Glock Talk banner

Are you prepared for an in-home invasion in your home?

• YES. Too bad for the perp(s)

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • NO. But I should get myself ready

Votes: 4 12.5%
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
"You don't get what you don't ask for."
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I suggest that residential video cameras be placed on the exterior of the home. There are two key reasons for this. First, exterior cameras should be positioned to observe all potential entry and approach points for the home. This insures that anyone approaching and/or entering/exiting the house are recorded. Secondly, the obvious presence of cameras is a key deterrent. The repeat burglar/ home invader sees hundreds of homes without obvious security countermeasures versus the comparative few with them. For any rational criminal, moving on to one of the majority of homes without obvious security devices is an easy decision.

I personally do not want to be under surveillance inside my own home. I want security without invading my own privacy.

Lastly, it is important to find a balance between focusing on securing your home and family and focusing on living the lives we are protecting. God's speed.

Sound advice about camera positioning, recordings, and privacy. Thanks!

I hope this post didn't make it appear that I'm freaked out in my own home because that's not the case. I was freaked out when the door chime went off but I sleep like a baby even now. Additional measures will be taken with landscaping if the weather cooperates soon, and cameras will be going up soon as well.

Meanwhile, I've bought a biometric gun safe to start positioning hidden firearms throughout the house. Experimenting with a Sentry biometric safe that got a lot of good reviews online. If I like it, I'll be ordering a few more.

Can't wait for warmer weather. In a few weeks, we'll be opening our pool. So much for concealment! :)

·
"Cynical Little me"
7,171 Posts
I like the idea of "hardening defenses" as well as building a "defense in depth". You first objective should be to gather the family in a defendable location. If you have to move then of course you move to your kids/youngest kids.

I cant stress enough what an edge having a dog gives you. In 33 years of being a cop in a very busy place Ive only heard of one home invasion/burglary that had a dog in it and that was a little foo-foo dog the burglars shushed into a closet. Try and "shush" my GSD and he's going to take a bite out of your azz like an alligator. That animal simply lives in a sensory world we can only guess at. I know they can be a pain in the butt but nothing beats a good dog.

Make sure you give accurate to the point info to the 911 call taker. Keep in mind that call taker is probably inputting info into the system to send to the dispatcher who actually sends the cars. I would start it off like "We have a home invader breaking into the street level rear of our house at 999 oak.". That way if the actual dispatcher is close by the call taker can wave and get cars rolling to you while she's getting more information. I dont know, depending on your system the call taker might be the dispatcher too but make that first sentence precise and short.

You'll be asked where you are. Tell them and then dont move unless its life or death. This is assuming you have a wife and kids to protect. If you dont maybe your more comfortable being the hunter. Hey, its your house. But theres a real danger of a friendly fire situation happening. You might want to tell the call take you have your Barney the Dinosaur pajamas on so the cops recognize you.

Boy Ive seen some scary ones even during daytime. In fact the worse have always been during daytime. One was a son who kicked Moms rear door in and then cause she would give him drug money he strangled Mom and then caved her head in for good measure. She was 76yo.

The last one I made a pinch in was 2 offenders who broke into a condo in the middle of the day while the new owners, 1 male/1 female, were rehabbing. The girl got one scream off before they forced the both on the ground at gun point and forced her to strip all the way naked. They were going to rape her and then execute the both of them. Luckily a neighbor heard the scream and we got there right before the rape. Those two will not see the sun again for a long time. Another crew only did daytimes, kicking in rear doors and forcing occupants to tell them where all the good stuff was.

These things are no joke. Its good to plan ahead, I know I do. A home defense plan is very important.

·
These are Great Times for Gun Owners!
707 Posts
I would second a dog. I swear my dog can hear a rabbit creeping in the front yard from inside the house. A breakin is going to be followed by barking that will wake the dead.
We have a big "scary" pit bull. He doesn't wake up for anything that isn't the word "treat" and doesn't bark unless we're ignoring him. Our best hope for him is that he happens to be awake, and he distracts the intruder by greeting him like he does all other people—by ramming his giant head into their shins. Usually follows that up with a foot stomp (he's 80 pounds). Hopefully that'll get a noisy reaction outta the BG(s). Otherwise my wife and I are depending on our own wits. I'm not even sure what the point of this dog is. Contributing to the economy with Vet bills and chow I guess.

