Trauma kit

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Stevethebutcher, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Stevethebutcher

Stevethebutcher

Does anyone have suggestions for a first aid kit for trauma? Looking for a kit for my range bag/bug out kit/hunting oack. Looking for something to deal with extreme blood loss from either deep lacerations/ puncture wounds to gun shot wounds? What's every one using? I've been looking up first aid kits not finding anything of high quality. Just mostly band aids and gauze etc. I'm fine with piecing to geter a kit I just need help with item ideas. Thanx innadvance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

I bought a Cabelas branded tackle binder and loaded it up with some things. It has clear plastic ziploc type inserts that keep things organized. Loaded several Z-pac dressings and a Cat7 tourniquet along with some general first aid items.

The tackle binder is nice because it's much cheaper than anything labeled First Aid and also more rugged. It fits in my backpack which I tend to take with me out and about. I throw it in the range bag when I go shooting.

G30 Medic and Stevethebutcher like this.

3. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

20180618_120602.jpg

Disregard the quick clot powder. It's been replaced by extra Z-pak dressings since I took the photo.

Stevethebutcher likes this.
  4. ottomatic

ottomatic

OK kit, but it needs a tourniquet to be a complete trauma kit.
    They are neither expensive or large.

5. Monkeybomb

Monkeybomb Resident Misantrope

Buy a Cat TQ, a Chest seal. (I like the HALO seals), A Z-pack dressing with clotting agent, A good pressure bandage and that will cover most everything. Maybe a Nasopharyngeal tube if you want. Put them into something you will carry and keep close.

Get some training and make sure you know how and when to use them.

jmohme, JimP, Redeemed and 4 others like this.
  6. MAGA 93

MAGA 93

Tourniquet, sheers, Israeli bandage (pressure bandage), compressed gauze, chest seal (2 pack 1 for enrey, 1 for exit) compressed rolled gauze, black perm marker, airway tube. CPR Mask, Clotting agent (some gauze already has this however I still like the powder)

Can anyone think of anything else to put in an IFAC

7. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

I agree. Description in the first post has that covered. I keep one with the kit and one on my duty belt. There's another one in the car.

G30 Medic and Stevethebutcher like this.
  8. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

Just get a basic kit on Amazon - Clotting pads, lots of compresses, gauze, tape, scissors...

[​IMG]

9. G29guy06

G29guy06

If you want to waste money buy a first aid kit.

If you want only effective items on hand stock your own. I can give you a list in a bit. But, training and knowledge are far better than most supplies.

10. G29guy06

G29guy06

Scrap the chest seal (they don’t stock worth a damn on sweaty or bloody chests and usually expire before someone needs one)

Define airway tube? I suspect you are referring to an NPA

slamdunc likes this.
  11. Monkeybomb

Monkeybomb Resident Misantrope

The HALO seals work very well over a lot of blood. They are super gooey, bigger than most plus they are sold in pairs. But you are very correct about expiration on seals.

MAGA 93 likes this.
  12. MAGA 93

MAGA 93

NPA.

13. Stevethebutcher

Stevethebutcher

Yes, I agree training, training, and more training. I would like to avoid a basic first aid kit as previously stated since they contain a lot of nonessential items. So far for my list I have..

Cat Tourniquet
    Compression bandages
    Quick clot pads
    Israeli bandge (if avail)
    Gauze
    Gloves
    Sheers
    Tape

If you could share you list it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

G30 Medic and MAGA 93 like this.
  14. Grouse

Grouse

For truly life threatening trauma I'd stick with 5"x 9" combination dressings, 5" elastic wrap (for pressure dressings), 3" "medical tape", some form of airtight dressings for chest and neck wounds and a tourniquet. Your priorities are to stop severe bleeding and seal chest and neck wounds. Having some training is great but also having a plan to get help and knowing how to move on your own if necessary is critical. Tourniquets came back into favor after combat experience over the last couple of decades. In the civilian world they're probably overused but still good to have. I've used a tourniquet only once and it made all the difference. Penetrating chest wounds with a pnemothorax (collapsed lung) should be sealed with an airtight dressing. Trauma patients must be transported rapidly to an appropriate facility. Even EMS crews can sometimes forget this basic understanding.

pblanc and G29guy06 like this.
  15. G29guy06

G29guy06

Ok so what you take to the range should prob be different than out in the woods or “bug out” situation. My immediate trauma kit is cargo pocket sized or quart ziplock sized. And a ziplock and duct tape work great as a chest seal also. Here’s a basic list I’m sure i’ll Forget something. And In Case anyone is wondering I also carry decompression needles and hemostats and a suture kit...

