Trap Shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by HollowHead, Aug 8, 2015.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I've really taken a shining to shooting trap and would like to move on to an over/under no more than $2K. Suggestions? Thanks, HH

2. Wishoot

Wishoot

I'm more of a sporting clays guy, where you can use the same shotgun used for birds with good results. I'll typically use my Winchester SX2 or Lanber O/U.

IMO, it's like any other shooting sport. Find a gun that fit's you like a glove and can accurately throw lead downrange. Unfortunately (or fortunately), there's plenty of shotguns out there that may (or may not) fit the bill.

Never got into trap, but it seems that Remington 1100 and 1187 Premier Trap models are popular options.

Frankly, there's a lot of guys that seem to favor a good ole' Wingmaster Classic Trap too.

Too many O/U's to think about.

Head over to Shotgun World forums. You'll find a ton of useful information and opinions there.

3. CBennett

CBennett

I also have a Lanber but watch it..they are still out there selling NOW..they ARE A GOOD GUN..BUT the factory went belly up so your risking no support and possibly no parts availability. their O/U are real nice but same deal....your gonna get a real good gun cheap but once it starts needing parts..your probably out of luck. I have a 1100 id use for trap..and heck if your really liking it THAT much and want to really get into it at your price point you can actually get into a dedicated trap gun that would be great.

Wishoot likes this.
  4. Wishoot

Wishoot

Didn't know Lanber was in trouble. That's okay. I bought mine back when CDNN was blowing them out about 10-12 years ago or something like that. I think I paid $300 for it and have shot the living daylights out of it ever since. The only thing to break was the front sight which was easily fixed with a drop of loctite.

Lanber is certainly not the best out there, but I got my $300 worth of shooting out of it (and it's still going strong). If I were in the market for an O/U today, I'd probably pick up a field-grade Citori.

CBennett likes this.
  5. CBennett

CBennett

Thats when and where I got mine also I got the semi auto it wont cycle light loads but makes a flawless duck/bird hunting gun 100% function with hunting loads. Their o/u were really nice too! I think they went belly up,4 or more years ago now.

Wishoot likes this.
  6. Wishoot

Wishoot

Just for giggles, I went to Gun Broker to see if any Lanbers were available there.

HOLY COW! The asking price on these listings is just stupid. You could easily pick up a nice used Browning or Beretta O/U for the same price or less.

7. cab980002

cab980002

If you must have an O/U then there are two options for a new gun that will work for you. The Browning Crossover Target or the SKB 90TSS Trap. Both are nice guns the Browning is typical Browning quality with standard stock. The SKB 90TSS (my son shoots one of these) is great quality also and can be bought for the same price range as the Browning but comes with a fully adjustable comb and stock, so will be a lot more flexible for other shooting sports if you desire.

8. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Winchester Model 101 can be a sweet shooting trap gun. I really enjoy shooting my under-single.

[​IMG]

Here is a nice combo (34" Over-single trap plus 30" O/U field) Model 101 also in Diamond grade. I think these are some of the nicest shotguns around in your price range.

[​IMG]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=499774505

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Tuscany and CBennett like this.
  9. CBennett

CBennett

If I were getting one to just do trap thats the one id get,,,awesome gun.

10. IowaLefty

IowaLefty

SKB has 90TSS that is nice and under $2000.

11. Dave514

Dave514

I don't know anyone who uses an O/U if they are just shooting trap.

Trap guns are a special tool.

Valmet likes this.
  12. SRS

SRS

I shoot sporting clays and very rarely trap, but if you want an o/u, I suggest Browning or Beretta. You can get either for under $2k if you don't want aesthetic enhancements, and both will last a lifetime with a little care. My Browning Citori 525 has over 50,000 rounds through it and still functions flawlessly.

13. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

For a dedicated trap gun, you don't need an O/U as Dave said. If want a dedicated trap gun at a reasonable price I'd suggest a Remington 870 Classic Trap (try and buy like-new/used, I wouldn't buy anything new from a Remington right now), or a Browning BT-99. They aren't O/Us exactly but they're solid guns for Trap.

14. woolieworm

woolieworm

Shot an SKB for many years, no problems. Don't know if they even make them any more. That was about 20 years ago, but I remember they didn't cost a lot.

15. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Other have mentioned it, Browning Citori. Your money will go farther in the used gun market. Nobody ever wore out a O/U

16. Tuscany

Tuscany

I shot trap for years and years and loved it. As other have mentioned, Browning, Beretta, SKB and other well known brands are reliable. Lots of used trap guns out there and some, but not all, are priced reasonably. Used is a good way to start with a trap gun. Some people treat them poorly but it's usually only the finish that suffers. Even professional shooters seldom actually wear out a trap gun.

Unless you are dead set on an over/under (my favorite type shotgun by far) then it is hard to beat a Browning BT-99 single barrel trap gun, new or used. It is good for only one thing and that is crushing clay targets. At that job it is hard to beat a BT-99 if you are only going to shoot singles. However, if you even think you might shoot doubles down the road sometime then an over/under is the way to go.

Unlike another poster, I know lots and lots and lots of people who use over/unders solely for shooting trap. Although I haven't been active in the last couple of years, without doubt the over/under is the dominate type shotgun used for trap in my area and anywhere else I have shot. It has handling and balance characteristics that only a single barrel trap gun can equal.

Gas operated autoloaders are nice and soft shooting and Browning, Beretta and others have specialty clay target autoloaders. They can be annoying in that you have to have a shell catcher to capture the empty or pick them up off the ground after they are ejected from the gun. Some clubs and/or events do not allow this practice and some shooters dislike shooting next to an autoloader which ejects empties in their direction. There are those trapshooters, especially the very competitive ones, who can be a little grumpy about such things.

Good luck with your shotgun choice and in your trap shooting. I love my handguns and rifles, but the clay target shooting games have always been by far the most fun for me and many tens of thousands of others. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the decades.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  17. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I don't shoot trap, but my wife's Citroi (can't remember the model) is an absolute dream to shoot.

18. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

A good O/U dedicated trap gun can easily be had for under $2,000

Look at the for sale section on trapshooters.com

You should be able to pick up a lightly used Beretta 682 in that range easy.