I've been looking into a few alarm options, but we're in a very low-crime area. Locked doors and outside lights on at night is simple and makes a big difference, no matter where you live. Pretty hard to say you're worried about home defense if you're not even gonna lock the doors and go Scrooge on the power bill. We have some metal bells on the main doors, cuz batteries suck. We've got some nice LED flood lights that are easy on power and bright. Motion lights can rattle people too, but we find that they just go on and off all night if a leaf blows by, so I switched them.

There were a lot of good tips and ideas in this thread. I very much appreciated all the contributions and thank you, all. This is the kinda stuff that brought me to GT.

·
Registered
49 Posts
REGARDING PREPARING FOR HOME
INVASION TYPE SCENARIOS​

**It well-appears you have well-trained and equipped yourself/yourselves with a good array of Handguns & Anti-Personnel Ammunition types, with extra Magazines strategically placed, (handguns also so as to permit for a "Run & Gun" type scenario should the situation develop or present itself) as well as (even) considered the "Mental Acuity Awareness & Recurrent Mind-Set Conditioning" it appears you also "Have"- BRAVO -(Most Do Not & Never Develop)... .

HEREIN LIES OUR 21st. CENTURY DILEMMA:
**That where "Our" policing agencies are able to quell drug trafficking as much as possible with what they have, etc., they're "Now Faced" with an entire "Sub-Culture-Society" who, "...far too many" are here for: "ALL THEY CAN GET" because S/A &/or Mexico basically: "Shoots First & Arrests Later if/when Necessary", ergo: "They Most Often SHOOT FIRST & you the Criminal have NO RIGHTS until proven innocent--which does you no good when you're DEAD".

**Consequently, more and more "Druggies, Criminals, Burglars, Armed Robbers", etc., are turning to "STATIONARY STOREHOUSES" where Money, Jewelry, Guns, Ammunition, Rx & Street Drugs, Saleable Items, etc., are readily available and where their "Safe Keepers" are most often, "Caught Completely Off-Guard" and where Rapes commonly occur as well as "Beatings, Torture" take place also obviously due to their "Inherent or Drug Induced Anger and Violent Nature".

**Consequently, more and more are "Arming Themselves" while at home so as to: "Remain Vigilant" inside one's own: "STATIONARY STOREHOUSE" you've taken quite a bit of precautions in "Mitigating" should this occur and which I for one of thousands, APPLAUD YOU & remind you to: "REMAIN VIGILANT--NEVER COMPLACENT". Paranoia is not healthy, but that a "Little Bit of Extreme Focus" is VERY HEALTHY!!

**Herein Please Find Some Supplemental Ideas:
1). Doors, Windows & Crawl Spaces as well as Attic Vents are of course one's "FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE", realizing we cannot install "Vault Doors" at each site, but that we can "Fortify Them" with Adequate Hardware above and beyond "ALARM SYSTEMS" which "Alert" us of pending trouble simply because: "No One Breaks Into Someone's Home To Commit Niceties or to bring them Money, a New Car or a Check to payoff their Mortgage"!! So,ooo,ooo, Alarm Systems are "Good", providing we have the necessary accompanying "Tools" to further ensure our "Safety" is maintained.

2). Maintaining One's Safety is the "Order of The Day--Every Day one is Alive" so, "WHAT" do you do once the Alarm System indicates an "Intruder" is in/at your door or window because the "Now Crucial" furtherance which most often equates to having a "Handgun &/or Shotgun" at-the-ready while dialing 9-1-1, (calling the Calvary..., & they will ask if anyone in the house has a Gun, Weapon & you will be instructed from there) should be the next order of business while securing yourself in a "Safe Environment" which most often is the Bedroom, or that two are available, one heavily armored & the other, downstairs,-{of which you have -2-}, are so constructed if/as you see fit) is the next sequence and in complying with the LE Agency you've just called, which "MUST NOT" override your Pending &/or Common Sense Survival & Safety Instincts & Training... . (If gathering all the others in the household is needed, then this is the time to do it JUST PRIOR to Securing Yourself and All Ya'll in the same room). ___YES??

3). Next comes the Mental Acuity and Mindset of "Defending That Doorway" at all costs, "NOT YOUR OWN" and, so as "Not to be in the Funnel-Zone" of that doorway while "Placing Them" into YOURS!!

