close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

training collars...

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by testosterone, Aug 11, 2004.

1. testosterone

testosterone

ive tried just about everything with my dog and just cant get him to learn not to jump on people or tear up the sprinklers in the yard and whatever else he can find. he has tons of toys, most of which he destroys in the first few minutes of me giving them. So, the other day i made a huge dog run for him. Its about 30yrds long by about 9ft wide and he has a small pool in there, and an abundant amount of fresh water and water misters and shade and shelter and a dog house..He just keeps crying and howling at nites and in the mrning...I only put him in there when im not at home and he isnt in the house. its gotten to the point where my neighbors have started to complain. Im thinking a training collar would do well so when he start to cry and howl i can 'shock' him? any thoughts? its either that or i have to give him up and I dont want to do that at all.

2. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

First, what kind of dog are we talking about? Second, they do make no bark collars that will do the zapping for you when the dog barks. From what I've heard they work fairly well. But they could discourage him from barking when you would want him too, like if someone was breaking in the house or something. It's tough, I have my dog crate trained and he is in there when I am not home. He is 3 now and has matured greatly, to the point I am going to start leaving out in the house when I go out. Obviously for short times at first. Not knowing the age and breed/size of your dog it is hard to tell what may be best.

3. Bill73

Bill73

I'd find a highly recommended trainer and ask for advice. Some times that can work with solving a problem and some times not. A trainer should be able to at least point you in the right direction.

4. joker1

joker1

You can use a bark collar as a "bark inhibitor" by carefully adjusting the shock level so it's not to high. The dog can then decide if something is "worth" barking at. I've used them on several dogs with pretty good success. If you try using electric and want more advice, email me I'm glad to help.
    A trained dog is a happy dog.

5. testosterone

testosterone

he is a mixed breed i got from the shelter. i think they said he is half sheppard and half pitbull...he looks more sheppard to me in the body but has a pit head and a sheppard snout...kind of a weird lookin dog..he is energetic and very socialable but he is just so strong and loud...he jumps on people and ive tried everything to do to stop him from doing that (he knocked my 90yr old aunt down the other day trying to play with her..)and now the crying and howliing...so i was thiniing a training collar instead of a bark collar...i just find it kind of sadistic. i dont want him to hurt or anything.

6. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Well after hearing that he has other issues, not just barking, a training collar would probably be a better choice. I will second what Bill73 said. Find a trainer who works with training collars and learn how to use it the correct way. I don't care what they charge it will be worth it. They may be able to solve your dogs behavior problems without the collar. Ask them for some references and check them out. A good trainer will be more than happy to give you a list of references. Many local trainers will come to your home to do the training. We found a trainer near us and she worked miracles with our lab when he was young. He had the same jumping problem you describe and after his first hour with her he was a different dog. This was 2 years ago and she charged $40 an hour. I even offered her our spare bedroom to live in.:) I seriously would have paid her twice that much and have been happy. A trained dog is a happy dog with a happy owner. HTH.

7. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

said before...a trained dog is a happy dog and owner.

i have relatives whose shepherds have seperation anxiety...they are very social dogs. a good trainer and a lot of time spent working with the dog should help.

also, try to give the dog a 'job' to do when you're gone. my shepherd has been a hellraiser until fairly recently, and still is sometimes. she won't stay in a cage (shes broken outta 2 now and pretty much rendered them useless.)

i gave her the 'job' of tearing bones apart when i'm gone, and she seems pretty happy with that so far.

8. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Ding ding ding AND WE have a winner!!!
    Awesome post Jeep!!
    I have been one of those trainers for 10years and that is awesome to hear you had a good experience. ^c
    testosterone,
    First thing a trainer will tell you is to put a leash on the dog when you are home and tie the leash to you... No one does this but us trainers and it works amazingly well. The dog can not get into trouble if it is tied to you?? right? Testo, start there and contact a reputable trainer in your area and ask for at least 10 refs.
    I hope this helps...

;c to those recommending a trainer

9. testosterone

testosterone

thanks for the replies...ive started to work with him and actually have him laying down...when i stand above him and wave my hand in a downward motion he lays...but then he gets right back up...but its a start.

10. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

testosterone,
    Congrats on working with your dog,
    however what you taught him will take a professional trainer 10minutes.

CALL A TRAINER!!!!!

;c

11. testosterone

testosterone

there are so many trainers in vegas....im going through and trying to find the best one...thanks