Glock Talk banner

Are you prepared for an in-home invasion in your home?

• YES. Too bad for the perp(s)

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • NO. But I should get myself ready

Votes: 4 12.5%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
"You don't get what you don't ask for."
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping I can get some references to find out what would be the best way to go about getting trained how to respond to an in-home invasion. Our house has 3 stores including a full finished basement and the layout is atypical since it was a custom built home. There are plenty of large spaces in the home where one could hide but very little cover. Our property is 2.5 Acres so it wouldn't be easy for neighbors to know anything was wrong if a home invasion occurred.

We're getting a home security system soon but don't have one yet. Even with one, I'd still like to know how to prepare for a home invasion scenario. I have no idea where to start but I've seen a few classes offered but wonder if they're even any good. I'm starting my internet search for videos on proper ways to sweep rooms just to start somewhere.

I also have a few tactical flash light / strobe lights that I plan to 'plant' at various places around the house. I've done some research on usage of tac lights including advice to use the momentary feature and also sweep the light across an area and keep moving.

I had a freaky occurrence at my own home last year (about 8 months ago) and I vowed 'never again'.

The two of us were upstairs in our 2 story home when a motion sensor chime went off in our house. We stood there frozen, staring at each other with wide eyes with a thousand thoughts running through our minds including not having a handgun in the house!

My husband grabbed a .22 rifle and I stood there frozen as I had an inner argument about fight or flight. I chose fight.

We crept over toward the half wall overlooking the dining room and living room and asked if anybody was there. Yeah right. As if the perp would respond! After what seemed to be forever, I decided that this was crap. I ran down the stairs and flicked lights on as quickly as I could while I was running. I have the advantage knowing the rat maze house layout. Turns out, nobody was there. False alarm. But, it really made us think.

So I learned to shoot. We both got our concealed permits, I've since bought 4 handguns to start my own collection, and have scoured the internet for as much advice as possible on mental preparation, safety, training, drills, practice, etc.

We've visited various ranges several times and I think I've gone through about 3000 rounds since mid January. I've even been to the range myself to get extra practice in. I'm working on various distances, and have had a chance to shoot at steel targets. What fun that was!

So I have excellent quality firearms, have done ballistics research on a variety of JHP. I've tried several JHPs and decided upon which brand I like best. Bought myself a high quality leather OWB holster, a high quality leather gun belt (actually, 2 belts), have a safe storage method in place, etc. I've got everything in place that needs to be accounted for including spare mags loaded with JHPs. I CCW at home no matter which room I'm in. And my husband just smiles at me. He has a better chance at hand to hand than I do because of his strength but I wouldn't have much of a chance due to a medical condition so why risk it?

Anyway, any advice anyone might have about in-home training would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
"You don't get what you don't ask for."
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestion about hardening the perimeter. I will look into additional ways, minus putting bars on our windows. Locks obviously don't prevent windows from break-ins. We have a heavy duty triple bolt steel structured front door but lower level windows at ground level like most homes. Storm windows with multiple panes, etc. Still doesn't make me feel secure but I'll call the locksmith who helped us replace the lock on the doors and will see if he has any suggestions.

·
GTDS Member #49
10,103 Posts
I have been awoken at night by 'who knows what'. Takes a bit to get your **** together. If someone bashed in the door, I'd likely still be getting my **** together while they were standing over my bed.
But there are those times when I'm still awake, or got woke up earlier that I could snatch the .357 off the headboard and 'go to town. Slow them down getting in.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't recommend saying "is anybody there?"

Sounds like you are in the process of doing the things anyone can reasonably do. If I could make any suggestions, the first would be get a dog. Doesn't even have to be a big, mean dog, just a dog that will bark at noises.

Others will probably suggest you get a shotgun. I have a couple, but they wouldn't be what I grabbed first, or even second. I will grab the nearest handgun and if there is time, fight my way to my Tavor or my AR15.

This article is worth a read.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/5/26/the-ar-for-home-defense-one-experts-opinion

·
Super Moderator
19,661 Posts
Time is what you need. He's picked the time for the invasion, you're there doing all that normal, attention-engrossing stuff. You need time to spin up and get on the proper footing. Doors, window films, choice of plant life outside the house, door chimes...A pattern of that is what guys you that time.

Tactics come next. With only a few exceptions, you're better off in the Alamo than out hunting.

More than the basic guns is way down on the list.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Except in the event of the Apocalypse, the strategy most law-abiding citizens will want to follow in the event of a break-in or anything else going bump in the night is not to launch a search-and-destroy mission where they're sweeping and clearing rooms in an attempt to hunt down and detain the interloper(s).

Instead, difficult though it may be for the ego of the king and/or queen of the "castle" to accept, rather than to repel invaders the objective is for the entire family to survive the breach of the castle walls.

Read Massad Ayoob and you'll see that he advises that your home defense plan involve instantly arming yourself (if it can be instantly done), then notifying authorities, then gathering your family and strategically retreating to the most secure and defensible room in the house, and from there to assume a defensive position, await the arrival of the authorities - whether it will take them 3 minutes or 30 minutes to arrive, and to assist the responders via the telephone and the police dispatcher.