4). A lot of Nighttime Invasions &/or Burglaries involved the Perpetrator cutting the Phone Lines &/or Power Lines which still occurs nowadays but seldom because "Everyone has Cellphones"--so,ooo,ooo KEEP yours READILY AVAILABLE & CHARGED and Please also Make Sure Your Provider WORKS-WELL where it's MOST NEEDED & not sporadically if you hold your tongue in just the right position.

...and hopefully, prayerfully, the "Calvary" arrives & all's well from there on out... GOOD JOB!! YOU WIN--THEY LOOOOOSE!!!

DAYTIME INTRUSIONS:
1). A whole, different scenario and a little different type of Mindset because a lot of these are: "Premeditated, Staged & Well Rehearsed Invasions which are "Performed" with "Persons & Positions" well-known just in advance of their entry as they "Peek Inside" through blinds, etc.. (a)Some, apparently "Watch & Rehearse" their "Entry by Stacking" outside and whereby the "Gun Reports" heard at the Frontdoor-{my spelling}, is the Backdoor's Signaling for that "Crew or Second Phase" to Enter. (b)Some "Enter & Spray", (depending upon their Intent) all the Occupants (Knowing how many are inside already through casing &/or confirming just prior to Entry & by watching for some time Prior to Entry), thereby leaving no doubt as to their "Urgent & Exigent" mannerisms in this Home Invasion where No Hostages/Witnesses will be Left Behind!! (c)Thus the "Need" to be "Well-Rehearsed & Equipped" of Special Monitoring Equipment outside of Normal Alarm Systems, such as any one of the various Electronic & Cellphone activated, devices on the market... .

HOME, PERSONAL, BUSINESS, SECURITY IS KIND OF LIKE MARTIAL ARTS:
"We Train Hard & Long, Hoping Never To Be Forced To Use What We've Learned--Having the Presence of Mind & Physical Ability that Overcoming the Aggressor will be Neither Long or Hard but Swift & Sure"!!

HAVING THE PROPER MIND-SET:
**Draw, Make your own Limits which conform within existing laws, which are most often met with an answer of: "I was In-Fear of My Life &/or That of My Family, Friends, Fellow Citizens"..., ...that's why I used Deadly Force... type of Mind-Set

Many of the scenarios above were reiterations of actual home invasions where those inside "Did Well Rehearse" several realistic Scenarios we all can and should LEARN FROM. ___YES??

REMEMBER:
**CRIMINALS ARE --NOW-- USING TELEVISION REENACTMENTS, MOVIES, YOUTUBE, & GAMES AS THEIR OWN, PRIVATE TRAINING FILMS WHICH IN-TURN COPY THOSE UTILIZED BY SWAT, AIR FORCE SENTRY/ENTRY TEAMS, ARMY & MARINE UNITS OPERATING IN IRAQ & AFGHANISTAN, etc., so just to remain "On-Par" with them, WE HAVE TO DO THE SAME because THEY KNOW POLICE AGENCY RESPONSE TIMES ARE IN THE MINUTES & WHO TYPICALLY ARRIVE LONG-AFTER THE ATTACKERS HAVE LEFT**

BE AWARE of your SURROUNDINGS 24/7: (Home Also)
REMAIN VIGILANT 24/7: (Home Also)
STAY OUT OF DANGEROUS AREAS: (As Possible)
NEVER BECOME 100% COMPLACENT: (Ever)

**THERE'S NO SITUATION ONE CANNOT IMPROVE &/or ESCAPE FROM** (except for the final one)

P.S.: there's more, but this is basic & room is limited & YOU'VE DONE GREAT...
Blessings~

P.P.S.: "Working in unison, "Teamwork", with both you and your Husband in "Defeating Intruders is Optimal" and when "Separate", greatly less than Optimal simply because "Home Invaders" are/is seldom only "One" because they know full-well-and-good that "Teamwork Accomplishes Much";

"UNITED WE STAND--DIVIDED WE FALL" -(much easier)

Ecclesiastes 4:12: (E.X.B.)
(12) ·An enemy [L Someone] might ·defeat [overpower] one person,
but two people together can ·defend themselves [L stand up against them];
·a rope that is woven of three strings is hard to break [T a three-stranded cord does not quickly snap; C having a friend is good, having more friends is better].

...if one should fall a second can more easily help them rise...

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Holy cow Bravo One, did you write all that for this post or already have it written from other work you've done in the past? Great information. Thanks for taking time to respond!