Gloves- very optional. I only treat people I like and if I like you then I probably don’t need gloves...also gortex gloves protect you from fluids, it’s the whole waterproof thing

Trauma shears x2. They cut about anything and are also great for cutting thorns that get stuck to your clothes

Duct tape- small roll or flat packed

Athletic tape 2”- EMS tape is good too but if you don’t have access athletic tape works

TQ it Swat-T- if you’re gonna carry either then carry 2. SWAT-T can be used as a pressure bandage instead of a TQ also. I like having 2in1

Rolled gauze- 2ea of 2” and 4”. This is for packing wounds NOT securing gauze pads or sprints. 2” gauze is good for packing smaller sized wounds.

Consider ace wrap- if you’re going to have then get 2ea of 4” and 6”. If you need to splint something use ace wrap to secure the extra compression is probably helpful, also use to make a pressure dressing.

5x9 combine pads (also called surgical pads)- 5-10. The large trauma pads are about useless as they tend to go bad before used. If you need to cover a larger area use more pads

4x4 gauze pads and 2x2 gauze pads- 5-10 ea

Quick clot agent of some sort, if it’s impregnated gauze pad then at least 5. The powder form burns more as it’s thermogenic but gets into small holes better.

Alcohol prep pads clean wounds well and are good firestarters

Povodine pads also clean well and you can add a pad to 1L of water for sterile water to clean wounds with

Butterfly strips- about 20

NPA’s I’m not really a fan of. They are also contraindicated in head trauma, so...

Considerations:

All weather blanket x2- keep trauma Pt’s warm and also hypothermic Pt’s and works as a shelter

A couple quart or sandwich sized ziplocks- make your own chest seal, or pop a small hole on the corner of one filled w/ water to irrigate (flush) wounds

SAM splints x2. I love them and they can double as a frame support for an ultralight pack. I keep those in my bag not my cargo pocket ;)

If someone is asking the question of what should be in their aid kit then I would recommend taking an Advanced Wilderness First Aid course or Wilderness First Responder. It’s in depth much more than a regular first aid class and also teaches you how to improvise your own gear. Solo Schools is recommended and NOLS is good too

glock_collector and mac66 like this.
  16. G29guy06

G29guy06

:agree:

I’d be in love after that post if I didn’t like women ;)

17. Bird76Mojo

Bird76Mojo

The Red Cross website sells some nice kits that one can add to as you figure out what you need. I enrolled in an adult/pediatric first aid, cpr, aed class and it was a requirement to purchase one. I bought one for around $30 that was very comprehensive, and I've added to it ever since. Always stays behind the seat of my truck in a nice Red Cross zip-up pouch.

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Watch Skinny Medic’s videos on YouTube.

I recently put together my own kit. I’ll post the Links later, most are from Amazon but Skinny Medic has his own site as well.

I bought an extra pressure bandage to practice with. They are not that easy to self apply to your arm, even when you are not bleeding all over and in pain.

Cheap $20 first aid kits are not trauma kits. There’s probably not one item common to both except gauze.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  19. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Training. Then you won't have to ask. No since having things you can't use.
    You'll have to put it together yourself.

20. G29guy06

G29guy06

A couple of us mentioned that. It doesn’t do any good to have equipment that you don’t know how to use- although if the world melts down you may make an acquaintance w/ someone who does know how to use it.

But as with anything the more in depth and hands on knowledge you have of any topic the more you can by w/ less and create a work around. Ask the Dr you did a chest tube on an intl flight w/ a urinary catheter and a coat hanger

Paul53 likes this.