close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Transferring XP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aspartz, Jan 24, 2007.

1. aspartz

aspartz

I have decided that I need XP Pro on my desktop rather than the XP Home that I purchased. I would like to purchase a LEGAL copy of Pro to install om my computer and transfer this LEGAL version of Home to the computer I'm building for a family member. I've seen online that you can call M$ and tell them what;s going on and they will give you a new activation code. Is this true? The next hitch is that this is an OEM version of XP -- I build all of my own systems.

ARS

2. Toyman

Toyman

I think the OEM version of XP is suppose to stay with the Machine, but I'm not completely sure. If you have the number, call MS and ask. I've heard that it's relatively painless.

3. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Surprisingly often, you can just install the software, ask it to validate, and it will do so without difficulty...

I just did this with two windows installs of OEM software - mighty surprised this worked smoothly and without hassle.

4. lens

lens

Legally the OEM software is married to the machine it is first installed on and is never supposed to be transferred to another machine. That's in the Licensing Agreement (EULA).

Also unless you buy another OEM copy of XP Pro, you will likely buy the upgrade version of XP Pro and that will be based on the underlying XP Home (OEM) License, so it can't be used twice.

This is a case where what you "can do" physically and what you "can do" legally are often two distinct things.

5. malkore

malkore

and if they are not the same brand of machine, like one's a Dell and the other's an HP or something, then that OEM license is likely not gonna even work properly.

6. aspartz

aspartz

In my case, I built both systems so this should not be an issue.

ARS