot, that's just me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Stevethebutcher likes this.
  10. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

lord, one of them in every thread...

Paul53, FireForged and MAGA 93 like this.
  11. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Well, crisis is rarely convenient and the kit you carry may actually be used by a stranger who is willing to help... YOU. By the same token, YOU.. may use your kit to help a stranger.

Sometime you cant reach the injury that needs tending and you don't always have your family with you. I can tell you that I sure aint gonna volunteer to get myself bloody to bandage up someone other than close friends and family. Give me access to a pair of gloves and I am much more willing to help.. at least to some degree anyway.

It just makes alot of sense to have some good gloves, they don't weigh anything.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  12. G29guy06

G29guy06

Go back and re read all my posts on this thread. That is not my attitude, however I did kindly address that the question indicates a lack of training and no amt of supplies can replace knowing what to do. And I gave an bag stock list as well as where to get training and what kind.

Thanks though. Wrong tree to bark up

happie2shoot likes this.
  13. G29guy06

G29guy06

Eh, I was just egging you into the “to help others” statement considering the a significant # of people on this forum say that their firearm is to protect themselves not others...

Although I don’t recall you specifically having said that. It was more for the benefit of the class than you specifically

14. G29guy06

G29guy06

Wow, your passion and sense of importance is impressive.

I did not ask you that question and I doubt you have a mind meld w/ nosuchagency

15. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

Wrong, just wrong. If your going to have a FAK, gloves don’t add weight or take up space. Spend the day in the bush or on the range and see how dirty your hands are, and then you want to stick them inside an open wound? Remember this thread is about trauma, not cuts and bruises. Five minutes ago you were probably scratching your arse, your arm pits or picking your nose. We all do it, it’s just the facts, not trying to single you out. Pack the gloves and a couple pair while your at it.

G19Cfan, pblanc and kiser64 like this.
  16. jp 19

jp 19

:goodpost:

megawatt likes this.
  17. G29guy06

G29guy06

And that’s awesomely ok!

If you survive a significant penetrating trauma you’ll be on heavy antibiotics for 2-4wks anyways...

Now tell me how to make a needle Crich out of IV tubing or how to use an ETT tube as a chest tube, or why Saran Wrap would be good in a bulk med kit (hint it has to do w/ fluid shift in interstitial spaces)...maybe why hypothermic treatment may be beneficial for spine trauma but not for someone who’s hemodynamically compromised.

Ok then. I’m just a keyboard commando.

But my mention on gloves was about 2 things:
    1) if you aren’t my friend and esp if you shot yourself on accident- I’m not treating you

2) many on here say they won’t pull their gun to protect a stranger but they’ll play combat medic at a range...

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Still a good idea. Gloves aren't just to protect the responder, they protect the patient from crap that may be on the responder's hands. To pack a deep wound you are literally putting your fingers inches deep into their body. Just because they will be on antibiotics anyway doesn't mean you need to carelessly introduce more potential bugs into them. Besides, it will be a lot easier to clean yourself up after the fact. And as others pointed out, your kit may be used on YOU by a stranger. Tell us you're ok with some random person sticking their fingers four inches into your calf without gloves.

Of all the things in your kit gloves take up the least amount of space and weight by far and basically cost nothing. There are literally zero reasons to NOT have them. What you're saying is you're perfectly fine with ignoring basic medical hygiene when operating on your family members. That is pretty incredible.

megawatt likes this.
  19. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

20. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Wow. Ok. Yeah let them bleed out from the femoral artery huh? So you wouldn't even go to the trouble of applying a tourniquet?

What does "friend" have to do with it? You don't think a friend will not sue you if you screw up? If it's a disease exposure thing, how do you know their complete medical status? Or they, yours?

megawatt likes this.