close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Traffic Stops while Carrying

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by CodyBoy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

When pulled over in TX we are required to show CHL if carrying.

Curious how far that info goes as far as when the officer completes his paperwork and is turned in at the station.

What I'm getting at is , if I am pulled over in a company owned DOT vehicle , and lets say I was carrying,(comp doesn't allow it) can they find out I was carrying.

I already know they will know about the ticket if I receive one, because we have to report it.

Once a year they pull our driving record for all DOT drivers and it lists all tickets or whatever.

If I were ticketed and it shows up on that report will the info that I was carrying at the time be on there?

Thanks.

2. blueiron

blueiron

No direct knowledge of it, but anything is possible.

3. Imnotascoolasu

Imnotascoolasu

You're no longer required to notify, and to answer your question no

4. trifecta

trifecta

Not exactly correct. The requirement to notify still exists. If you fail to notify, it is not a B Misdemeanor and DPS will no longer suspend your CHL if an officer sends them a note. See 411.205 of the Government Code.

Basically, you are required to notify but there is no penalty associated with the failure to comply. On the other hand, many of the TX CHL holders on here feel like it may have helped them into a warning vs a citation. Once the officer runs you he will find out about the CHL that you chose to not notify him about. You go ahead and do what you think is right.:wavey:

5. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Tickets don't get reported to your company, only you, as the licensed driver. However, if you get your company car towed... or you get in an accident, they will know, but even though, the police report for the tow or accident won't include inane details as you carrying at the time of the accident unless it was a contributing factor, like if you were playing with it and it went off and hit your foot and you crashed while tending to what's left of your big toe.

6. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

Well I may be wrong, but each year we get a DOT certification and there is a print out from Austin I think , and it has all driving convictions listed.

Mine has always been clean as I have not received but 2 tickets in 43 years! :supergrin:

Well I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Not planning on playing with it or shooting myself in the foot.

I know I am not breaking the law but feel like every cop I pass is going to pull me over "if" I were carrying while in company vehicle.

Don't get the same feeling while driving otherwise.

I did get in a very minor wreck at work and the officer took mine and the other guys license back to his car to write everything up. Never asked if I was carrying (wasn't anyhow) but thought if he ran my license it would have notified him of my CHL. He never said anything if it did though.

7. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I'm not in your state so this might be a worthless post.

In my state there is a requirement to notify. The only reason anyone might find out is if the violation is one that could affect the status of your permit. If it is a traffic infraction, there's no way for anyone to find out such as a "reporting system" or something like that.