Transitions: Photochromic Lenses

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by metrogruntual, Oct 24, 2010.

1. metrogruntual

metrogruntual o__O

I carry prescription sun glasses as well as regular ones, but am thinking about getting a pair of these.

Is Transitions the only game in town or are there other Photochromic Lenses available.

Do you know of any specifically marketed as eye protection/shooting glasses?

:dunno:

2. Mr. Gekko

Mr. Gekko

I thought about them when I had enough of contacts, but I did not get them becuase they are slower to adapt in warmer weather and do not get as dark as regular Rx sunglasses.

I thought my decision to stay with seperate eye/sunglasses was good when I broke my eyeglasses one day. At least I had something that I could use until the other was replaced.

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

My boss has some, loves them.

4. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

My GF says that the transitions suck in a car due to the tinting of the windows, they never darken up.

5. metrogruntual

metrogruntual o__O

while i don't know the brand/specifics

i recall a friend of mine always seeming to have

them in between grey

never clear, never dark...

o.0

6. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Transitions lenses:

At temperatures above about 85 degrees F or so they are slow to darken, and they don't get very dark.

At cooler temperatures they darken very quickly and become much darker, but then when you go indoors they require several minutes to lighten.

In the car they don't darken much at all, because the response is to ultraviolet light, which is mostly blocked by the car's windshield and windows.

I had to buy a pair of prescription sunglasses for those reasons, so I don't know if I will purchase the Transitions lenses in the future.

7. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

I tried my first photochromic glasses back in the 1980s. Sadly, the technology has hardly improved since, so a few years ago I gave up. Photochromic lenses are not a match for real sunglasses. Wake me up when they can be as good as these:

[​IMG]

8. npatel

npatel

Both my parents have them for their current pairs of glasses, and probably won't get them again. They never seem to get dark enough for them to be comfortable in bright sunlight, and stay too dark inside for a few minutes. Even with transitions lenses, they end up wearing those goofy-looking sunglasses that go over normal glasses when they step out of the house.

If you do get them, go for gray over brown -- the gray gets slightly darker. My dad ended up paying for his expensive glasses twice because the brown stayed really light.

9. userfriendly

userfriendly

Been using transitions for 4 years. Love them!

They are not as dark as regular sunglasses but they do the job. They dont darken inside cars though. I have used them in the beach a lot and they are good enough for me.

I get migranes when its too bright. The migranes have lessened a lot since I got my transitions.

10. kcramer

kcramer

Don't waste your money. I did once and they definately weren't worth it. My main gripe was they don't work in a car...and nonone bothered to tell me that before I spent the coin.

11. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

HATE them.

They get darkest in overcast weather, and not dark enough in bright sunlight.

I have recently (the last 3 years) gone to the type of glasses that have the magnetic "clip on" sunglasses. I absolutely LOVE them. Don't have to keep swapping between sunglasses and regular glasses. Not hard to keep track of a small case either.

12. farscott

farscott

For driving, you may wish to try Drivewear, a coating offered by the same manufacturer of Transitions that is specifically meant for driving. These lenses always have some tint, are polarized, and respond within the vehicle.