I have no fortified room in my house as most probably don't but it's a relatively complicated 2 story with a full walk out basement and a lot of odd angles so unless you've been in my house before, chances are, I have an advantage, but... if the BG starts flinging bullets around, I'm in trouble regardless of where I end up stashing myself and anyone who may be in the house with me that needs to be protected. That's where things can go sideways quickly.

Thankfully I live in the 'nicer part of town' and I'm tucked away at the center of our neighborhood so target wise, there are a lot of other homes closer to the access road that are off the road so they'd be better targets than my place, and easier for BGs to flee after a break in. We're not far from the freeway too which gives them several routes out of town.

Still working on getting a dog but haven't chosen a breed yet. It's not to be taken lightly so the selection process is taking time.

Meanwhile, I'm with my G43 (6+1 and a spare mag) around my house and since it's summer, this is now my EDC when I'm out and about.

I'll also look into defining cover zones. Plenty of concealment but not so much cover available.

Safety to you and yours!

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
These things are no joke. Its good to plan ahead, I know I do. A home defense plan is very important.
Hey Real Police, thank you for your insights. Wow, you've seen some mighty awful things in your career. THANK YOU for your service. Thank you thank you!

I have no wife because I'm female though I guess that's not stopping people nowadays. I'm married and have a husband. We're both of the mindset that nobody is going to make us victims so we're doing all the prep activites together and talking about what we'd do in different scenarios. We're giving serious consideration to getting a dog but haven't decided on a breed yet. I love Dobermans. My Uncle Bob had one when I was growing up (everybody has an Uncle Bob, don't they?) That dog was soooooo awesome. He could look like the most vicious dog if he needed to - showing his teeth and giving out a deep growl, but he was as domestic as they come and would sit on the couch and watch TV with us, totally acting like he was one of us people. He was loving and gentle with all of us. Strong as an ox too. Loved that dog.

The tip you gave about being clear with the 911 operator is excellent. A vast majority of my work is communication, either verbally or in writing so I totally get what you mean. I've been on the phone with 911 many times because I've witnessed so many car accidents right as they've happened.

I don't have a Barney pajama outfit but I thought about buying something inconspicuous but specific like a fluorescent light stick (the kind you crack to get them to light up) that you can wear around your wrist that most criminals wouldn't arrive at your house and be wearing and I could leave those scattered around the house located inside each of the gun safes. That might do for now.

Lots of great ideas in this thread though, especially about the dog and about being specific with 911. The worst would be to make the call and to get mistaken to be the perp. :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Holy cow Bravo One, did you write all that for this post or already have it written from other work you've done in the past? Great information. Thanks for taking time to respond!

I have no fortified room in my house as most probably don't but it's a relatively complicated 2 story with a full walk out basement and a lot of odd angles so unless you've been in my house before, chances are, I have an advantage, but... if the BG starts flinging bullets around, I'm in trouble regardless of where I end up stashing myself and anyone who may be in the house with me that needs to be protected. That's where things can go sideways quickly.

Thankfully I live in the 'nicer part of town' and I'm tucked away at the center of our neighborhood so target wise, there are a lot of other homes closer to the access road that are off the road so they'd be better targets than my place, and easier for BGs to flee after a break in. We're not far from the freeway too which gives them several routes out of town.

Still working on getting a dog but haven't chosen a breed yet. It's not to be taken lightly so the selection process is taking time.

Meanwhile, I'm with my G43 (6+1 and a spare mag) around my house and since it's summer, this is now my EDC when I'm out and about.

I'll also look into defining cover zones. Plenty of concealment but not so much cover available.

Safety to you and yours!

Regarding Statistics, Probabilities & Suppositions: They are "Nice" but do not rely on them because we never know "Which End We'll Be On" with any given Situation-Statistic we're relying on at the time. In classes I always like to provide, "Giveaways" which help us during everyday life's business and stress that also: "Statistics are Nice, but DO NOT rely on them...". Here's a couple which might also help:
1). 75% of all Automobile Accidents occur in and around Intersections by about 150'.
2). 75% of all Automobile Accidents occur while Backing-Up.
3). 75% of all Rapes occur in a home, usually the Victim's, ...and by someone they "Know" at least Casually.
4). 100% of all "Accidental Discharges" are not "Accidental" but "Neglectful"!!
5). When a Male points a weapon at someone they "Fully Intend" to shoot them, but they're about "40%" threatening -- while a Female pointing a weapon at someone has "...already killed them 100 times over...".

