Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to restore an old boat trailer. It must have new wheels and tires. It is an 8 inch rim with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. The old tire size is 5.7/5 x 8. I cant find this size anywhere! Is it the same thing as 5.7 x 8? It seems the size marking on trailer tires have changed in the last 30 years. This may be a stupid question, but i'd rather ask a dumb question rather than waste $80. Thanks!:wavey:

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
It might be, just take the tire to the tire shop and have them replace it. Tires don't have to be the exact same size to fit the same wheel. On my caddy I have some cheap temporary tires so it will roll. They are 185s versus the 225s that were on there, they are just smaller diameter. The tire shop people will be able to set you up.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be, just take the tire to the tire shop and have them replace it. Tires don't have to be the exact same size to fit the same wheel. On my caddy I have some cheap temporary tires so it will roll. They are 185s versus the 225s that were on there, they are just smaller diameter. The tire shop people will be able to set you up.
The wheels are shot too and need replaced. I am ordering online because I get free shipping and I cant find the 8 inch 5 on 4.5 wheel locally. This will be my 2nd old boat trailer rebuild. The first was a 1958 model Sears trailer. It originally came equipped with road rated wheel barrow style wheels and tries so I had to buy hub assemblies and replaced them with 4.8x8's

·
Registered
777 Posts
That is a Ford and Jeep pattern. Try going to a used tire store or junk yard and get them to fit a 15 inch Ford rim and tire to check fit. They can sell you spare tires and wheels from wrecked cars fairly cheap. Then you will have full size tires and not those little clown wheels.

·
↓ hog hunter ↓
9,402 Posts
That is a Ford and Jeep pattern. Try going to a used tire store or junk yard and get them to fit a 15 inch Ford rim and tire to check fit. They can sell you spare tires and wheels from wrecked cars fairly cheap. Then you will have full size tires and not those little clown wheels.
He said he was restoring.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im restoring it (not real high end) and it is also a trailer for a 14ft flat bottom boat. Why on earth would I want 15" cars tires on a 14ft boat trailer?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I guess my question would be how hard are you towing the boat. Long Distance? Hard country?

The reason I ask is because our beach launch boat doesn't even have leaf springs.

Based on everything that has been said so far however Id just buy/find a new axle.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
check with the guys at thehulltruth

·
It ain't over
8,288 Posts
It seems like I always have an old trailer or two around that I"m rebuilding. I have 6 trailers now - three boat trailers and 3 utility. One boat and one utility are being rebuilt.

I had to straighten the axle on the utility trailer. I used an air over hydraulic jack and straightened it cold. A railroad boilermaker helped me - or I helped him. He said heat would bend the axle at the point it was bent. Cold straightening would return the axle to its original shape. Worked great.

I don't know what it is about trailers... And lawnmowers too... But, since you're rebuilding, pull a hub and take it to your local fleet/tractor/hardware store where they sell wheel/tire combos. It usually cheaper to buy the wheel/tire together than to buy the tire and have it mounted on your wheel. And, if you buy the combo, you get a brand new wheel that doesn't need to be restored.

Your tire size should be on the tire itself.

·
Gun User
1,038 Posts
The new tire size is read five-seventy-eight or 5.70-8 very common trailer tire, cost is between 20 and 30 dollars depending if its a Load range B (4 ply) or load range C (6 ply).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts