Train for 25 yard shooting

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by vicvan901, Aug 19, 2020.

1. vicvan901

vicvan901

Any tips/info on training for the 25 yard shots. Especially problematic for me with eyesight going down hill and no bullseye on D1 target. Thanks

2. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

maybe start at 15 or 20 yards

4. professor309

professor309

Are you getting a crisp hard focus on the front sight? I’m assuming training fir GSSF on the 5 to Glock from where this is posted.

This is the way I train and practice short of setting up an entire 5 to Glock. I run a timer and shoot various combinations and really review each shot.
    I might put two on each target (2 paper and 1 steel)
    First shot, first target splits, second target acquisition, second split, third target aq, third split.

Work on 25y paper aq and splits.
    First shot on short target usually 7y only.
    Aq each target, etc
    Work back to front also.

Most people I have trained/helped an issue with their cadence. Their splits are almost identical regardless of distance. So they are either too slow on the first target or two fast on the rear. You have to be able to switch speeds. And you have to be able to switch from target focus on the near targets to a hard sight focus on the rear targets. And figure out if sight or hard focus works best fit you at the targets in between 5 and 25 yards.

Cadence was (actually still is) a BIG issue on a friend I’ve helped some that made Master this weekend. I even timed some of his match runs this weekend and should him where his cadence was off. Another friend I train with made great strides focusing on the same things and scored her first two pistol wins at her last match including a very respectable finish ahead of most of the masters in one division.

You have to figure out you eyesight though. I struggle with it (aging but always defective eyes in my case) also and yes, the “blank” D1 at 25 is more of a struggle.

5. 1cm

1cm

Dead center on a d1 target is the center from l-r, and t-b edges. Don’t let your eyes trick you because the corners are radiused.

SARDG, Jayman28 and professor309 like this.
  6. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye Arms Dealer

Are you able to find success at closer distances (20, 15, and 10 yards)?

If not, I would start closer, and then gradually increase the distance for engagement. At 25 yards, you really don't need to see all that much, but you do need to know what you need to see, and have solid fundamentals. Once you're able to get your hits consistently, you can then start apply the pressure of time.

7. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

Just bite the bullet (deliberate pun).

Get glasses specifically for front sight distances. It is by far the most cost effective equipment upgrade you can dump money into. You do it once, and it then magically applies to all your pistols.

I just got my last free Glock Pistol win. I spent $300 on transfer fees, target sights, extra magazines, grip tape, and (-) connector. That's more than what a set of glasses and corresponding exam would cost.

When I did it, my scores improved 15% right out of the gate.

8. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Slow down and move closer.

Don't speed up until you can't miss.

9. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

This may help some:

Get your optometrist to give you a prescription for your dominant eye (the one you use for the sights) that is in focus at your trigger distance. Then the other eye should be in focus for long distance.

Then either get those in shooting glasses, or (as I do) in contact lenses. For olde eyes like mine it made a world of difference.

Dave Shooter likes this.
  10. Eagle54

Eagle54

Use a rifle? Somewhat sarcastic, but also kind of serious. :)

11. professor309

professor309

Ask your optometrist about multi-focal contact lenses.

12. FillYerHands

Yep, won't work for these ****ty orbs.

13. FillYerHands

Not sure they would allow it in GSSF.
    </sarcasm>

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Can you see your front sight? 'Cause if you have been focusing on the target, you're doing it wrong and that's why you can't shoot at 25 yards.

The bullseye is in the middle - you're not supposed to see it and there's no reason you should. In fact, you should be able to shoot better without it.

Focus on the front sight and keeping your sight alignment is way more important than your sight picture.

NJ1911 likes this.
  15. Bradley T

Bradley T

Lots of fundamentals in rifle shooting that lend themselves well in pistol also.

16. vicvan901

vicvan901

Thanks all. I was a little vague in my post, the word “Eyesight “ in particular. RDS and eyeglasses change, excellent suggestion but I was looking for tips on how to sight D1 target with no bull center. At 25 nothing to see to place front sight. Prof309, 1cm, Bren, 1Roundeye, Thanks in particular for direction. There is no bull center on IDPA or b27 bad guy so I will try the try Tips you gave me. Thanks Vic

17. Terry G

Terry G

A tip from a fellow Firearm Instructor: "Make sure your Student's know that that target at 25 yards is the same size it was at 7 yards."

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

And, like I said, that's your problem. You don't need a bullseye to aim at.

When precision shooters, who routinely shoot a 3" 10 ring at 50 yards are training, one of the drills is to turn the target backwards and shoot at blank paper, which helps tighten up your groups, because you are supposed to be looking at your front sight, but at a bullseye on a piece of paper. The target isn't important. Alight your sights in the middle of the cardboard and watch your front sight (no, you aren't). Worry about keeping your sights aligned - don't worry about keep them on one spot of the target.

Brian Zins took his pocket knife and put a scratch on the front sight of my main .45 and .22 - if I ever can't see that tiny scratch clearly, I'm not concentrating on my front sight hard enough. I can shoot 50 yards targets in reading glasses designed for close up vision, because I don't care about the target. If it was allowed, I guarantee a lot of bullseye shooters would turn their B8s and B6s backwards and shoot at the blank paper to raise their scores in competition.

19. wlkjr

wlkjr

Shoot the rear targets a little slower. Aim for the center of the target and concentrate on watching the front sight. Remember the reset. Did I say watch the front sight?

PM720 likes this.