close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

transporting meat and head

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by sp3worker, Aug 26, 2004.

1. sp3worker

sp3worker chief wahoo

Any recomendations on bringing back meat and a head from an antelope from New Mexico to Indiana? I am flying, I have to go from Albuquerque to Dallas to Cincinatti to Fort Wayne, so it is kind of a long flight. I am worried about meat spoilage.

2. tree house

tree house

i've done it a few times with no problems.... get one or more good coleman coolers...as large as you need. buy these at a walmart when you are out there or pack your clothes and gear in them on the way out. if you are going to get the animal butchered out there that is best. have your outfitter or the butcher freeze the meat if possible before you leave. it not just quarter the animal. either way, meat in ziplocs. then wrap in lots of newspaper and pack on a block of dry ice. ask your outfitter where to buy the dry ice. this is key. meat in bags. wrapped in heavy newspaper. on dry ice. duct tape all around the coolers. this will keep cold and/or frozen hard for 48 hrs. The airline only will let you check 2 bags. So you might have to pay to check the extra cooler. If so it will be less than 100$. Good luck. have fun.