Glock Talk banner

Are you prepared for an in-home invasion in your home?

• YES. Too bad for the perp(s)

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • NO. But I should get myself ready

Votes: 4 12.5%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
MAG40 Student and Mas Ayoob's video is sound advice. The object is to survive, not have the perps hog tied and waiting when LEO's arrive. We have dogs to alert us. Since it's my wife, myself and two dogs, it would be easier than those that have to gather #1 priority, children. I'm a shotgun believer. Keep a 20 ga. pump-18" bbl in our bedroom and each night I place my M&P 45 under the edge of the bed. Have a good flashlight with the shotgun and since our bedroom is upstairs, one or two shots would clear the staircase. Statistics show that any shots fired tend to send them running. We keep a cell phone in the bedroom. Response time where we live is 30 minutes unless a deputy happens to be in the area. We are rural which changes things. I couldn't hide in our walk-in closet for 30 minutes. Right or wrong my wife and I would probably engage. Mas Ayoob's videos usually deal with urban/suburban areas. My 10 cents.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
A lot depends on the layout of your home/apt. Most all are different, we know that. I don't think that there's a "one size fits all" plan. Response time from LEO's could be a deciding factor in your choice of weapons. Hiding armed quietly in an obscure basement or 2nd floor closet for 4-5 minutes would IMO, be better than a shooting. If response time is longer, it's your castle, only you can know the best way to defend it and those inside. It's not rocket science, and chances are that the intruders are not rocket scientists. They are there to grab some valuables and get out. Intruders doing a slow and methodical room by room, closet by closet search is rare. Besides, they're probably stoned and have no plan. My $1.00 worth.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Mine is a big 75# Airedale. She hears everything, & knows normal sounds from not so normal. She will here a car door slam in the front of the house with the windows closed. She will go investigate at the window. She does not bark unless it is something out of the ordinary, like the car is in front of my house & people are exiting the car & coming up my walk. No I didn't train her for this, Airedales are just like that. She barks once I am awake, because she rarely barks. Anything around the door will get a massive response from her.
Summer of 74 on my BIL and sisters dairy farm. Relatives came with a big Airedale and spent a couple months. Lots of other farm dogs around. G. Sheperds, a Collie, and some hunting hounds. Doris was the Airedale, and she fit like a glove. Her and the two Sheperds and the Collie had bringing the cows in the barn every morning, down pat. On the rare occasion that there was no work to be done, Doris and I would nap under a big pine tree. She loved to cuddle. I was 20, but I think I cried when she had to leave. Just dog talk.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Our 2nd floor bedroom is our safe room. Bed is tight to stairwell wall, yeah you gotta stick a pillow behind it when.... never mind. Anyway if they shoot through the floor the headboard area is pretty safe. Then my wife will cover the door with a 38spc handgun and a short 20 ga. with buckshot from an angle. I will cover the door from the opposite angle with 45acp, buckshot and AR15 .223. It's a crossfire. There will be a lot of clean up and repair work required. Hope it never happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.