He has an excellent, brief video on the subject:

Just as those of us who CC do so not to usurp the role of the police but to improve the odds of our families and ourselves surviving an encounter with Bad Guys, the objective of the homeowner is for his or her entire family to survive the home invasion. The typical civilian cannot take the place of a team of LEOs who train professionally to anticipate and defeat specific threats while sweeping and clearing a residence or place of business. And lest we be tempted to think otherwise, the wise homeowner will realize that if he or she is killed or disabled while needlessly going off in search for the Bad Guy(s), with LEOs not yet on the scene the family is completely at the mercy of the invaders.

Better to instead retreat, keep the family safe, let LEOs do their job, and have everyone in the family live to see the next sunrise.

Stay safe. Best to all.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
MAG40 Student and Mas Ayoob's video is sound advice. The object is to survive, not have the perps hog tied and waiting when LEO's arrive. We have dogs to alert us. Since it's my wife, myself and two dogs, it would be easier than those that have to gather #1 priority, children. I'm a shotgun believer. Keep a 20 ga. pump-18" bbl in our bedroom and each night I place my M&P 45 under the edge of the bed. Have a good flashlight with the shotgun and since our bedroom is upstairs, one or two shots would clear the staircase. Statistics show that any shots fired tend to send them running. We keep a cell phone in the bedroom. Response time where we live is 30 minutes unless a deputy happens to be in the area. We are rural which changes things. I couldn't hide in our walk-in closet for 30 minutes. Right or wrong my wife and I would probably engage. Mas Ayoob's videos usually deal with urban/suburban areas. My 10 cents.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I couldn't hide in our walk-in closet for 30 minutes. Right or wrong my wife and I would probably engage. Mas Ayoob's videos usually deal with urban/suburban areas. My 10 cents.
You can't hide and just pray they don't find you for sure.

You also don't have to go looking for trouble. Everything in my house is insured, and I'd much rather avoid shooting anybody if I could help it. Plus, I know you understand the tactical advantage of an ambush. (Since they don't know what room you're in, what you're armed with, or what barricade you may have constructed)

Kids change things for sure if that's a consideration though.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not to double post, but one thing we haven't talked about (that I saw) are weapons placement.

I know plenty of folks who leave guns "hidden" all over their house, as if burglars who enter the place and start trashing it won't find them. PLEASE don't do this.
- Arming the bad guys is not in your interest
- Carrying a gun yourself is infinitely preferable to leaving weapons all over your house in terms of speed and surety of access.
- If they find the weapons and leave without a confrontation, those weapons will likely be used in a later, subsequent crime.

If you're like me, and your safe is in a common room, have a high quality, super heavy safe and bolt that sucker to the floor. You need something that can't be loaded up and toted out in the time it takes for the robbery to occur. You don't want to have to go on the offense to prevent the safe from being taken.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Get into the habit of carrying at home too
Sound advice. Basic rule of thumb for me is if house is unlocked and alarm off( like right now sitting on back patio enjoying the weather) I am carrying. It helps if you have options for different carry situations. I have some pistols rigged with holsters for IWB carry during summer with only a light t shirt; others rigged with OWB holster for winter carry under a jacket; and lastly, small pocket guns in sticky Remora holsters that I can simply tuck into a pocket or waist band of gym shorts/sweats without a belt( like right now chilling on back patio in "lounge lizard" shorts).

·
Millenium #3936
6,643 Posts
You are not going to get what you need by watching youtube.. Get some real training from an outfit that incorporates "force on force" scenarios. Everyone will have a different home defense plan.. some better than others. Generally speaking I do not suggest that a person go looking for the BG unless you have other family members in danger. I have a repel boarders kind of mentality and I plan to get a 911 call out, lay the phone down and prepare to defend the room I am occupying.

I always have a firearm readily available but I will not carry a gun on my person while inside my home. If I did, it would simply remind me that I have failed in my responsibility to properly secure my home. A determined criminal can certainly get into my house but it wont be faster than I can casually walk to the nightstand.

The best home defense plan is one that causes the badguy to select another house. Home defense starts at the curb!

·
Banned
641 Posts
Sound advice. Basic rule of thumb for me is if house is unlocked and alarm off( like right now sitting on back patio enjoying the weather) I am carrying. It helps if you have options for different carry situations. I have some pistols rigged with holsters for IWB carry during summer with only a light t shirt; others rigged with OWB holster for winter carry under a jacket; and lastly, small pocket guns in sticky Remora holsters that I can simply tuck into a pocket or waist band of gym shorts/sweats without a belt( like right now chilling on back patio in "lounge lizard" shorts).
Define "unlocked". I live in an apartment so no patio but when I lived in a home if I was on the patio the front door was locked.

Now that I'm in an apartment and an alarm isn't an option I just carry period

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
121,624 Posts
Now that I'm in an apartment and an alarm isn't an option I just carry period
Simpli-safe alarms were invented for apartments.
Wireless and battery operated, take them with you when you move out.
Either pay $15 per month for monitoring, or skip it and just enjoy your noisemakers.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.