I'm presently looking into the Newer Electronic Monitoring Devices which "Monitor & Report" any number of "Incidences" I've preset the parameters to so as to even be able to tell if "Someone's Still or Likely to Still Be Inside" BEFORE ENTERING and one which "Talks", has two-way communication, "Listening Capability" as well so as to "Know One's Pending Threat" & to evaluate & react accordingly "BEST"..., I've previewed two at SAM'S & COSTCO and done some on-line researching as well but having a problem with "Reviews" so far.

I've had German Shepherds for years now and found no other replacement comes even close. (same as Police Departments, DOD, HLS, etc.). However, also having a small, "Yippie/Yappie" around like the Chihuahua and training them to "Alert" and not to stop unless you've "Checked" it out is a great compliment to the German Shepherd,,, however,,, after awhile, the GSD will tend to "deescalate" in their "Alerting", (relying on your response to their response) --NOT-- like Dobies who will actually "Discern the Situation" --BEFORE-- barking, etc., which is very admirable so Doberman Pinschers are a very close Second,,, (if not First) and their "Hair Shedding" is not even close to the Shepherds... .

Blessings~

·
NRA Member
17,697 Posts
There is a lot of good advice here and not much that I can add other than to say - if you're unfortunate enough to be targeted, you'll be shocked at how quickly things unfold. Alarm, cameras, dog, levels of defense- anything you can do to make your neighbor's house more attractive than yours and buy as much time as possible.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Our 2nd floor bedroom is our safe room. Bed is tight to stairwell wall, yeah you gotta stick a pillow behind it when.... never mind. Anyway if they shoot through the floor the headboard area is pretty safe. Then my wife will cover the door with a 38spc handgun and a short 20 ga. with buckshot from an angle. I will cover the door from the opposite angle with 45acp, buckshot and AR15 .223. It's a crossfire. There will be a lot of clean up and repair work required. Hope it never happens.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
There is a lot of good advice here and not much that I can add other than to say - if you're unfortunate enough to be targeted, you'll be shocked at how quickly things unfold. Alarm, cameras, dog, levels of defense- anything you can do to make your neighbor's house more attractive than yours and buy as much time as possible.

While there is good info in this thread there is also a lot of amateur hour armchair commamdo/Internet hero nonsense told in an overly wordy fashion.....

As someone with 28+ years of street experience in police work in bad neighborhoods, my experience with these things and my observations are very similar to those of Real Police....Take a good look at his posts in this thread, as his is by far the best, and most practical advice given here.

Make yourself, and your home, the hardest target possible.

·
NRA Member
17,697 Posts
While there is good info in this thread there is also a lot of amateur hour armchair commamdo/Internet hero nonsense told in an overly wordy fashion.....

As someone with 28+ years of street experience in police work in bad neighborhoods, my experience with these things and my observations are very similar to those pf Real Police....Take a good look at his posts in thos thread, as his is by far the best, and most practical advice given here.

Make yourself, and your home, the hardest target possible.
To be clear for others, I have 0 yrs police experience. I grew up in a crappy area and endured a lot. His (real police) experience and advice was one of the key posts that caught my eye. I've had people attempt to break in while I was home when I was young. We had a successful break in when we weren't home. I've seen the effect of bringing a dog into the picture. And in recent years I know a person that successfully survived a home invasion - late afternoon.

·
Command Sergeant Major (retired)
4,840 Posts
I'm hoping I can get some references to find out what would be the best way to go about getting trained how to respond to an in-home invasion. Our house has 3 stores including a full finished basement and the layout is atypical since it was a custom built home. There are plenty of large spaces in the home where one could hide but very little cover. Our property is 2.5 Acres so it wouldn't be easy for neighbors to know anything was wrong if a home invasion occurred.

We're getting a home security system soon but don't have one yet. Even with one, I'd still like to know how to prepare for a home invasion scenario. I have no idea where to start but I've seen a few classes offered but wonder if they're even any good. I'm starting my internet search for videos on proper ways to sweep rooms just to start somewhere.

I also have a few tactical flash light / strobe lights that I plan to 'plant' at various places around the house. I've done some research on usage of tac lights including advice to use the momentary feature and also sweep the light across an area and keep moving.

I had a freaky occurrence at my own home last year (about 8 months ago) and I vowed 'never again'.

The two of us were upstairs in our 2 story home when a motion sensor chime went off in our house. We stood there frozen, staring at each other with wide eyes with a thousand thoughts running through our minds including not having a handgun in the house!

My husband grabbed a .22 rifle and I stood there frozen as I had an inner argument about fight or flight. I chose fight.

We crept over toward the half wall overlooking the dining room and living room and asked if anybody was there. Yeah right. As if the perp would respond! After what seemed to be forever, I decided that this was crap. I ran down the stairs and flicked lights on as quickly as I could while I was running. I have the advantage knowing the rat maze house layout. Turns out, nobody was there. False alarm. But, it really made us think.

So I learned to shoot. We both got our concealed permits, I've since bought 4 handguns to start my own collection, and have scoured the internet for as much advice as possible on mental preparation, safety, training, drills, practice, etc.

We've visited various ranges several times and I think I've gone through about 3000 rounds since mid January. I've even been to the range myself to get extra practice in. I'm working on various distances, and have had a chance to shoot at steel targets. What fun that was!

So I have excellent quality firearms, have done ballistics research on a variety of JHP. I've tried several JHPs and decided upon which brand I like best. Bought myself a high quality leather OWB holster, a high quality leather gun belt (actually, 2 belts), have a safe storage method in place, etc. I've got everything in place that needs to be accounted for including spare mags loaded with JHPs. I CCW at home no matter which room I'm in. And my husband just smiles at me. He has a better chance at hand to hand than I do because of his strength but I wouldn't have much of a chance due to a medical condition so why risk it?

Anyway, any advice anyone might have about in-home training would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would advise you to take the NRAs "Personal Protection Inside the Home" It is a great baseline for future training and will cover some things you may not have thought about.

The security company is there to sell you stuff; their products.

Contact your local PD and they may have an officer who will come around and make suggestions as to how you can make your home more secure.

If you do go with security cameras, make them conspicuous. Nobody wants to be filled in the commission of a crime and if they can see them, they are less likely to hit your house.

Stashing flashlights around the house is a good idea, but have you considered a weapon mounted light?

Motion sensor lights both inside and outside are a great idea.

I am faced with a similar situation as my closest neighbor is almost 1/2 mile away. Police response times will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 minutes or more.

Do you have a dog? If you can care for one dogs have prevented more residential burglaries than all the locks in the world.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
I would advise you to take the NRAs "Personal Protection Inside the Home" It is a great baseline for future training and will cover some things you may not have thought about.

The security company is there to sell you stuff; their products.

Contact your local PD and they may have an officer who will come around and make suggestions as to how you can make your home more secure.

If you do go with security cameras, make them conspicuous. Nobody wants to be filled in the commission of a crime and if they can see them, they are less likely to hit your house.

Stashing flashlights around the house is a good idea, but have you considered a weapon mounted light?

Motion sensor lights both inside and outside are a great idea.

I am faced with a similar situation as my closest neighbor is almost 1/2 mile away. Police response times will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 minutes or more.

Do you have a dog? If you can care for one dogs have prevented more residential burglaries than all the locks in the world.
This is a great post, with good ideas....the part about contacting your local law enforcement agency for a home security survey is especially on point. These services are provided at no cost to you, and will provide you with a good idea ( and a list) of ways to improve your home's physical security...

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I took the NRA course about home protection but that was really basic and built on common sense.

There are plenty of excellent recommendations on this thread that at least get me thinking about a few things.

I like what ranger1968 said. I'm not gonna kid myself that the Hollywood defense scenes would be anywhere in my area of skill. Watching Keanu Reeves training program was interesting to say the least, but having such tactics in my back pocket are sorely out of question if you know what I mean. I'm not trying to replicate an unrealistic defense scenario. I'm just trying to determine a pragmatic, yet effective defense plan, just in case. That said, I do appreciate even the out of the ordinary suggestions as it's interesting to read about how far people will go with their home defense and they're not afraid of sharing their thoughts openly in case someone else out there is equally willing to go the extreme. Amateur or not, it's really all about mental rehearsal and planning. If you never think about these things, you never give yourself a chance to plan to do, or not to do, whatever it is that might be a choice in the heat of the moment.

More than likely, as with many participants of forums like these, not a single incident will occur in my lifetime and I'd like to think I'll be one of the lucky ones, but I'm not going down without a fight if it does happen.

I am thankful though, to have so many LEOs comment on threads like this. It's very helpful to know from a LEO point of view, what else to consider. My sister is great friends with a LEO so next time he's over for a BBQ, I'll have to put him to work with my questions. :)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.